News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 20, 2012, 11:41:33 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 20, 2012, 08:04:27 AM
Anyone know if this is a new piece for this year ?
Desc. said it was a Kaiyodo Gorgosaurus bust, 19cm

I also read that this was a new Kaiyodo release, but I do not like it at all. The composition makes no sense to me. That's one reason for it being doubtful that it's really made by Kaiyodo ;D. But who knows?

Kaiyodo has made busts before. Not of dinosaurs, but of a few modern mammals.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 20, 2012, 06:33:19 PM
Quote from: Metallisuchus on June 20, 2012, 06:15:11 PM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on June 20, 2012, 06:44:06 AM
Hey Ajax! Good to see you!!

Yeah, the new Schleich "World of History" figures are basically the same or similar sculpts as their most recent figures in the past few years, but a little smaller and with different paint jobs. The only absolute new one is the 'Velociraptor". Check out the first page of this thread for pics of all of them.

You know I keep hearing that Carnegie made their Brachio in a smaller scale to keep the price down. But, they ended up only having just that one figure for 2012. I think they could've made it at least 1/40. It would've definitely sold. This 1/50 scale figure is being sold for between $25.99 - $29.99 at average. I can't imagine a 1/40 would be any more than a $10 increase ($35.99 - $39.99).

Sean, the Papo Brachio would cost you $50 up there? I'm able to get mine for $36!

The Juvenile Rexes are $13.99 at TGF Toys and $12.50 at DeJankins. $16 seems a bit much IMO for those little guys.

That's where I ordered mine - TGF. I was going to order from www.reallygreattoys.com because they have the best prices and a great selection, but I had $60 sitting in my Paypal account and they don't accept Paypal there, so TGF it was. My shipment may arrive today, as I placed the order on Sunday night. Why are the juvy rexes so much? They're roughly the same size as the $9-ish Pachycephalosaurus.

And regarding sauropod figures - I actually prefer the bigger ones to be downsized. Not even for cost, but I just don't want something that's going to take up too much room.

There are plenty of smaller sauropods though..not many really big ones.  I honestly just want them bigger than my other figures..sauropods in general were BIG...I like my collection to reflect that. Not have an 8" sauropod hidden behind a 12" Spinosaurus. ;)

Yeah I get where you're coming from. I've always been about scale when it came to everything, but dinosaurs vary so much in size from a Microraptor to a Mamenchisaurus that I just gave up on scale. I'd like my sauropods bigger than everything else, just not so big that I couldn't fit it on my shelf.

sauroid

There are plenty of smaller sauropods though..not many really big ones.  I honestly just want them bigger than my other figures..sauropods in general were BIG...I like my collection to reflect that. Not have an 8" sauropod hidden behind a 12" Spinosaurus. ;)

i agree.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SBell

Quote from: sauroid on June 21, 2012, 12:04:08 AM

i agree.

Well, then, maybe Primaeval will eventually finish this thing:

The line is all 1/56--the Spinosaurus is over 12" long (assuming 59').

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on June 21, 2012, 12:20:07 AM
Quote from: sauroid on June 21, 2012, 12:04:08 AM

i agree.

Well, then, maybe Primaeval will eventually finish this thing:

The line is all 1/56--the Spinosaurus is over 12" long (assuming 59').

That's pretty sweet ! Though they could have gone for 1/40.. ;D  I kid of course. Wonder what it will cost if completed ?

SBell

Given the near-$40 of the Spinosaurus--a lot.  Maybe worth it? Maybe the reason it appears to have stalled (although overall the company seems to have stalled...)

stoneage

I saw some of the new Schleich figures in person today.  They had the old and new Giganotosaurus.  The new Giganotosaurus is a little smaller but the old one was way too big for 1/40 scale anyway.  Basically there the same except the new one has a better paint job and a mouth that opens and closes.  The mouth feature is definitely not as well done as Papo.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on June 21, 2012, 02:33:51 AM
Given the near-$40 of the Spinosaurus--a lot.  Maybe worth it? Maybe the reason it appears to have stalled (although overall the company seems to have stalled...)

That's unfortunate all around. Maybe this would be a good project for Malcolm to tackle..I recall he did some big sauropods in the past.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on June 20, 2012, 06:44:06 AM
Yeah, the new Schleich "World of History" figures are basically the same or similar sculpts as their most recent figures in the past few years, but a little smaller and with different paint jobs. The only absolute new one is the 'Velociraptor". Check out the first page of this thread for pics of all of them.

Isn't the Triceratops new as well, or does it count as a similar sculpt?
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 21, 2012, 04:39:59 AM

That's unfortunate all around. Maybe this would be a good project for Malcolm to tackle..I recall he did some big sauropods in the past.
Well he did two 1:40 scale, the siesmo and Apato that were both huge. I still have not received mine unfortunately, maybe when he is not so busy he can make more big sauropods ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bokisaurus on June 21, 2012, 07:24:41 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 21, 2012, 04:39:59 AM

Well he did two 1:40 scale, the siesmo and Apato that were both huge. I still have not received mine unfortunately, maybe when he is not so busy he can make more big sauropods ;D

True. Maybe we should just get together and commission one from him ?  Maybe do one piece a year ? A sort of exclusive to the forums deal ?

Meso-Cenozoic

Oh yeah, tyrantqueen, how could I forget the new GREEN Rex! And your right, Brontozaurus, their new Trike IS different. I haven't seen an actual pic of him, but from the catalog pic, he looks kinda...um...wrong! Something about his legs and feet look funny to me.

ajax

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on June 21, 2012, 11:10:44 AM
Oh yeah, tyrantqueen, how could I forget the new GREEN Rex! And your right, Brontozaurus, their new Trike IS different. I haven't seen an actual pic of him, but from the catalog pic, he looks kinda...um...wrong! Something about his legs and feet look funny to me.
Yeah, Schleich have taken a big step back with old 3 horns.

Himmapaan

...And too evidently a retread of Papo's footsteps, as with the T. rex and 'Velociraptor'. The Triceratops' horns even exhibit that 'fossilised crackalure' that the Papo does.

tyrantqueen

Quote...And too evidently a retread of Papo's footsteps, as with the T. rex and 'Velociraptor'. The Triceratops' horns even exhibit that 'fossilised crackalure' that the Papo does.
More like a blatant rip off ::) Anything that is good about these toys is not down to Schleich, but the company they copied from (Papo in this case)

At least that's how I feel about it :-\

CityRaptor

Basically yes. But that is hardly new. They also originally distributed the Carnegie Collection in Germany. So basically what little was good about the original Replica Saurus collection can be attested to Replica Saurus being starting as a Carnegie Rip-Off when Schleich made their own Versions.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Horridus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 22, 2012, 01:37:17 AM
Quote...And too evidently a retread of Papo's footsteps, as with the T. rex and 'Velociraptor'. The Triceratops' horns even exhibit that 'fossilised crackalure' that the Papo does.
More like a blatant rip off ::) Anything that is good about these toys is not down to Schleich, but the company they copied from (Papo in this case)
At least that's how I feel about it :-\
And I agree. Since we have the superior Papo originals, no need to buy Schleich! :P
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Roselaar

Here's some pics of the latest Collectasaurs, the ones I think have not yet been discussed in detail (unless I missed them). So, discuss!  8):

Williamsonia and Monanthesia & Cycadeoidea sets. They come in boxes, very neat! Collecta dropped the ball on the latter though, misspelling it as 'Monathesia' and 'Cycadeoidae' on the box, while the correct name can still be found on the underside of the figure. Unless I got it wrong myself. Either way, one of the two is incorrect.

Some other shots of the boxes. Inside there's a little booklet, displaying about 10% of the existing Collecta Prehistoric line.  ;D Interestingly enough, the Deluxe dinosaur figures are shown as available in cool boxes too. I've never seen them like that, anybody knows where to find these?  ???

Plants out of box, with dinosaur family sets. Guess what comes next?

That's right, instant diorama! Awesome feature, kudos to Collecta for this one. Hope they'll continue this trend, I like it a lot.  :)

Watch out now, Megacerops coming through!

He got out of the way in time apparently. Fantastic figure, great anatomy. That is, the rhino, not the explorer dude. Probably for the better.  :P

Watch out now, Rajasaurus coming through!

Nice little figure. Unfortunately can't keep standing upright. I quite like the tiny forearms.

Comparison shot with the new T-Rex. I like the Rajasaurus more.

Koreaceratops family trip, out for lunch. Fabulous little set, way cooler than the Hypsilophodons (which also weren't bad). Sexual dimorphism is da shiznit!

Then there's this lovely little Sauropod. Excellent paint job, looks less goofy than its stock shots, and it's fairly sized.

Overhead shot of the frill. It's open for the most part, so you can hide some money in there or something. Pretty tight though.

Comparison shot with the new Deinocheirus. An even better figure! Horridus beat me to it with the close-up shots though, check his thread for more.  ;)

So what do you think? Collecta 2012, yay or nay? Probably a stupid question...  :P

tyrantqueen

Nice photos there Rosalaar.

Is it me, or is the standing thing a serious issue with CollectA's recent theropods? I own both the Mapusaurus and the Rex with prey, and they both came with deformed warped legs, and cannot stand without aid.

I hope this gets corrected with later releases.

In answer to your question, I would say "yay" except for the theropods, which need more work.

Roselaar

The standing issue seems limited to regular Collecta Theropods though, both my deluxe Deinocheirus and Neovenator can stand fine (I'm just keeping the bases as back-up).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: