News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 25, 2012, 10:31:56 PM
Nice photos there Rosalaar.

Is it me, or is the standing thing a serious issue with CollectA's recent theropods? I own both the Mapusaurus and the Rex with prey, and they both came with deformed warped legs, and cannot stand without aid.

I hope this gets corrected with later releases.

In answer to your question, I would say "yay" except for the theropods, which need more work.

Thing is, the best way to correct it is to Either go Old School Tripod, or Safari style Clown feet.

Or give them all Bases like the Oviraptor.

Either way, these bad leg issues most likely happen due to rough and tumble during shipments to the sellers that sell them

Patrx

Quote from: Takama on June 25, 2012, 11:58:23 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 25, 2012, 10:31:56 PM
Nice photos there Rosalaar.

Is it me, or is the standing thing a serious issue with CollectA's recent theropods? I own both the Mapusaurus and the Rex with prey, and they both came with deformed warped legs, and cannot stand without aid.

I hope this gets corrected with later releases.

In answer to your question, I would say "yay" except for the theropods, which need more work.

Thing is, the best way to correct it is to Either go Old School Tripod, or Safari style Clown feet.

Or give them all Bases like the Oviraptor.

Either way, these bad leg issues most likely happen due to rough and tumble during shipments to the sellers that sell them

Bases it is, then  ;D Seriously, I'd love to see more figures with bases. But, then again, as these companies are making "toys", technically, I guess I can't expect that. Wouldn't it be neat, though, if some company made up-to-date scientific reconstructions using the same cheap material, without regard for playability? I know I'd be in line for that.

tyrantqueen

I only like bases on my models/toys if they're simple. I don't like overly detailed bases with grass/stone scenery etc. I like the kind of bases you find on the Shapeways models.

Otherwise it becomes distracting and takes attention away from the dinosaur.

That's my opinion anyway.

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 26, 2012, 02:00:11 AM
I only like bases on my models/toys if they're simple. I don't like overly detailed bases with grass/stone scenery etc. I like the kind of bases you find on the Shapeways models.

Otherwise it becomes distracting and takes attention away from the dinosaur.

That's my opinion anyway.

I tend to agree--the very small base on the CollectA Oviraptor is a good example. In the ideal world, a base would be easily removable, but there are retailer issues.

Except for Colorata--they seem to have found the best of both worlds.  It helps that instead of individual figures, they come as a set in a box (or, in the case of the big ones, in a blister card--another option).

ITewan

Where did you get the Amargasaurus?
im a lil tired and a lil hungry

postsaurischian

Quote from: Roselaar on June 25, 2012, 11:02:16 PM
The standing issue seems limited to regular Collecta Theropods though, both my deluxe Deinocheirus and Neovenator can stand fine (I'm just keeping the bases as back-up).

Unfortunately my Deinocheirus always falls after 30 minutes of standing :(

Quote from: ITewan on June 26, 2012, 08:47:22 AM

You can get it from everythingdinosaur.com!

ZoPteryx

Nice photos Roselaar!  I vote yay for Collecta! :))  And I agree about the Rajasaurus, it looks much better than the rex (though I still like the rex's predatory concept).

Roselaar

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 26, 2012, 03:50:17 PM

Quote from: ITewan on June 26, 2012, 08:47:22 AM

You can get it from everythingdinosaur.com!

Yup, that's where I get my Collectas, and loads of other dinosaur toys as well. Now for the 1:15 scale Trike...  ^-^

ITewan

The Amargasaurus doesn't seem to be there o.O

EDIT: Nevermind found it :)
im a lil tired and a lil hungry

Bokisaurus

Nice group of CollectA's, can't wait, hope they will be available here soon. Looking forward to that Amarga ;)

Meso-Cenozoic

Thanks for these great pics, Roselaar! I really like the new trees and how they all, along with the critter families, fit altogether. Very clever!

It def seems to be an ongoing problem with all the new CollectA theropods concerning warped legs and feet. Is the material they're using just too soft to keep the correct form with these new skinnier legs? I only have the Neovenator so far, and he can't stand without his plastic stand. In fact, I think I wrote this somewhere else, my first Neo that I sent back, couldn't even stand up WITH the plastic insert base! Maybe it would help if in the future they would use a firmer plastic similar to what Papo uses. I know Papo's theropods' feet are generally a little big, but nonetheless, they do stand up pretty solidly.

Dan

Quote from: Bokisaurus on June 27, 2012, 06:10:31 AM
Nice group of CollectA's, can't wait, hope they will be available here soon. Looking forward to that Amarga ;)

Perhaps they will be here very soon.  ;)

Cookies for the first person who can identify this baby Stegosaurus.

copper

Quote from: Dan on June 27, 2012, 11:37:28 AM
Cookies for the first person who can identify this baby Stegosaurus.

sideshow stegosaurus baby : )

Roselaar

Got a big bunch of re-released Bullylands in today. Oddly enough, the Mastodon tag came with the Mastodonsaurus information inside (oops!!), while the Mastodonsaurus didn't come with a tag at all. Are these new tags by the way? I thought Bullyland used different types of tags before? If they're new, they really messed up the Mastodon tag, since now kids will learn it was one of the biggest amphibians of all time. :)

Also, Bullyland's Mastodon, isn't it actually a Gomphotherium? If so, why does Bullyland call it a Mastodon (it's even written on its belly)?

Dan

Cookies for you.

Quote from: Roselaar on June 27, 2012, 02:41:28 PM
Got a big bunch of re-released Bullylands in today. Oddly enough, the Mastodon tag came with the Mastodonsaurus information inside (oops!!), while the Mastodonsaurus didn't come with a tag at all. Are these new tags by the way? I thought Bullyland used different types of tags before? If they're new, they really messed up the Mastodon tag, since now kids will learn it was one of the biggest amphibians of all time. :)

Also, Bullyland's Mastodon, isn't it actually a Gomphotherium? If so, why does Bullyland call it a Mastodon (it's even written on its belly)?

Bullyland is using odd and sometimes flat out wrong names for the prehistoric mammals. Deinotherium is sometimes called "Tusk Elephant" for example. I have the others listed on my site. I'm not sure what's going on with the tags there. They are new tags indeed, but I know I never received any tags on the Mastodonsaurus figures, presumably because they were a "last minute" addition.

Blade-of-the-Moon

^

My un-officail name for this piece is " Big Momma " .. ;D

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on June 27, 2012, 02:41:28 PM

I think they created 'common' names for them, even if they weren't all that useful. Some, like Claw Animal (chalicothere) make sense. Others, like Mastodon, are confusing (they could have gone with 4-tusk elephant--no confusion there).

But at least they made them!

Metallisuchus

Ugh... 'Claw Animal', really? I prefer species names myself. I don't even like when Mammuthus primigenius is labeled 'woolly mammoth'.

Paleona

Not sure if this counts as a figure, but... I've discovered that Hallmark is adding a T rex to their ornament list this year: http://www.hallmark.com/Product/ProductDetails/1295QXG4834_DK
I used to work at one, so I'll probably check this guy out and see if he's worthwhile. 

Dan

That looks pretty neat, actually. The hanging ornament medium really solves a lot of problems for theropods!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: