News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 30, 2012, 07:05:22 AM
I bought one of each of the Baby Rexs.. green and brown. ;D

It's about as much as the Pachy but the Pachy doesn't have a moveable jaw either..I figure that balances the cost.

Really? I have both the green rex baby and the Pachy. I'm pretty sure the Pachy is like $5 cheaper. Does your rex jaw only open a little bit?

Roselaar

Quote from: SBell on June 30, 2012, 03:10:46 PM
(how does Mastodonsaurus get lumped in with the mammals?)

It's not really lumped in--I think they just re-released it as one of their most sought after figures (strangely, with few exceptions, it is their mammals and this one that intrigue the most people--other than maybe a few of their Permian/Triassic offerings).
[/quote]

I think the fact that so many retailers and customers got Mastodon and Mastodonsaurus confused might also be involved. They might have re-released the latter so there would be some available in cases of confusion between both figures.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Metallisuchus on June 30, 2012, 03:14:08 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 30, 2012, 07:05:22 AM
I bought one of each of the Baby Rexs.. green and brown. ;D

It's about as much as the Pachy but the Pachy doesn't have a moveable jaw either..I figure that balances the cost.

Really? I have both the green rex baby and the Pachy. I'm pretty sure the Pachy is like $5 cheaper. Does your rex jaw only open a little bit?

Dan sells the Pachy about 5.00 cheaper. The retail stores where I've been had them the same price or within a dollar or two. 

Yeah the jaw opens but not really far..at least I haven't tried to force it to open any wider.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Himmapaan on June 30, 2012, 04:04:57 AM

Damn, I didn't want to buy the baby T. rex. But after this pic I probably have to >:( ;D!

Libraraptor

The baby rex is one of Papo´s best figures, it´s so...extraordinary. But I still don´t like the price!

Allosaurus89

Quote from: SBell on June 12, 2012, 09:12:49 PM
Quote from: K907 on June 12, 2012, 09:06:33 PM
I edited my post and it's on there. But here's the link again:

http://wmbsculptor.tripod.com/id4.html

We must have crossed paths.

It could be a new toob--or a proposed one. I recognize several of the figures, but many have not been released.  The 'figures' in the image look less detailed/real than sculpted figures--almost computer rendered or something.  But I want them anyway!

Not to derail this thread, but any idea what the animal labelled "Cambrian" is?

KeU

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 30, 2012, 09:10:20 PM

Damn, I didn't want to buy the baby T. rex. But after this pic I probably have to >:( ;D!

The eyes of the Rex seem to shrink as it grows according to the 2 figures.

sauroid

the T.rex's mom's eyes look tender looking at her chick in this photo. LOL
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stemturtle

Quote from: Allosaurus89 on July 01, 2012, 11:29:32 PM

Not to derail this thread, but any idea what the animal labelled "Cambrian" is?

While I am not an authority, the creature labeled Cambrian might be a Sanctacaris, a stem-chelicerate.  To avoid copyright problems by posting an image, here is a link instead:
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/_0/cambrian_04

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: KeU on July 02, 2012, 05:34:07 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on June 30, 2012, 09:10:20 PM

The eyes of the Rex seem to shrink as it grows according to the 2 figures.

That would be a scale issue I think. ;)

Seijun

Yeah, the baby looks more like a hatchling to me, in which case it wouldn't be any bigger than mom's foot if he was in scale.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

CM

As will be noted by my post count, I'm a newbie to this hobby, and I was just wondering a couple things:

How early in the year do companies reveal their product slate for the forthcoming year?  Are there trade shows where these things are announced?  Do they set up at the various Toy Fairs?  It seems most companies only release a handful of new models each year, do they announce them all at once or do releases later in the year get revealed later (I ask because it basically seems like all the new stuff for this year has been or will within the month be released already)?  I'm basically just interested in how the fans get their info for this stuff.

sauroid

just wondering... when does the 2013 figures thread start?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SBell

Quote from: CM on July 02, 2012, 07:06:58 PM
As will be noted by my post count, I'm a newbie to this hobby, and I was just wondering a couple things:

How early in the year do companies reveal their product slate for the forthcoming year?  Are there trade shows where these things are announced?  Do they set up at the various Toy Fairs?  It seems most companies only release a handful of new models each year, do they announce them all at once or do releases later in the year get revealed later (I ask because it basically seems like all the new stuff for this year has been or will within the month be released already)?  I'm basically just interested in how the fans get their info for this stuff.

We usually get official word in October-December. Some of us that are also retailers may also get advance notice from some companies, but our ability to share varies. And each company varies as to how much prior notice is given (Safari is pretty open, whereas Schleich tends to be very quiet. CollectA has traditionally shared quite a bit with a few retailers, but after some issues this year they may stay quieter).

CM

Quote from: SBell on July 02, 2012, 07:37:40 PM
We usually get official word in October-December. Some of us that are also retailers may also get advance notice from some companies, but our ability to share varies. And each company varies as to how much prior notice is given (Safari is pretty open, whereas Schleich tends to be very quiet. CollectA has traditionally shared quite a bit with a few retailers, but after some issues this year they may stay quieter).

Ah, yes, every good board needs a few "insider" members. :)  Thanks for the info!

Himmapaan

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 30, 2012, 09:10:20 PMDamn, I didn't want to buy the baby T. rex. But after this pic I probably have to >:( ;D!
So glad to have helped.  ;D

Quote from: sauroid on July 02, 2012, 07:10:55 PM
Not any time soon, I hope.  ;D

Takama

Quote from: Himmapaan on July 03, 2012, 12:52:33 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on June 30, 2012, 09:10:20 PMDamn, I didn't want to buy the baby T. rex. But after this pic I probably have to >:( ;D!

Judgeing by last year, sometime in September, when Safari Reveals there new products( assumeing that the schdule is the same)

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Takama on July 03, 2012, 04:02:27 AM

Judgeing by last year, sometime in September, when Safari Reveals there new products( assumeing that the schdule is the same)

I imagine so, but the guessing will probably start a little earlier! >:D ;)

Meso-Cenozoic

^^ What do mean, "the guessing will probably start a little earlier"? There have already been some threads started up! LOL!! ;D

SBell

Quote from: Takama on July 03, 2012, 04:02:27 AM

Keep in mind that they weren't supposed to be revealed publicly then.  Officially, Safari announces things in early November (although they have a sneaky habit of putting up pictures of new stuff on their Fall Trade Show images...).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: