News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Himmapaan

Quote from: SBell on July 08, 2012, 01:26:16 AM
Prosauropod is a specific term, referring to a grade of sauropodomorph that still retains some primitive characteristics.
I'm aware.  :) I just seem to have gathered that it wasn't favoured these days. But I could easily be mistaken.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Dan on July 06, 2012, 09:18:04 PM

More photos on the blog review here:
http://www.dinotoyblog.com/2012/07/06/triceratops-115-collecta/

Sorry, I don't keep the big Rex on hand, as it's rather... well, gargantuan.

What a lovely giant figure!  :)

Darwinian

I need that Trike for my classroom. The T-rex stands atop my safety shower. He needs some prey to be bellowing at.

Arioch

The head is quite lovely! Shame the body its not on par.

Patrx

Quote from: Arioch on July 12, 2012, 04:10:34 AM
The head is quite lovely! Shame the body its not on par.

Agreed. Particularly regrettable are the broken hands. Basically everything else impresses me - love the quills, coloration and scale detail.

Takama

It is almost time for this to be released.

Any Yay or Nay sayers

Horridus

It's a bit chubby, and various features of its anatomy are wrong/not in line with modern thinking.

But, damn it, it's Papo. It'll look ten times more alive and detailed than anything else. That, and it's not the worst Papo out there in terms of accuracy; on the Scale of Wrongness, it's not up there with a scaly maniraptor (a bit like giving a chicken an all-over lizard look). So, I'll definitely be buying it.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

SBell

Quote from: Horridus on July 14, 2012, 08:24:50 PM
It's a bit chubby, and various features of its anatomy are wrong/not in line with modern thinking.

But, damn it, it's Papo. It'll look ten times more alive and detailed than anything else. That, and it's not the worst Papo out there in terms of accuracy; on the Scale of Wrongness, it's not up there with a scaly maniraptor (a bit like giving a chicken an all-over lizard look). So, I'll definitely be buying it.

My daughter's really excited for it.  Even though we just got the Carnegie, have the WS, and a few others.  Me, I could care less, but if she's saving up for it, that's her choice!

Horridus

Quote from: SBell on July 14, 2012, 10:19:07 PM
Even though we just got the Carnegie, have the WS, and a few others.
Well, me too :P
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Gwangi

I don't have the WS or the Carnegie yet, seems like a good excuse to get the Papo. I keep telling myself I'm gonna buy it but when the day comes I'll probably back out.

tyrantqueen

QuoteIt is almost time for this to be released.

Any Yay or Nay sayers
Yay for me :D This guy looks awesome.

John

Quote from: Horridus on July 14, 2012, 10:22:35 PM
Here is a loophole you could use,the Carnegie Museum one is Brachiosaurus altithorax,whereas the Papo one is clearly based on what is now identified as Giraffatitan brancai,so it's really getting more variety ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Horridus

Quote from: John on July 14, 2012, 11:15:08 PM
Here is a loophole you could use,the Carnegie Museum one is Brachiosaurus altithorax,whereas the Papo one is clearly based on what is now identified as Giraffatitan brancai,so it's really getting more variety ;D
That's true, but they're all brachiosaurs. Nevertheless, it is noteworthy that the new Carnegie is B. altithorax, whereas the old one is Giraffatitan brancai; even if you use the old classification, they're different species. Therefore, the new one is not a replacement for the old! Hurrah.
@Mhorridus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Horridus on July 14, 2012, 11:21:24 PM
That's true, but they're all brachiosaurs. Nevertheless, it is noteworthy that the new Carnegie is B. altithorax, whereas the old one is Giraffatitan brancai; even if you use the old classification, they're different species. Therefore, the new one is not a replacement for the old! Hurrah.

So they can release another new one to replace it ! ;D

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 15, 2012, 02:28:22 AM

And make it bigger!  ^-^

John

Quote from: Gwangi on July 15, 2012, 02:40:17 AM

And make it bigger!  ^-^
The size of the 1:50 Brachiosaurus is not an issue for me,but I would certainly not turn down a 1:40 Giraffatitan brancai from the Carnegie Museum. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Horridus on July 14, 2012, 08:24:50 PM

Ditto!  8)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: John on July 15, 2012, 03:04:08 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 15, 2012, 02:40:17 AM

And make it bigger!  ^-^
The size of the 1:50 Brachiosaurus is not an issue for me,but I would certainly not turn down a 1:40 Giraffatitan brancai from the Carnegie Museum. :)

Exactly Gwangi. I wished the Brachio was 1:40 but a new Giraffatitan at 1:40 would certainly please me. :)

Roselaar

Here's some more pics of the Collecta 1:15 scale Triceratops, for comparison.

Trike with box. The box is the same size as the Rex's. The Trike could have used a smaller box though, but I guess it was cheaper for Collecta to recycle tha Rex box instead of coming up with a closer fit.

Trike vs Rex! They're not that dissimilar from another as far as size is concerned. The only thing the Rex has going for it to make it appear that much larger is the long tail sticking out and the base it stands on. That said, are both animals truly 1:15 scale? I thought T-Rex was still a fair bit larger than Triceratops?

The new Trike is an excellent figure, but not perfect. The inside of the mouth is quite undetailed, the legs are overly bulky and it just looks kinda fat overall. Still, more accurate than the T-Rex and a good addition to Collecta's line!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Woah..it is BIG ! Much better than the Rex i think.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: