News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metallisuchus

As cliche as Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops I suppose. I wish more companies paid more attention to prehistoric bovids : (

CityRaptor

Yes, like that. As far as Cliche goes, the Mammoth is pretty much the Prehistoric Mammal Equivalent of Tyrannosaurus.  Some sort of Saber tooth Cat might be second...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 16, 2012, 09:43:16 PM
...Basilosaurus ( who really should be renamed into Zeuglodon ).....

[Fast rant]
No, it should not. The name Basilosaurus was originally given to the fossils.  Names don't change just because people figure out something new about a species. [/Fast Rant].

CityRaptor

I know, I know. Not the best System regarding names, if you ask me.
But seriously, they even mention the issue in Moby Dick!
"But by far the most wonderful of all Cetacean relics was the almost complete vast skeleton of an extinct monster, found in the year 1842, on the plantation of Judge Creagh, in Alabama. The awe-stricken credulous slaves in the vicinity took it for the bones of one of the fallen angels. The Alabama doctors declared it a huge reptile, and bestowed upon it the name of Basilosaurus. But some specimen bones of it being taken across the sea to Owen, the English Anatomist, it turned out that this alleged reptile was a whale, though of a departed species. A significant illustration of the fact, again and again repeated in this book, that the skeleton of the whale furnishes but little clue to the shape of his fully invested body. So Owen rechristened the monster Zeuglodon; and in his paper read before the London Geological Society, pronounced it, in substance, one of the most extraordinary creatures which the mutations of the globe have blotted out of existence. "

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: SBell on September 18, 2012, 02:14:32 PM

[Fast rant]
No, it should not. The name Basilosaurus was originally given to the fossils.  Names don't change just because people figure out something new about a species. [/Fast Rant].
I would assume the name was given the SPECIES the fossils represent, in case further specimens of that same SPECIES were found, rather than the fossils themselves?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 18, 2012, 06:08:47 PM

[Fast rant]
I would assume the name was given the SPECIES the fossils represent, in case further specimens of that same SPECIES were found, rather than the fossils themselves?

No. The name was given as a GENUS. Later research determined it was not a reptile as previously thought, but a whale--so Sir Richard Owen tried to change the name to one without the -saurus suffix, a practice which is not allowed (it would make following specimens and taxa absurdly difficult).

But there is enough digression here.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: SBell on September 18, 2012, 06:16:04 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 18, 2012, 06:08:47 PM

[Fast rant]

No. The name was given as a GENUS. Later research determined it was not a reptile as previously thought, but a whale--so Sir Richard Owen tried to change the name to one without the -saurus suffix, a practice which is not allowed (it would make following specimens and taxa absurdly difficult).

But there is enough digression here.
Ah then even further underlining the point, the name was not given a fossil, but rather the GENUS, based on a fossil. That is what I was determining, thanks.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Nobs

Dont know if this has been reported yet, but the PAPO brachio, has been delayed again, expected date is 11/1/12.
Source of information Dejankins.

Its a shame that arguably the most exciting PAPO dinosaur release this year, might as well be an early 2013 release.

Takama

Quote from: Nobs on September 19, 2012, 04:58:34 PM
Dont know if this has been reported yet, but the PAPO brachio, has been delayed again, expected date is 11/1/12.
Source of information Dejankins.

Its a shame that arguably the most exciting PAPO dinosaur release this year, might as well be an early 2013 release.

Yes it has been reported alredy.    He contacted me with that info, so i spread it onto here.

I wont be surprised if it turned out to be a 2013 figure.

Balaur

I am really excited for Papo's Brachiosaurus, even if it turns out to be a 2013 figure. Its their first sauropod! Aawwww! Getting it the. Nanosecond it comes out. :)

tyrantqueen

QuoteI am really excited for Papo's Brachiosaurus, even if it turns out to be a 2013 figure. Its their first sauropod! Aawwww! Getting it the. Nanosecond it comes out. :)
I really wonder why it's taking so long. All the other Paposaurs were released without delays.

amargasaurus cazaui

I know often in the US for a toy to be released it has to pass child safety checks...and that is what often limits size of some toys, to avoid being a crushing hazard etc.Is it possible the sign off for release is taking longer?

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 25, 2012, 05:49:39 AM
I know often in the US for a toy to be released it has to pass child safety checks...and that is what often limits size of some toys, to avoid being a crushing hazard etc.Is it possible the sign off for release is taking longer?

I've heard of small parts, check, materials checks, source checks--but seeing as equally large figures are already out there, that seems far fetched (for figures).  Mainly because other Papo figures (Oryx) are equally delayed.

tyrantqueen

QuoteI know often in the US for a toy to be released it has to pass child safety checks...and that is what often limits size of some toys, to avoid being a crushing hazard etc.Is it possible the sign off for release is taking longer?
Interesting. So the Papo Brachio could have been delayed for fear of crushing children >:D

Balaur

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 25, 2012, 06:40:26 AM
QuoteI know often in the US for a toy to be released it has to pass child safety checks...and that is what often limits size of some toys, to avoid being a crushing hazard etc.Is it possible the sign off for release is taking longer?
Interesting. So the Papo Brachio could have been delayed for fear of crushing children >:D

Haha! Explains its high price on Dans sites. In my eye, the bigger the dino, the more is costs.

radman

For those with deep pockets (cough,Helge ;)), out of my league for now, but would love to see someone buy this and maybe have it painted by Martin, Shane, Copper, Demarco etc, and then share it with us.  Looks like a really nice and unique figure.
http://www.shapeways.com/model/684377/isisaurus-deluxe.html

postsaurischian

Quote from: radman on September 25, 2012, 01:00:19 PM

:o  I must say I'm really tempted :)!

For those with deep pockets (cough,Helge ;))

It's more a case of not spending-the-money-on-much-else than of deep pockets :P ;D.

radman

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 25, 2012, 02:06:24 PM

It's more a case of not spending-the-money-on-much-else than of deep pockets :P ;D.

You are my dino hero!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Exactly. The things we do without to collect eh ? :)

The pose on the Isis looks neat but it's too small for the price tag for me. :/

Himmapaan

If you ever do buy it, please, please consider your humble servant for painting services; if you think you can endure the usual months of waiting. *pleads*  ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: