News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: stoneage on November 12, 2012, 07:57:37 PM
What do people think of the Favorite Allosaurus?

I think...

... it could use some feathers.
*hides*

Erm, aside from that, it looks pretty solid, if typical. I like the hands, for some reason. The position of the digits seems very natural and birdlike. Also, it looks like it'll be able to stand on properly-sized feet without using its tail, so that's quite remarkable. Or, does it have a removable base? I'm not really liking the paint, I'm afraid. The day-glo orange thing didn't work for the old Spinosaurus, and it doesn't work here. The shrink-wrapped skull is off-putting, too, and the eyes look a bit off. Are the pupils vertical?

EDIT: Ah, I see it does have a base. I'm reasonably sure that picture wasn't there when I typed this initially ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like it. ;D

It could use a repaint though. Other than that I'd be happy owning one. :)

postsaurischian

I just ordered my second wave of the 2012 Favorite figures including this beautiful Allosaurus. The only reason I didn't order it with the first wave was that I didn't know which figures to order first an I played sort of 'eenie meenie minie mo' - the Allosaurus didn't win :( ;D. But it's on its way now ;).

Gwangi

Is there any place in the U.S. selling those new favorite models? I've only seen them on eBay for about $50.00 a piece and I'm sure that is an exaggerated price.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Gwangi on November 13, 2012, 12:47:37 AM
Is there any place in the U.S. selling those new favorite models? I've only seen them on eBay for about $50.00 a piece and I'm sure that is an exaggerated price.

:o Of course this is usury. I'm paying about three times as much for the whole set! A friend of mine is getting them directly from Favorite.
I'm sure they will appear on the Western market in a few months, probably first in England ???.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm hoping Dan will stock them eventually. Not keen on those prices on eBay either. I also want those larger juvenile dinos.. ;D

Simon

I think the Allosaurus looks - hands down - to be the best model of the lot.  I wish the TRex teeth were as detailed (from the photos - I haven't seen them in person)

tanystropheus

I like the Spinosaurus and the Styracosaurus (perhaps a good companion piece for the Papo Styracosaurus?) The Favorite Plesiosaurus (both versions) appear to be very accurate, I believe. Overall, the new 2012 Favorite collection is a great improvement (the colors are still a bit funky at times).

tanystropheus

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 30, 2012, 05:47:51 PM
^-^  Favorite Dinosaur Softmodel series  Velociraptor  (designed by Kazunari Araki)

Looks a bit more detailed than the last time I saw it.

Bokisaurus

I want that new raptor, it's cool looking, much better than the first version.

indy1936

Here is a comparison of the Papo Brachiosaurus with the 1996 and 2012 Carnegies.  Papo Brachi's right front foot comes a bit raised as he is stepping. Mine tends to fall forward a bit so I put something under there to keep him balanced with the others. 

He is definitely the biggest of the three.  His torso is slightly longer than the old Carnegie Brachiosaurus, his back runs about .5"-1" higher along the length than the old Carnegie Brachiosaurus. The necks are about the same length just positioned differently. However, the Papo's head and base of the neck are significantly larger than on the old Carnegie.

Jetoar

Thanks for share again friend  ^-^. I would like to have these figures but is to hard to find in Spain.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

juju1305

Quote from: Jetoar on November 17, 2012, 11:28:29 PM
Thanks for share again friend  ^-^. I would like to have these figures but is to hard to find in Spain.

Where are you in Spain? It's very easy to get the Papo figures in France, so you might cross the border and get some figures in a French store.

Horridus

Posing it next to the 1989 Carnegie sculpt really shows how retrograde it is. The two share many similarities.

...I still want one! When are UK stockists going to get their hands on it? WHEN!?! Please don't make me order it from the continent...I don't want to pay the shipping fees.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Jetoar

Quote from: juju1305 on November 18, 2012, 01:46:02 AM
Quote from: Jetoar on November 17, 2012, 11:28:29 PM

Where are you in Spain? It's very easy to get the Papo figures in France, so you might cross the border and get some figures in a French store.

I hope that I see this figure in a museum or other shops  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Himmapaan

I don't see the Papo Brachiosaurus as being retrograde though. Its silhouette doesn't speak so. The top line (and in particular where the tail meets the hips) is quite in keeping with modern reconstructions. It's probably the only part that might be said to be 'accurate'.

Horridus

Quote from: Himmapaan on November 18, 2012, 02:01:03 PM
I don't see the Papo Brachiosaurus as being retrograde though. Its silhouette doesn't speak so. The top line (and in particular where the tail meets the hips) is quite in keeping with modern reconstructions. It's probably the only part that might be said to be 'accurate'.
Maybe I was getting too obsessed with the feet again. They appear VERY similar to ye olde Carnegie. They're even positioned in the same way!
The wrinkletastic neck does remind me of old '90s dinosaur toys, as well.
By the way - and I know I've asked you this multiple times in person - but do you have any idea when we might be seeing it over here?
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Himmapaan

Quote from: Horridus on November 18, 2012, 04:28:27 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on November 18, 2012, 02:01:03 PM
Maybe I was getting too obsessed with the feet again. They appear VERY similar to ye olde Carnegie. They're even positioned in the same way!
The wrinkletastic neck does remind me of old '90s dinosaur toys, as well.
By the way - and I know I've asked you this multiple times in person - but do you have any idea when we might be seeing it over here?

Yeah, I know what you mean, but those are the usual traits in sauropod figures upon the whole. Even the recent Safari Brachiosaurus has all those, and one wouldn't really call it a retrograde-looking figure. But yes, its pose is similar to the old Carnegie, I do see.

I'm afraid I've no idea when we'll see it here. Even North America has it now, so I'm perplexed that we're still missing it, given the geographical proximity to continental Europe. Still, my empty pockets mean that I'm the only one happy about its delay, apparently.  ;D

Horridus

Quote from: Himmapaan on November 18, 2012, 05:32:22 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean, but those are the usual traits in sauropod figures upon the whole. Even the recent Safari Brachiosaurus has all those, and one wouldn't really call it a retrograde-looking figure.
Not quite, though - it only has the one claw per manus, for example.
@Mhorridus

Himmapaan

Yes, but you know what I meant.  :P

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: