You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Please allow me to introduce myself

Started by Bucklander, September 18, 2016, 01:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucklander

Not sure if I'm doing this right but, I guess I'll know soon enough.

This is an awesome forum.  I'm not a new member, I think it's probably two years now, since I joined this forum. Originally, I only joined in order to find a Bullyland Edaphosaurus, but stayed when I discovered the wealth of ideas, collections, photos etc. So many figures I never knew existed, I discovered whilst exploring other members' threads.

But I've mostly observed without comment. Oh yeah, occasionally I've offended the odd person here and there, but I've been holding back from truly diving in partly because I have very little time (and I imagine, if feasible, I could spend all day on this forum) and partly because I'm terrified of technology, and being one of the older members, am not very comfortable with all these things that younger folk do as easily as breathing.

So, apologies for my hesitation, but this is the first forum I've ever joined so it's all been a wee bit scarey.

In time (it takes me forever to do stuff - I really do sympathize with Tolkein's ents) I'll put up some photos of my collection, but in the meantime, here's a link to some clips I've put on YouTube. They were made a while ago and may one day be updated, but they were meant, eventually, to be the beginning of a full length documentary about collecting dinosaur (and other prehistoric animal (and plant) figures).

I look forward to many future conversations. In the meantime, thank you all (especially DTF for making the DTF in the first place) and (if you do decide to check out the clips) ENJOY!

Please note, the following link will take you to the first clip in the playlist. The best way to view them is to just let the playlist run through. None of the individual clips is very long but they are supposed to segue into each other. Cheers :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wXz1j7b5ww&list=PL1AQVdQlKF6fsomQX5ZXG8F0HKoxnvJzW

Flaffy

Welcome to the forum!  ;D
Ha, I see we had the same goal when joining the forum... ;)

Dilopho

Welcome...(?)
Wait, you've been here so long  :))
You're basically a member already!  ^-^

Bucklander

Thanks guys. Yeah I did actually join, just never started a thread. Sounds silly but, although I figured how to comment on other peoples' threads, I didn't have any idea how to start my own. So I didn't know how to introduce myself. I just wasn't looking in the right place. :-[

I just realized that at the end of the above clip, the viewer is not automatically taken to the next so I'll put them all below in the proper order (sans clip 1 of course, which is the texty intro above).

Living in Australia, my day is night time and vice versa for most other members. So I'll be heading off to dreamland shortly. But for all of you just getting up, Good morning! And I hope you all have a great day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV5qeAzqccM&index=2&list=PL1AQVdQlKF6fsomQX5ZXG8F0HKoxnvJzW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_rMgpjvZAs&list=PL1AQVdQlKF6fsomQX5ZXG8F0HKoxnvJzW&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gffYkXk2c8&index=4&list=PL1AQVdQlKF6fsomQX5ZXG8F0HKoxnvJzW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55NLFInCisk&list=PL1AQVdQlKF6fsomQX5ZXG8F0HKoxnvJzW&index=5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKTlaH8Vi-w&index=6&list=PL1AQVdQlKF6fsomQX5ZXG8F0HKoxnvJzW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK-T9FnBVWo&index=7&list=PL1AQVdQlKF6fsomQX5ZXG8F0HKoxnvJzW

Sim

It's good to hear from you Emanuel, I had been wondering how you were doing! :)  As I said back when we talked earlier this year, I enjoyed your documentary videos and seeing your collection.  I'm sure if you do any more of these videos, they will be great too.

DinoToyForum

Quoteespecially DTF for making the DTF in the first place

Hey, no problem! :D Glad you're posting again, and I'll check out your videos.  8)

Jose S.M.

postsaurischian

:o :D Impressive collection, Emanuel - and very nicely displayed. Love the videos and your thoughts about collecting.

I feel honoured being mentioned.
But ouch! That "Heinrich" mistake again. It's Helge Henrich, not Heinrich Helge.
Heinrich is so popular in Germany - it happens every now and then, but I hate the "i" ;D.

By the way: I'm going to Australia again in January :).

Doug Watson

"Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name"

I am amazed I am the first to respond this way....of course now I can't get the song out of my head! Welcome back.

Bucklander

Thank you everyone.

Helge, sorry about the i.  :-[ And about getting the order of your names back to front.  :-[ I promise I'll change it on the video as soon as I can (give me a few days). And glad to hear you're coming back for another visit. This must be like your home away from home. If you come down south to Melbourne, please let me know, we could share a few beers ;D and of course you'd be more than welcome to crash at my place (as long as you don't mind dogs).

FlaffyRaptors, yes we did. When first I read your intro I thought "Damn! I've delayed putting these up for too long. I knew it was a good idea. Now some one's gone and pipped me at the post!" But as I read on I was relieved to see we have different foci. It reminded me of an interview with Brian May (astronomer and guitarist/singer/songwriter with Queen) in which he recounted how when forming Queen, he was mortified to hear there was this fellow Mike Oldfield, who had just released an album with an orchestra of layered guitars. Just the thing Brian May had been planning. But upon listening to (what I guess must have been) Tubular Bells, he realized it was actually something completely different to what he had in mind. Earlier today I was searching for the thread in which you spoke of your idea but I couldn't find it. Could you please put a link to it somewhere below. Cheers.

Sim, always enjoy reading your comments. They're so enlightening. Don't always read the literature that you and Tim and others post. Just don't have the time. So much new info. I think it was in James Gleich's book "The Information" (great book on Information Theory) I came upon this little fact - our total information doubles every three years. I just can't get my head around that! Anyway, as soon as I make a few new clips I'll let you know.

Doug, Ha ha. I literally did laugh out loud.  :)) So glad you got it. Really looking forward to seeing all the new goodies you have in store for us this year. So far I really like what I see. I was so happy you gave us a Masiakasaurus last year. I'd been SOOOOOO wanting one!

Flaffy

Meh, I kinda gave up a while ago.
As I have discovered a lot of even more attractive and interesting figures from this forum. ^-^

Simon

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 19, 2016, 01:38:52 PM
"Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name"

I am amazed I am the first to respond this way....of course now I can't get the song out of my head! Welcome back.

I thought about it, too Doug.  But then I figured the youngsters around here wouldn't get it.  ;)

Lanthanotus

Woah, a most impressive collection, I like how you arrange and present your figures with these dioramas. Also I watched all available videos full lenght, you did a good job on them, very interesting, especially the one about the psychology of collecting :) (could not watch the fourth video unfortunatly thoguh, as there's some stupid state driven "copyright" organisation called GEMA that disabled the video due to its included music :()

Halichoeres

These are great videos, Emanuel! Hope you find time to keep 'em coming!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

Great videos, good to see you back posting.
Well, yeah, I came here eight or so years ago just for asking for the Invicta blue whale.
Well, I stayed a little longer, as you see.
It´s an absolutely great place to hang around, to show what you have or what you want and to meet people from all over the world with the same passion.

Bucklander

Thank you guys for all the complimentary comments.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 19, 2016, 08:36:12 PM
Woah, a most impressive collection, I like how you arrange and present your figures with these dioramas. Also I watched all available videos full lenght, you did a good job on them, very interesting, especially the one about the psychology of collecting :) (could not watch the fourth video unfortunatly thoguh, as there's some stupid state driven "copyright" organisation called GEMA that disabled the video due to its included music :()

Damn! I didn't think there'd be any copyright issues with classical music. How do they know what performance it is? Even I can't remember. Also, I figured as I wasn't making any money from these vids, it'd be cool. Sorry about that. :(

Quote from: Libraraptor on September 25, 2016, 06:25:41 PM
Great videos, good to see you back posting.
Well, yeah, I came here eight or so years ago just for asking for the Invicta blue whale.
Well, I stayed a little longer, as you see.
It´s an absolutely great place to hang around, to show what you have or what you want and to meet people from all over the world with the same passion.

Seems this is a dangerous place to visit. Maybe there should be a warning on the Homepage...

"Beware all who enter. Others have been lost within. Enter at own risk!" :))

Doug Watson

Speaking of music what is the piece on Video # 4. It is driving me nuts, I know I will kick myself when you tell me.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 26, 2016, 01:29:00 PM
Speaking of music what is the piece on Video # 4. It is driving me nuts, I know I will kick myself when you tell me.

Argh! I love to answer music questions, but unfortunately video #4 is the only one I cannot watch because of GEMA issues :P.

Bucklander

For Video 4 "Post Arrives" it's Dmitri Shostakovich Waltz No. 2. But just in case you meant the one before which is the 4th video on this page (sorry for the confusion) "Tree of Life", that's the beginning of Toccata and Fugue in Dminor by Bach.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Bucklander on September 26, 2016, 02:47:00 PM
For Video 4 "Post Arrives" it's Dmitri Shostakovich Waltz No. 2. But just in case you meant the one before which is the 4th video on this page (sorry for the confusion) "Tree of Life", that's the beginning of Toccata and Fugue in Dminor by Bach.

Thank you that was the one, I was searching through waltzes and wasn't finding it. Beautiful.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: