News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Member groups

Started by BlueKrono, October 05, 2016, 09:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

I was curious about what the qualifications are for the different levels of member status. For instance, I joined relatively recently, but I seem to have moved from "Newbie" to "Full member". Is this based on number of posts? If so, what are the thresholds for each status? And how many types of statuses are there?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

Yes, they are post count based groups, as follows:

Name            Stars   Members   Required posts    
Newbie            *           1355           0   
Jr. Member         **           70           50   
Full Member       ***           90           100   
Sr. Member        ****   42           250   
Hero Member     *****   66           500

These are the default settings. I can change the group names, the number of groups, and the required post counts. So, if anyone has any preferences, suggest away!

BlueKrono

I'm quite satisfied with the current settings. Since so many others have achieved their standings one way, let's stick with that same system for us newer members so it's fair.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Archinto

I think it would be neat to add more tier statuses after Hero, for those of us who have insanely high post counts like our most honored top posters on the forum. :)

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

DinoToyForum

What would we call members of higher ranks? Super members? 

Archinto

I think getting more "saurian" with the names would be cool for the upper tiers, such as "ancient fossil member", or "Maximusaurus Member" or "Pangean Master Traveler" or something. I dunno, get creative with it? :) Once a person gets to 1000 posts, then the next rank can either be at the 500 mark or the next 1000 mark. Seems like every 500 posts after 1000 should get a rank upgrade above Hero :) I've seen on some forums where they will put special little images in place of where the yellow bars are to match said status. Ill see if i can come up with something you might like :)
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Archinto

Ok, so I have put some thought into some rank names, lemme know whatcha think. Going off of your initial list, theres more statuses above hero to look at

Name            Stars   Members   Required posts   
Newbie            *           1355           0   
Jr. Member         **           70           50   
Full Member       ***           90           100   
Sr. Member        ****   42           250   
Hero Member     *****   66           500

So after Hero Member: (Whether or not you choose to put "member" after the more clever names is up to you....)

Super Member 750 posts
Ultra Member 1000 posts
Expert Mega Member 1300
Ultimate Master Member  1600
Prehistoric Cave Master 2000
Cambrian Era Survivor 2500
Permian Era Survivor 3000
Triassic Era Survivor 3500
Jurassic Era Survivor 4000
Cretaceous Era Survivor 4500
Trainer of Smilodon 5000
Master of Mammoths 6000
Ice Age Master Traveler 7000
Gondwana's Protector 8000
Laurasian Pathfinder 9000
Pangaean Master Traveler 10,000 plus posts

An idea.... It kindof makes the ranking a little more fun, and enourages more activity on the forums :)

CityRaptor

Eh, why should a Smilodon or Mammoth Trainer be higher ranked than someone who survived the Mesozoic?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoToyForum

I like these ideas, especially the ones that reference survival through major periods in earth history. I'll definitely put some of this into practice. We can settle on the final list together. Other suggestions also welcome!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 02, 2016, 08:52:00 PM
Eh, why should a Smilodon or Mammoth Trainer be higher ranked than someone who survived the Mesozoic?

Because you have to survive the Mesozoic before you even get to see a mammoth. Right?

Archinto

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 02, 2016, 09:00:03 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on November 02, 2016, 08:52:00 PM

Because you have to survive the Mesozoic before you even get to see a mammoth. Right?

I agree. I think maybe there should be an added rank passage to signify surviving the mesozoic and entering the Pleistocene era before becoming a mammal trainer etc. Just some ideas, Im sure there could be more added. Maybe make the ranks change at every 500 posts after 1000, instead of there being 1000 posts gaps in the upper tiers. Its a rough list and I ran out of ideas in that moment lol

I could see reversing the order of the "era's survived" so that the youngest members start at pleistocene and the oldest end up at cambrian, but its also a little counter intuitive too.... hmmm. Ideas lol

laticauda

Ooh this is fun, I like this idea.  I don't really like Super Member - Ultimate member, but after that it gets interesting.  Instead of trainers, what about the rank being based on animal names before you get to the survivor.  For example lets say at 750 you are Trilobite, then at 1000 Anomalocaris then you are a Cambrian Era Survivor at 1300. 

Archinto

ooo, how about take away the regular names and start it kinda like that, maybe make a timeline out of the ranks. I like that idea laticauda

Sim

I'm happy with the current settings.  If more are going to be added, I have to say I actually really dislike the idea of a rank having the name of an animal or animal group in them, e.g. "Trainer of Smilodon", "Trilobite".  I don't want to be forced to be associated with a type of animal.  Especially not the two prehistoric mammals that get the most attention.  I much prefer the idea of prehistoric time periods/places being used for rank names.

laticauda

Quote from: Sim on November 02, 2016, 11:45:10 PM
I'm happy with the current settings.  If more are going to be added, I have to say I actually really dislike the idea of a rank having the name of an animal or animal group in them, e.g. "Trainer of Smilodon", "Trilobite".  I don't want to be forced to be associated with a type of animal.  Especially not the two prehistoric mammals that get the most attention.  I much prefer the idea of prehistoric time periods/places being used for rank names.

I understand your trepidation, just kicking the idea around a bit.  I'm ok with the prehistoric time periods idea as well,  it would be interesting.

Archinto

I like the timeframe ranking more myself than animal names. I want to someday be a Pangean Master Traveler.... that just sounds cool as heck

BlueKrono

Since only seven members have more than 3,000 comments I would make that the highest level to distinguish those select few. For continuing member rankings I would suggest the following benchmarks:

That would more than double the current number. Any more and it might get hard to keep track of where you are in the order. For instance, which is higher, Prehistoric Cave Master or Master of Mammoths? I like the idea of using time periods, with maybe some fun title thrown in.

PaleoMatt

So, is this going to happen? Because it sounds awesome!

suspsy

I like keeping the current names, but adding Super after hitting 1000 posts.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Reptilia

I like the idea of expanding the hierarchy, and some suggestions here sounds cool, so I'd go with the following:

- Newbie (0 / 99)
- Jr. member (100 / 249)
- Sr. member (250 / 499)
- Full member (500 / 999)
- Hero member (1000 / 1499)
- Cretaceous survivor (1500 / 2999)
- Jurassic survivor (3000 / 5999)
- Triassic survivor (6000 / 9999)
- Ultimate master (10000 +)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.