News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Diplodocus: playing with textures

Started by Seijun, June 08, 2012, 06:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

I am enjoying living vicariously through your sculpting myself. I love the sauropods so it is a treat for me. Aside from the idea this is why we are here, to share and enjoy dinosaurs together. If someone doesnt enjoy seeing the slow progress, they should just look once a week right?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Seijun

Here is a texture stamp experiment. If I were to give him scales, they would probably look something like this.

[attachment msg=12032][/attachment]
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

stoneage

Quote from: Seijun on June 20, 2012, 12:40:33 AM
Here is a texture stamp experiment. If I were to give him scales, they would probably look something like this.

It looks pretty good to me.

Lady medusa

I love seeing this step by step process! I learn alot by seeing posts like this, very much appreciated!

Roktman

Quote from: Seijun on June 18, 2012, 07:35:16 PM
Yes, I wear latex gloves when mixing the epoxy. When first mixed it gets very sticky, so gloves keep my hands clean. About 15 minutes after mixing, I usually take the gloves off. By then a lot of the stickiness has gone away, and I find it impossible to smooth and refine small details when I am wearing gloves.

It' s looking really great!!

I love Aves too. Re: the stickiness you can put a tiny bit of powder down on your board like flour on a pizza board, flatten the apoxy or whatever in it, and the stickiness goes away.  If you want to then stick two pieces together you just need a little water. and it gets sticky again.    HTH.

Seijun

I took a some time this weekend to play with skin textures. Scales, wrinkles, rumples, etc. This is the texture I am currently experimenting with. It looks very soft and delicate. I like it, though I dont know if sauropod skin was ever soft or delicate. Please try not to look at his odd club-feet. They are only there as placeholders (I will probably make the feet last, out of epoxy). I also changed the position of his legs a little. 

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

postsaurischian

:D  Niiice!
I can see Invicta love :).

Seijun

Hah! I wasn't even thinking of invictas while working on that, but now that you mention it... I guess they have worked their way into my subconscious thought!

Himmapaan

Blade-of-the-Moon

Really nice work on the texture ! It does instantly bring to mind Invicta which is far from a bad thing. ;D

Seijun

Argentavis

very nice, looks like elephant skin, especially the wrinkles on the hind leg. great work!

Arioch

Very good so far! :) are you planning to add small scales as well?

Seijun

I dont think so.. Everytime I try, it obliterate the wrinkles, creases, and veins, making him look very flat.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Seijun on August 01, 2012, 01:21:47 AM
I dont think so.. Everytime I try, it obliterate the wrinkles, creases, and veins, making him look very flat.

At the scale your doing I wouldn't bother myself. I think they could have had very fine tiny scales..wouldn't be as evident as some figures show.

Himmapaan

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 01, 2012, 04:57:40 AM
Quote from: Seijun on August 01, 2012, 01:21:47 AM

At the scale your doing I wouldn't bother myself. I think they could have had very fine tiny scales..wouldn't be as evident as some figures show.
I agree.

Bokisaurus

Impressive work! Really love the textures on the skin, looks great. Can't wait to see the finish model ;D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.