News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanusaurus

I couldnt resist the Cerato from ED, and the Polacanthus just seems so cheap so I'm giving it a chance (and its British so it works well for my collection). Now I seriously need to stop spending money...

Reptilia

Size comparison between Acrocanthosaurus and other Papo models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMx7Z4czkyk

Shonisaurus

Thanks for the beautiful Reptilia video. Anyway, I like acrocanthosaurus every day (in fact it was my favorite figure of Papo) and I reaffirm myself, although the ceratosaurus is another beautiful figure.  8)

What strikes me most apart from the details of the body (skull, legs, body) are the beautiful details of both the acrocanthosaurus and keratosaurus teeth, their teeth are beautifully differentiated, ie their teeth are not uniform and that is Something that I value a lot of Papo.

CrypticPrism

I love how papo is starting to try to be accurate. It's a refreshing turn from their usual JP stuff.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Shadowknight1

I got my Acro the other day, I'll post some pictures later on.  It's a lovely figure, but I have some slight issues.  Mine has a slightly loose mouth so it doesn't take much to make it's jaw drop slightly open.  It also has some white paint on the side of its face just behind the eye.  And...I don't think the pose is the worst that they've ever done, but it's really reminiscent of their Dilophosaurus with its arm on the ground and head contorted in a weird way.  It doesn't look all that natural from most angles.  On the other hand, considering the Rebor and Safari Acros have almost identical poses to each other, I suppose I should be glad that this one didn't follow suit as well.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 16, 2017, 04:49:03 PM
I love how papo is starting to try to be accurate. It's a refreshing turn from their usual JP stuff.
That is true. They started showing signs of it in 2015. I love this new Papo!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 16, 2017, 05:31:56 PM
I got my Acro the other day, I'll post some pictures later on.  It's a lovely figure, but I have some slight issues.  Mine has a slightly loose mouth so it doesn't take much to make it's jaw drop slightly open.  It also has some white paint on the side of its face just behind the eye.  And...I don't think the pose is the worst that they've ever done, but it's really reminiscent of their Dilophosaurus with its arm on the ground and head contorted in a weird way.  It doesn't look all that natural from most angles.  On the other hand, considering the Rebor and Safari Acros have almost identical poses to each other, I suppose I should be glad that this one didn't follow suit as well.

I have seen the comment regarding the jaw of the acrocanthosaurus this is for me and I do not intend to offend anyone or follower of Papo or other brand that making the jaw articulated has its benefits and also its disadvantages. I'm honestly not a fan of articulated jaws. The reason you comment reaffirms me that could make companies less theropod with jaws articulated for me is a delay. At least when I receive it in my house is a solid reason that I must have it with my jaw closed.

It is the bad thing that they have above all the theropods of Papo and that happens to him unfortunately to other companies. In that aspect I applaud Safari or Favorite for putting two examples that for now still do not make marine reptiles and terópodos with articulated jaws.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Reptilia

I don't speak german, so I might be totally wrong, but I got the impression that both the figures in this review are from the "exclusive" box sets from 2015 and 2016, rather than the standalone versions released this year. I've seen some pics online which make me think that the quality of paint app was much more refined for those limited sets than on the current mass produced standalone versions. I was considering the possibility to buy the repainted Oviraptor, but I'm afraid I could be very disappointed with the quality of the paint job. Anyone from Germany can confirm if my guess is right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXytNqhvbQ

PumperKrickel

deleted

Reptilia

Just checked her channel and she reviewed the T-Rex & Oviraptor set, plus there's a Papo raptors overview from about one year ago, including the blue one. Unless she bought twice both figures I assume they come from the box sets.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Reptilia

Not important, I thought she was saying if the figures were from the sets, but now that I checked back on previous videos I can fairly assume they are. That's a shame that Papo cannot mantain over time the same level of quality for their models.

yankeetrex

Any Pics of the production Dimorphodon yet?  Has it been released?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: yankeetrex on April 24, 2017, 03:52:08 PM
Any Pics of the production Dimorphodon yet?  Has it been released?

The dimorphodon Papo is the great unknown of the list of Papo, it is true what you say is the only one that we only know by his promotional photo of catalog. He has not even appeared in the photo shoot of the various Toy Fairs, which is frustrating. It may be a lot better than we expected, I intuit and I hope I'm not mistaken.

acro-man

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 16, 2017, 05:31:56 PM
On the other hand, considering the Rebor and Safari Acros have almost identical poses to each other, I suppose I should be glad that this one didn't follow suit as well.

You don't say, it was meant to be identical until the sculptor realized it and decided to make the minimal changes.
It inevitably became another Dilophosaurus.

喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Reptilia

Where that pic is coming from? Is it legit or just a modified version? Posed that way seems quite hard for the figure to stand, but if it actually was the original idea I think the sculptor did a big mistake by altering it. It's a pretty common stance for a theropod but still better than replicating one for a figure you already have in your own line.

postsaurischian

It's funny how much better the Acrocanthosaurus looks in this posture.
If only they would have done it this way :(!

acro-man

Quote from: Reptilia on April 27, 2017, 02:05:23 PM
Where that pic is coming from? Is it legit or just a modified version?

Sorry, I modified the original pic just to show that the three could have had the same pose.
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Shonisaurus

Quote from: acro-man on April 27, 2017, 02:25:40 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on April 27, 2017, 02:05:23 PM
Where that pic is coming from? Is it legit or just a modified version?

Sorry, I modified the original pic just to show that the three could have had the same pose.

I recognize that the acrocanthosaurus Safari has a pose similar to that of Rebor but it must be recognized that it is more scientific arithmetically speaking than the acrocanthosaurus Rebor. From my point of view. Doug Watson makes fabulous figures.

For me, the acrocanthosaurus Safari is superior to Rebor being much cheaper without saying that the other brand I like very much too, but it is a little scientific figure and its texture is much worse, and more prone to abrasions.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: