News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Acrofans Dinorama on May 26, 2017, 06:01:51 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 23, 2017, 03:26:26 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on May 04, 2017, 10:50:18 PM
Pretty sure you can find pictures of the Cryolophosaurus and the two mammals going back in this thread. As for the Dimorphodon, the only one available is the official catalogue shot.

The dimorphodon is a mystery seems like a state secret on the part of the company Papo. They do not reveal any photos and only seeing the promotional little we can say.  :(

still no news regarding release :(

You're absolutely right, Acrofans. I suppose that his release will be reantial with respect to the other figures of Papo (cryolophosaurus, ursus spelaeus and smilodon). But Papo could release some photograph related to that pterosaur.

With the single reference of promotional photography, we can not comment on that figure.  :(

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 27, 2017, 01:27:33 AM
Pretty sure you can find pictures of the Cryolophosaurus and the two mammals going back in this thread. As for the Dimorphodon, the only one available is the official catalogue shot.

The dimorphodon is a mystery seems like a state secret on the part of the company Papo. They do not reveal any photos and only seeing the promotional little we can say.  :(

You're absolutely right, Acrofans. I suppose that his release will be reantial with respect to the other figures of Papo (cryolophosaurus, ursus spelaeus and smilodon). But Papo could release some photograph related to that pterosaur.

With the single reference of promotional photography, we can not comment on that figure.  :(

Perhaps the Dimorphodon sculpt is getting altered? (not completely re-sculpted, but getting some quick alterations?) I did remember seeing a lot of disappointment when it was revealed, including from myself.
I am the Dinosaur King!

tanystropheus

It looked pretty awesome, IMO, not as an accurate sculpt, but instead as a JP-style sculpt.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 27, 2017, 07:26:36 AM
It looked pretty awesome, IMO, not as an accurate sculpt, but instead as a JP-style sculpt.
Exactly! And a species from JP canon that doesn't have a good figure yet (which is a first for Papo).

Shonisaurus

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on May 27, 2017, 04:29:08 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 27, 2017, 01:27:33 AM

Perhaps the Dimorphodon sculpt is getting altered? (not completely re-sculpted, but getting some quick alterations?) I did remember seeing a lot of disappointment when it was revealed, including from myself.

Even at the beginning I was quite unfair with the figures of Papo 2017 except for the acrocanthosaurus. I remember in my first statements that I had a very bad concept of ceratosaurus (later I realized that it is a great figure) and the same I can say of cryolophosaurus. The dimorphodon was no exception, so I understand that more information about that figure should be revealed because it might be wrong as happened with the aforementioned dinosaurs I have alluded to.

Takama

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 27, 2017, 03:44:28 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on May 27, 2017, 07:26:36 AM
Exactly! And a species from JP canon that doesn't have a good figure yet (which is a first for Papo).

This is why i wanted to buy this figure.

But looking back to 2011, wasent the ankylosaurus kept underwraps before it was released?

Derek.McManus

Lol...I'm looking forward to getting the cave bear! Double bonus, my son is mad about bears and penguins! 😀

suspsy

I'm presently on holiday in Vermont for. Came across the Polacanthus at a local toy shop. Didn't buy it because it was $24.95 US! Yeesh. I shudder to think what the Canadian price tag will be.  :(

Indeed, Papo's increasing price tags are causing me to seriously consider giving up on the line.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on May 27, 2017, 08:33:18 PM
I'm presently on holiday in Vermont for. Came across the Polacanthus at a local toy shop. Didn't buy it because it was $24.95 US! Yeesh. I shudder to think what the Canadian price tag will be.  :(

Indeed, Papo's increasing price tags are causing me to seriously consider giving up on the line.

That price is abusive. In the stores of my nation they sell for eight euros or so. A polacanthus of that price is complete nonsense. As far as my nation (Spain) is concerned the Papo company is very bad, the previous distributor is in suspension of payments (in short it broke) and the current one has not even commercialized the acrocanthosaurus, ceratosaurus and velociraptor (repintado) of that company .

I am waiting for you ... without success. As I was told by a trader whose trade disappeared due to the economic crisis years ago, said company is comparable to buying Ferrari cars, is that one of the reasons why the company is failing in regards to my nation, because of its high Cost and that is another reason why the masses (parents of children) prefer Schleich figures because they are more affordable from an economic point of view.

That the comments that made me had something prophetic I do not know, but what is certain is that these figures are very expensive anyway. I guess in Vermont they are more expensive since they are figures whose prices increase with the customs problem.

Anyway I'm sorry Suspsy with all my heart and I understand your frustration.

MLMjp

How ironic

Today I just bought the papo polacanthus for 10€ In a shop. They also had the casowary oviraptor repaint. Unfortunately they did not have the acro (which I was hopping to get) or the cerato. But the shop owner told me that he would have them in some time

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 27, 2017, 10:05:04 PM

That price is abusive. In the stores of my nation they sell for eight euros or so. A polacanthus of that price is complete nonsense. As far as my nation (Spain) is concerned the Papo company is very bad, the previous distributor is in suspension of payments (in short it broke) and the current one has not even commercialized the acrocanthosaurus, ceratosaurus and velociraptor (repintado) of that company .

I am waiting for you ... without success. As I was told by a trader whose trade disappeared due to the economic crisis years ago, said company is comparable to buying Ferrari cars, is that one of the reasons why the company is failing in regards to my nation, because of its high Cost and that is another reason why the masses (parents of children) prefer Schleich figures because they are more affordable from an economic point of view.
I had a chat with the shop owner. I told him that it his shop was one of the few that carry papo (it was my first time in his shop) that it is difficult to find papo in Spain. He actually told me something similar to that of what you just said Shonisaurus. There was a distributor who no longer carries them and now there is a new one that supplies him.
The owner was very kind, he told me that if I wanted an specific figure that was not in the shop he would ask the supplier for that particular figure, as long as it had been released previously.
And regarding papo's increasing prices, I asked about the Baryonyx (which he did not have) and he informed me that it's price was on par with the Brachiosaurus! Fortunately the rest of the figures had a decent price.

Sigmasaurus

I don't know what it is about that Cave bear, but it just looks so nice. I can't put my finger on what it is though. But the Cryo is the best to me by far.  ;D

Irritation

Does anyone know a way to make the Acrocanthosaurus stand up on both legs only without damaging it? I want to try it.

Sigmasaurus

Quote from: Irritation on May 29, 2017, 02:00:35 AM
Does anyone know a way to make the Acrocanthosaurus stand up on both legs only without damaging it? I want to try it.

I don't think its possible. Maybe customize it with hot water? I've seen it done with the Papo Baryonyx.

Takama

Jim Kirkland just gave his opinon on the Poalcanthus

TO make things short and Sweet.

The art is OK but the Acuracey is a faliure

suspsy

Here's Jim Kirkland's post:

https://www.facebook.com/jamesik1/posts/10154823956248370

QuoteAs someone who knows a bit about Polacanthus, I say it is the worse of the recent attempts. WHY do these guys never talk to people who know something about the beasts the are working on? Bottom line art OK; scientific accuracy, a fail.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Irritation

Quote from: SpinoLord The Collector on May 29, 2017, 02:16:47 AM

I don't think its possible. Maybe customize it with hot water? I've seen it done with the Papo Baryonyx.
Do you know where that link is?

tanystropheus

It seems like an educated guess on Papo's part. Perhaps, the research is pointing in that direction, regarding the helmeted head?

As stated earlier by Halichoeres, the Gobisaurus (relatives of Polacanthus) sported the helmeted skulls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polacanthus

According to wikipedia,  "....some important anatomical features, such as its skull, are poorly known."

I fail to see how Papo messed up.

Sigmasaurus

Quote from: Irritation on May 29, 2017, 03:46:00 AM

I saw it on an amazon review.

Irritation

Quote from: SpinoLord The Collector on May 29, 2017, 04:28:57 AM
Quote from: Irritation on May 29, 2017, 03:46:00 AM

I saw it on an amazon review.
Where is that amazon review?

PumperKrickel

deleted

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: