News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 29, 2017, 04:00:45 AM
It seems like an educated guess on Papo's part. Perhaps, the research is pointing in that direction, regarding the helmeted head?

As stated earlier by Halichoeres, the Gobisaurus (relatives of Polacanthus) sported the helmeted skulls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polacanthus

According to wikipedia,  "....some important anatomical features, such as its skull, are poorly known."

I fail to see how Papo messed up.

Look at the most well known feature of Polacanthus, the pelvic shield.  The osteoderms on the Papo Polacanthus's shield don't match those of the real animal.  The smaller osteoderms on the Papo's shield are by far too big and not numerous enough.  The larger osteoderms on the Papo's shield are also too big and not enough in number.  The Papo Polacanthus also has a single row of midline spike osteoderms on its tail.  In reality though, ankylosaur midline osteoderms are always paired, and a skeletal showing the known remains of Polacanthus shows  Polacanthus's tail osteoderms were paired.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on May 29, 2017, 12:27:46 PM
It seems like an educated guess on Papo's part. Perhaps, the research is pointing in that direction, regarding the helmeted head?

As stated earlier by Halichoeres, the Gobisaurus (relatives of Polacanthus) sported the helmeted skulls.

According to wikipedia,  "....some important anatomical features, such as its skull, are poorly known."

Look at the most well known feature of Polacanthus, the pelvic shield.  The osteoderms on the Papo Polacanthus's shield don't match those of the real animal.  The smaller osteoderms on the Papo's shield are by far too big and not numerous enough.  The larger osteoderms on the Papo's shield are also too big and not enough in number.  The Papo Polacanthus also has a single row of midline spike osteoderms on its tail.  In reality though, ankylosaur midline osteoderms are always paired, and a skeletal showing the known remains of Polacanthus shows  Polacanthus's tail osteoderms were paired.

Thank you for the information.

Looking at the picture of the Papo Polacanthus, I would say that they've done a fairly respectable job, despite the inaccuracies that you've mentioned :

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2912/33370371250_5a60e19ece_b.jpg

I wonder if it is the best Polacanthus in the market? The Collecta version is missing the dorsal demarcation over the hips, and I think the head might be wrong, altogether.  How does the WWD version compare to the Papo?

Irritation

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 30, 2017, 12:27:08 AM

Looking at the picture of the Papo Polacanthus, I would say that they've done a fairly respectable job, despite the inaccuracies that you've mentioned :

I wonder if it is the best Polacanthus in the market? The Collecta version is missing the dorsal demarcation over the hips, and I think the head might be wrong, altogether.  How does the WWD version compare to the Papo?
Me too. In fact, I have one and I'm planning on getting more to prepare the Iguanodon herd when Papo makes the Iguanodon.

Reptilia

Could be that the Dimorphodon was a last minute addition to the 2017 line-up, so maybe Papo didn't have a sample ready when previews were shown at toy fairs back in january. I doubt they've been tweaking the sculpt. Anyway the wait can't be that long by now, I think we'll get the remaining models before the end of the summer.

Sigmasaurus

Quote from: Irritation on May 29, 2017, 07:12:55 AM
Quote from: SpinoLord The Collector on May 29, 2017, 04:28:57 AM
Quote from: Irritation on May 29, 2017, 03:46:00 AM
Quote from: SpinoLord The Collector on May 29, 2017, 02:16:47 AM
Quote from: Irritation on May 29, 2017, 02:00:35 AM
Does anyone know a way to make the Acrocanthosaurus stand up on both legs only without damaging it? I want to try it.

I don't think its possible. Maybe customize it with hot water? I've seen it done with the Papo Baryonyx.
Do you know where that link is?

I saw it on an amazon review.
Where is that amazon review?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2KR7MAB6W83GR/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01B6B8UO4

Halichoeres

Quote from: Irritation on May 30, 2017, 02:04:30 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on May 30, 2017, 12:27:08 AM

Me too. In fact, I have one and I'm planning on getting more to prepare the Iguanodon herd when Papo makes the Iguanodon.

Honestly, after I got the figure in hand, I found a lot to dislike about the head (I talk about it a little in my collection thread). It's true that some other ankylosaurs had pretty helmeted-looking heads, but they didn't really resemble what we have in the Papo Polacanthus. Some of the comments on Kirkland's post are a little unfair, in that they come close to criticizing the sculpt for not conforming to a vaguely-alluded-to skull of Polacanthus which is unpublished. I don't think a sculptor can be expected to consult unpublished material. All the same, Sim's right to point out that it's not a great match for known postcranial material either. I still think it's better than the CollectA version (a low, low bar), and roughly on par with the WWD version. Just my opinion.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Acro's comics

I wonder if we will hear anything about the new models this month?  :)

RobinGoodfellow

..apparently Cryolophosaurus is in stock:

http://www.spielfigurenportal.de/epages/64412781.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64412781/Products/%22Papo%2055068%22

I never bought from that shop in the past... I'll wait for Urzeitshop or EverythingDinosaurs....

Lanthanotus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on June 14, 2017, 05:06:15 PM
..apparently Cryolophosaurus is in stock:

http://www.spielfigurenportal.de/epages/64412781.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64412781/Products/%22Papo%2055068%22

I never bought from that shop in the past... I'll wait for Urzeitshop or EverythingDinosaurs....

I buy a lot from them, since I purchased a first figure from them via ebay. That parcel never arrived me, but the seller reacted immidiatly and replaced it, no questions asked. Since then I frequently buy from them and they deliver to me each time within one/two days (I usually order somewhen mid week evenings and receive the parcel the second day after). Prices are very good and shipping prices are cheap (despite being DHL), highly recommended (I live in Germany though, so no plan about international shipping conditions).

However, to be fair, I also buy from Urzeitshop and EverythingDinosaur, both never disappointed me neither :)

Shonisaurus

What happens in nations like Spain is shame. We are still waiting for the ceratosaurus and acrocanthosaurus, the distributor we have is unfortunately rather loose, because I owe to my traditional shop from a commercial point of view of loyalty and I do not buy them to an online store, but from my point of view it is quite It is rare that the distributor does not sell its products in this nation having as its neighbor the French main distributor.

At this stage the rest of Papo figures will have my store at the end of the year or mid of next year.

postsaurischian

;D Godzilla pose!

more pictures here!

spinosaurus1

i swear, you take the best photos of these dinosaur figures

Moodyraptor

I like the pose, personally - it doesn't look it stands that way all the time, it looks like it's just reared up on its hind legs to look at something, and that gives it a character and a dynamism.  Great photos.

Shonisaurus

The cryolophosaurus vaguely reminds me of Bernie Wrightson's allosaurus the figure is beautiful (it is very well finished) but it is at the same time terrifying.  8)

postsaurischian

:) Thank you for the compliments!

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 15, 2017, 04:18:54 PM
The cryolophosaurus vaguely reminds me of Bernie Wrightson's allosaurus the figure is beautiful (it is very well finished) but it is at the same time terrifying.  8)

:D I'm a huge Wrightson fan and I have the original Allosaurus print (I have four of the five prints - only Plesiosaurus missing >:().
      Now that you say it ..... yes, there are conformities in Papo's and Berni's styles >:D!

(I'm spelling Berni without the "e" because he changed that in the mid-eighties. The Dinosaur prints are from 1977.)

Shonisaurus

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 15, 2017, 08:41:51 PM
:) Thank you for the compliments!

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 15, 2017, 04:18:54 PM

:D I'm a huge Wrightson fan and I have the original Allosaurus print (I have four of the five prints - only Plesiosaurus missing >:().
      Now that you say it ..... yes, there are conformities in Papo's and Berni's styles >:D!

(I'm spelling Berni without the "e" because he changed that in the mid-eighties. The Dinosaur prints are from 1977.)

The difference between the majority illustrations by Bernie Wrightson is that his creatures of terror are mythological beings, from scary novel or science fiction while the dinosaurs he draws are animals that really existed, lived, breathed and killed millions of years ago, Which makes these real creatures even more fascinating and disturbing.

I also like the style of Bernie Wrightson is one of my favorites.  >:D

Reptilia

I clearly remember someone saying that the Papo Cryolophosaurus is inspired by the one in Dinosaur Revolution, and I thought they were referring to the colour scheme mainly, but I just googled it and among the first results there's this:

The posture looks very similar to the Papo figure, maybe I missed something and this picture has been already brought up? I think it would be fun to show all Papo's references to various pop culture media.

Takama

Quote from: Reptilia on June 16, 2017, 04:47:25 AM
I clearly remember someone saying that the Papo Cryolophosaurus is inspired by the one in Dinosaur Revolution, and I thought they were referring to the colour scheme mainly, but I just googled it and among the first results there's this:

The posture looks very similar to the Papo figure, maybe I missed something and this picture has been already brought up? I think it would be fun to show all Papo's references to various pop culture media.

It was me who broght it up.   But it was mostly the colors that made me make the comparison.     And everyone said i was full of it.    Well now you found an image that may or may not prove them wrong into thinking that That show had SOME influence on the creation of that model.

Minmiminime

That looks a lot better than I expected! Thank you for sharing, Postsaurischian. Those colours are quite something. I'm really looking forward to this one, now ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

postsaurischian

I think the Cryolophosaurus is a great figure. Maybe I should also mention that it's not a tripod.
Mine has been standing perfectly on its two hind legs for 4 days now and we have passed the 30°C mark
in the South-West of Germany at the moment, so yeah, the figure seems to be very well produced :).
It has a tiny kind of a "snow shoe" under its right foot that stabilizes the position.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: