News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

I get what Postsaurischian is saying and Dr. Admin echoes. At the end of the day, this is a toy. And no, it is not Papo's worst. The Baryonyx, Plesiosaurus, Tylosaurus, Oviraptor, and older toys like the Triceratops and Stegosaurus are not better than this and in a few cases, far worse. Papo is hit and miss, like every company. You're looking at a $25 toy here, and if you don't feel like that $25 will be well spent on this TOY then dish out a little extra for what you actually want.

Saurox

Just another bandwagon like with the Bary and the Kaprosuchas...etc

Papo just can't win with the rabble.

SpartanSquat

Its not the best figure from Papo but not the worst. I hope Papo have something hidden to surprise us!

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on December 09, 2016, 03:04:56 AM
I get what Postsaurischian is saying and Dr. Admin echoes. At the end of the day, this is a toy. And no, it is not Papo's worst. The Baryonyx, Plesiosaurus, Tylosaurus, Oviraptor, and older toys like the Triceratops and Stegosaurus are not better than this and in a few cases, far worse. Papo is hit and miss, like every company. You're looking at a $25 toy here, and if you don't feel like that $25 will be well spent on this TOY then dish out a little extra for what you actually want.

Indeed. Right now, I shudder to think of the reactions if the Acrocanthosaurus and the Iguanodon fail to live up to 100% expectation.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

You make some valid points. However, I think the Polacanthus will be a smaller investment, around the $12-$14 range. Although, it is possible that it will sell for more since Papo spiked their prices as of 2016 (perhaps, in response to REBOR).

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 09, 2016, 03:21:03 AM

You make some valid points. However, I think the Polacanthus will be a smaller investment, around the $12-$14 range. Although, it is possible that it will sell for more since Papo spiked their prices as of 2016 (perhaps, in response to REBOR).

Why would Papo jack up their prices in response to REBOR? I assumed it was not-good old-fashioned inflation that caused the spike.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on December 09, 2016, 03:18:53 AM

Indeed. Right now, I shudder to think of the reactions if the Acrocanthosaurus and the Iguanodon fail to live up to 100% expectation.

If the Papo Iguanodon ends up being anything less than the Crystal Palace version, I will go into a frenzy  :))
I hope the Papo Acro ends up being somewhere between the WS and REBOR versions in terms of quality.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on December 09, 2016, 03:23:09 AM

Why would Papo jack up their prices in response to REBOR? I assumed it was not-good old-fashioned inflation that caused the spike.

Perhaps, they felt they could get away with charging more for their products? Or it could be related to some other market conditions as you've stated.

Takama

Quote from: suspsy on December 09, 2016, 03:23:09 AM

Inflation is Exacly the Reason Papo models went up in price. Dan Of Dans Dinosaurs told me that he used to sell the Spinosaurus for only 19.99, but now he has to sell it for 29.99.

stargatedalek

Anyone has the rite to think of this as Papo's worst if they feel that way, and to express their opinion. I simply dislike this design, at the end of the day it doesn't matter if that opinion is unanimous or not because it's not going to be swayed by majority.

The thing is I don't have to dish out more to get figures I like better. It's unfair to compare a mass produced figure to model kits or statues, but that goes both ways, and saying "if you want better you should pay more" isn't a fair rebuttal. You can write off anyone's negative opinions with "if you want better you should pay more".

Why is it alright to be disappointed when Papo produces another film styled theropod, but when they make a less represented species suddenly making the same sorts of complaints is a sin?

Verahin

I don't know what you all mean by inflated prices for Papos, I payed for the three 2016 figures the same price other Papos of the same size costed me. I think there are simply retailers that charge more than others.

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 09, 2016, 03:45:32 AM
Anyone has the rite to think of this as Papo's worst if they feel that way, and to express their opinion. I simply dislike this design, at the end of the day it doesn't matter if that opinion is unanimous or not because it's not going to be swayed by majority.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion BUT...I can still call it like I see it and share mine.

QuoteThe thing is I don't have to dish out more to get figures I like better. It's unfair to compare a mass produced figure to model kits or statues, but that goes both ways, and saying "if you want better you should pay more" isn't a fair rebuttal. You can write off anyone's negative opinions with "if you want better you should pay more".

You generally get what you pay for. Toys like this despite the flaws they have are still far better than they need to be for simply being toys. You can either accept those flaws and be happy that someone made an affordable representation of an obscure animal or you can pay more for something better. People really do take things for granted these days. I remember when the best ankylosaur on the market didn't even have toes.

QuoteWhy is it alright to be disappointed when Papo produces another film styled theropod, but when they make a less represented species suddenly making the same sorts of complaints is a sin?

I'm never really disappointed by what Papo produced. They've been in the game awhile and I know what to expect and if I like what they produce I buy it, if I don't then I don't buy it.

Flaffy

Due to price restraints, I have yet to acquire a single papo figure. I wanted the kaprosuchus, but it was just too darn expensive.

Gwangi

You're probably right, which would make it THAT much more awesome that we can get a model this nice of an obscure dinosaur for such an affordable price. Like I said, people are spoiled and take things for granted.

Neosodon

Many of my favorite models I've managed to get for under $10. The problem isn't that papo doesn't put enough money and effort into making their models. Papo just makes some bad choices in their designs. I got Collecta Gastonia for $8 and it has a great paint job and there are no flaps of skin hanging off underneath the neck and tail.

Saying that you need to spend like $50 to get a decent model is no longer true. Safari Nasutoceratops is almost sideshow quality and only costs like $10. Safari and Collecta  are steadily improving their quality while keeping there prices low. If they can do it papo can too.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Neosodon on December 09, 2016, 05:02:49 AM
Many of my favorite models I've managed to get for under $10. The problem isn't that papo doesn't put enough money and effort into making their models. Papo just makes some bad choices in their designs. I got Collecta Gastonia for $8 and it has a great paint job and there are no flaps of skin hanging off underneath the neck and tail.

Saying that you need to spend like $50 to get a decent model is no longer true. Safari Nasutoceratops is almost sideshow quality and only costs like $10. Safari and Collecta  are steadily improving their quality while keeping there prices low. If they can do it papo can too.

I don't see flaps of skin myself. They look like ridges or wrinkles.  But do we know that this animal wasn't like that? I t may have had an iguana-like dewlap for all we know. you can't compare one representation and say this is how they all should be.  Collecta did one thing Papo did another, neither is wrong.

No offense to Doug and I mean AT ALL, but saying the Nasutoceratops is Sideshow quality is a heck of a leap.

Nanuqsaurus

I actually really like the Polacanthus, don't see anything wrong with it. I think I'll get it once it's released.

Kikimalou

Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM

It could be worst....but I think that this is probably the WORST figure ever made by Papo. It looks like a Schleich figure, as I said as soon as I saw the blurry image. Those folds under the neck and tail...my God...

Edit: By the way, I went ahead and took the time to register myself on the STS forum and post here this picture...dont understand why the members already registered were talking about it without pictures...

I read you registered on STS to take the pics and paste them on DTF, I would prefer you asked me, I don't like this way of proceeding. I would never paste a pic from DTF or ATF to STS without asking.
As a STS member I made a walkaround of the polacanthus for STS. As a DTF member, I always show pics of "Before Christmas" models on this forum but I like to do it myself. I'm happy to know most of DTF members were talking about it without pictures, it is very polite and I appreciate a lot. Cheers!

Albertosaurus

Quote from: Kikimalou on December 09, 2016, 08:24:04 AM

It could be worst....but I think that this is probably the WORST figure ever made by Papo. It looks like a Schleich figure, as I said as soon as I saw the blurry image. Those folds under the neck and tail...my God...

Edit: By the way, I went ahead and took the time to register myself on the STS forum and post here this picture...dont understand why the members already registered were talking about it without pictures...

I read you registered on STS to take the pics and paste them on DTF, I would prefer you asked me, I don't like this way of proceeding. I would never paste a pic from DTF or ATF to STS without asking.
As a STS member I made a walkaround of the polacanthus for STS. As a DTF member, I always show pics of "Before Christmas" models on this forum but I like to do it myself. I'm happy to know most of DTF members were talking about it without pictures, it is very polite and I appreciate a lot. Cheers!

Yeah,that is what happens when you post pictures of an article made by a third company that you don't have any ownership over it, on a public forum on the Internet. It would be totally different if it was a piece of artwork created by yourself, or your face was showing. Then I would have asked for your permission to share it here. I think that you are more than credited having your watermark with your name on the image. Next time I will ask for permission to the photographer of Sideshow just in case he gets mad about me sharing some dinosauria statues here.
Cheers!

Verahin

Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 09, 2016, 11:51:31 AM
Quote from: Kikimalou on December 09, 2016, 08:24:04 AM

Yeah,that is what happens when you post pictures of an article made by a third company that you don't have any ownership over it, on a public forum on the Internet. It would be totally different if it was a piece of artwork created by yourself, or your face was showing. Then I would have asked for your permission to share it here. I think that you are more than credited having your watermark with your name on the image. Next time I will ask for permission to the photographer of Sideshow just in case he gets mad about me sharing some dinosauria statues here.
Cheers!

I second that, otherwise we wouldn't be allowed to use or link 95% of the pictures that are on the internet. People gets too sensitive and pretentious with such things these days, it is simply a bunch of pictures of a PVC figure, as Albertosaurus said above, nothing more, sounds a bit patronizing to come here and make such a statement like somebody had stolen something from you. And by the way the pictures on STS are about 20, here we have been given just a couple to get an idea of how the model looks like... so yeah, a bit of an overreaction.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: