News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: gfxtwin on December 14, 2016, 04:24:47 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 13, 2016, 08:22:13 PM

However, the Spinosaurus is a first generation Papo product. If it was re-released today it would be significantly more detailed, with finer sculpting and texture work. The Papo Brown T-rex is more detailed than the Papo Green T-rex.

Disagree with this.  While the sculptor is as good as ever, the plastic they've frequently been using on figures recently softens detail and results in a shinier look that also negatively effects detail by making them resemble plastic in a much more obvious way, instead of the "sculpture" look of the earlier papo figures.  Have no idea why they switched over to that material (first noticed it with the Pachyrhinosaurus) given how fantastic the earlier figures came out.
Durability. This newer plastic is far more resistant to dropping or warping, instead of breaking it will bend and then shift back into shape.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Killekor on December 13, 2016, 09:11:03 PM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on December 13, 2016, 09:04:11 PM
With the exception of the two post famous dinosaurs in the world and babies, Papo hasn't made a second sculpt of a species they have already produced before. I actually like this and personally would prefer it if they kept making new genus than start remaking older models. I haven't seen any of Papo's new dinosaurs personally, but from photos from other forum members the quality has actually seemed to drop. The standing T. rex is amazing and is far superior compared to what I have seen of the Baryonyx.

First of all, Is not Real. They have do 2 Velociraptor sculptures, the Jp and the feathered ones.

Second: Is Better release many sculptures of a species that many variants, it's extra boring to see every year more than 2 variants.

Killekor

I know. With the exception of babies, Papo has made re sculpts of the two most famous dinosaurs (T. rex and Velociraptor)

Shonisaurus

By the way I learned in sts-forum that the novelties of Bullyland (from what I read quite a few, I do not know if there will be any dinosaur) will not make them known until early next year. Let's hope that does not happen with Papo, because it would be the worst, obviously resuming the thread of the issue of Papo 2017.

sauroid

that polacanthus is not bad at all.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Verahin

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 14, 2016, 04:37:55 PM
By the way I learned in sts-forum that the novelties of Bullyland (from what I read quite a few, I do not know if there will be any dinosaur) will not make them known until early next year. Let's hope that does not happen with Papo, because it would be the worst, obviously resuming the thread of the issue of Papo 2017.

As I said a few posts back Papo are expected to reveal their new figures around december 20, according to Everything Dinosaur, why not believe him and keep on speculating for the worst?

Jetoar

New dinos from Papo 2017  ^-^.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1672184746328700/1830623747151465/?ref=notif&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1481930344386435

Acrocanthosaurus

Ceratosaurus

Cryolophosaurus

Dimorphodon

Smilodon

Cave Bear

Polacanthus

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

MLMjp

Quote from: Jetoar on December 16, 2016, 11:34:02 PM
New dinos from Papo 2017  ^-^.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1672184746328700/1830623747151465/?ref=notif&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1481930344386435

Acrocanthosaurus

Ceratosaurus

Cryolophosaurus

Dimorphodon

Smilodon

Cave Bear

Polacanthus

:o :o :o :o
That´s unexpected. Now where did those came from???!! :o :o
And why there´s no Iguanodon?

CityRaptor

Uh, could you post the pics here for those who do not have facebook? The link says I need a facebook account.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

Blade-of-the-Moon

Woah! Love those theropods!

suspsy

I'll have more thoughts to post later, but that is the ugliest Smilodon figure I've ever seen. :-[
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

Thank you. Well, I guess we do not have to worry about the quality of their Dinosaurs anymore, as some people here did.
I guess Dimorphodon is having a bit of a popularity boost lately thanks to a certain movie.
The mammals do not look that great, but I don't collect mammals anyways, so I don't really care about that.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Patrx

The new theropods are looking pretty cool, but man if they aren't the most 90's reconstructions put to plastic.

Rain

I'm really liking that Crylophosaurus. The Acrocanthosaurus looks like it'd pair well with Rebors with a matching paintjob. I like how bulky the Ceratosaurus is but I'm not really a fan of how the head turned out on the Dimorphodon. It looks like it doesn't really belong on a Pterosaur. I dont collect mammals but that mane on the Smilodon is strange..
Guess I'll be looking out for that Crylophosaurus next year

Takama

Quote from: Rain on December 16, 2016, 11:58:54 PM
I'm really liking that Crylophosaurus. The Acrocanthosaurus looks like it'd pair well with Rebors with a matching paintjob. I like how bulky the Ceratosaurus is but I'm not really a fan of how the head turned out on the Dimorphodon. It looks like it doesn't really belong on a Pterosaur. I dont collect mammals but that mane on the Smilodon is strange..

I thought it was obvious that they only made it like that Because it was ripped from JW

Rain

I remembered them looking a lot more monstrous but I guess you're right.

Jose S.M.

I think I might get the Cryolophosaurus, the sculpt and color looks great, but that pose is plausible?
Ceratosaurus... I'm considering if I like it enough, something abbot the head looks strange, maybe is the angle.
I was waiting for a Ceratosaurus and Cryolophosaurus before buying best the existent models of those. Now I have more options, that makes me happy.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Patrx on December 16, 2016, 11:56:33 PM
The new theropods are looking pretty cool, but man if they aren't the most 90's reconstructions put to plastic.

Lucky I dig the 90's then  lol

Is it the lack of feathers? these three species I don't think there any evidence?  The hands look correct, color and detail look good. no really generic theropod heads, i'm actually pretty impressed.  I'm not much on mammals but the Cave Bear looks well done too.

Now the Dimorphodon..i'm feeling iffy about.  The Smilodon i thought was part of the fantasy line at first lol

stargatedalek

Dimorphodon is the only must-have for me this year (although Cryolophosaurus is one I'd like to pick up eventually too). Normally I prefer licensed JP merch, but Hasbro's Dimorphodon just weren't good enough.

suspsy

The Cryolophosaurus is alright, but the pose is terrible.

The Acrocanthosaurus would be a winner if only it wasn't pretending desperately to be a T. rex with that colour scheme.

The Ceratosaurus looks like the best of the three theropods. I just hope it's not bigger than the Allosaurus.

Ugh, that Dimorphodon is repulsive. It looks like someone grafted a generic theropod head onto a flayed pterosaur body. That token patch of pycnofibres on its head only makes it look worse. I'm tempted to send a photo of this monstrosity to CollectA. I'm sure they'd enjoy a good laugh.

I'm indifferent to the cave bear. It baffles me how no company has tackle a short-faced bear yet. Arctotherium would literally eat Ursus spelaeus for breakfast.

And again, between the misaligned fangs, the lion mane, and the tiger stripes, that Smilodon is laughably ridiculous. It's as though Papo tried to out-awesomebro Rebor. And succeeded.

On the positive side, I'm going to be saving some cash next year.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: