News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Mr Seo doesn't work with 3D printers, as far as I know, he sculpts the figures in the traditional way and then handpaints them. He posted pictures of his prototypes on Papo Korea's blog earlier last year. And his prototypes are those that are photographed for the stock photos that go into the catalogue. Except for the repaints, which you can notice are production pieces with the new paintjob applied.

I don't know if the bear is by Mr Seo or by the sculptor that's responsible for all previous prehistoric mammals, but the new Smilodon is the very same style of the extant big felines that are also sculpted by Mr Seo, so I'm pretty sure that at least that one is not a 3D print. As for other companies I don't know, but I highly doubt that Rebor, for example, uses 3D prints as prototypes.

Shonisaurus

I understand that because it is sculpted in a traditional way, it does not mean that the figures come out badly. For example Schleich makes handmade figures including their dinosaurs and prehistoric animals and unfortunately the figures give much to be desired.

Over time (perhaps not now) 3D printer figures will be made even better and more detailed than the handmade ones, without this means that the handmade or handmade have more merit by the work they behave and its cost.

Saurox

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 17, 2017, 12:37:22 PM
Quote from: Sentry on January 16, 2017, 10:37:55 PM
Any clues on releases?

In regards to cryolophosaurus according to the facebook page of everythingdinosaur.co.uk comments that it would not be available unfortunately until summer. It's the only thing I heard so far.

Oh, that's disappointing :(  Thanks for the info anyway :)

spinosaurus1

wow, i'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but the color scheme on the papo crylophosaurus is nearly exactly like the color scheme on the sideshow ceratosurus.

Neosodon

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on January 18, 2017, 01:05:47 AM
wow, i'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but the color scheme on the papo crylophosaurus is nearly exactly like the color scheme on the sideshow ceratosurus.
To bad the pose doesn't look alike. :(

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

spinosaurus1

Quote from: Neosodon on January 18, 2017, 01:18:04 AM
Quote from: spinosaurus1 on January 18, 2017, 01:05:47 AM
To bad the pose doesn't look alike. :(

lol. true. i'll be honest, i kinda wish the papo certosaurus had the crylophosaurus color scheme just so i could have what is essentially a cheaper, miniature version of my sideshow ceratosaurus.

John

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 17, 2017, 06:28:15 PM
Quote from: John on January 17, 2017, 03:37:38 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on January 17, 2017, 01:40:33 PM
Quote from: John on January 17, 2017, 06:59:58 AM
The two prehistoric mammals appear to be made from 3D prints.If you look at the cave bear,you can even see the step lines from the printing process. :)

The Cave Bear shows a strange texturing indeed, but I doubt we'll see it replicated on mass produced models. The Smilodon looks pretty nice instead, and not a 3D print at all to my eye. It has Mr Seo's signature sculpt, I like it much more now that I can appreciate the detail in better quality.
CollectA's newer models for at least the last 3 or so years are all from 3D prints too,and they do a very good job of removing the step lines.So it would not surprise me to see Papo do the same. :)

That's the first I've heard of that. So does that mean each piece is 3D printed, or just the original design, from which a physical mold is made?
Just the original design from which the mold is made. :)
I'm liking the Ceratosaurus from what I can see so far.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tanystropheus

It looks like a highly-evolved, intelligent Cryolophosaurus.

Dobber

To me the pose looks like it is either rearing up to then come down on prey or preparing to mate.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

terrorchicken

^or its grasping onto the the back or side of a very large sauropod...wanting to grab a chunk off that yummy flesh while hoping it doesn't fall off...though in such a scenario the feet would be re-positioned a bit differently.

anyway Ill just look at it as Papo's version of Carnegie's tripod stance.  O:-)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dobber on January 18, 2017, 05:38:14 PM
To me the pose looks like it is either rearing up to then come down on prey or preparing to mate.

Chris

In that case the best place for it is on the shelf right behind the Papo Dilophosaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tanystropheus

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 18, 2017, 07:19:24 PM
Quote from: Dobber on January 18, 2017, 05:38:14 PM

Chris

In that case the best place for it is on the shelf right behind the Papo Dilophosaurus.

Is that how Monolophosaurus are made?  ;)

Silvanusaurus

To me it most resembles the rearing Dilophosaurus from the Carnegie pair. These 'reactionary' poses, like the Baryonyx too, are interesting, but they'd make more sense if they also released other figures with the direct counter pose, so you could make a dynamic display if you so wished.

Reptilia

I know that the two animals didn't live in the same environment and period, but I display my Baryonyx as it is attacking the Kaprosuchus. One in front of each other they look perfect, although I doubt it was intentional on Papo's part. Guess I'll do the same with Cryolophosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus.

Saurox

I can't wait to see more up to date pictures. I remember the difference between the stock photos and those taken by other people for last years models.

Reptilia

Just checked Everything Dinosaur blog and it says that the first wave is Polacanthus plus the two repaints. As I suspected we might have to wait well into spring or even early summer to get the theropods.

Saurox

Quote from: Reptilia on January 19, 2017, 01:22:11 AM
Just checked Everything Dinosaur blog and it says that the first wave is Polacanthus plus the two repaints. As I suspected we might have to wait well into spring or even early summer to get the theropods.

That's pretty annoying :(, oh well :)

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on January 18, 2017, 10:26:16 PM
To me it most resembles the rearing Dilophosaurus from the Carnegie pair. These 'reactionary' poses, like the Baryonyx too, are interesting, but they'd make more sense if they also released other figures with the direct counter pose, so you could make a dynamic display if you so wished.

Which is why I'm guessing next years Iguanodon will have a pose in reaction to the Baryonyx. Which would make a pretty good scene.
I am the Dinosaur King!

PumperKrickel

I always thought that Carnotaurus and Ankylosaurus belonged together. Apatosaurus and Allosaurus are also obviously a pair.

Shonisaurus

I hope that in the toy fair of Nuremberg or London you can see more images of Papo's novelties.

I am intrigued at the size of the cryolophosaurus and dimorphodon. I have the impression that they will be very small.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: