News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmasaurus

If I only had to get 1 of the New Papo it would EASILY be that Cryolophosaurus.

hao_bao

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 27, 2017, 10:56:07 AM
Polacanthus looks pretty good with the Sauropelta and Euoplocephalus.

Papo should attempt to make another stegosaurid (a Lexovisaurus would be nice). Where is the Papo Kentrosaurus? Every established dinosaur company has one.

I miss Papo ceratopsians, but it seems that WS and CollectA has me covered (for now). I'm also looking forward to ceratopsian models by PNSO, REBOR and Creative Beast.

The Euoplocephalus is marketed as an Ankylosaurus.

ZoPteryx

I'll definitely be picking up the Cryo and Cerato, minor inaccuracies aside, they look gorgeous!  The Acro is a solid maybe pending more photos, just wish the arms and head were smaller.

Derek.McManus

Just noticed that the new Papo figures are up for release on the Wonderland Models website in two batches the 15th of March and the 20th April prices start at £6.99.

Reptilia

Hopefully, it'd be nice to have all new models as early as april.

Acro's comics

Quote from: Derek.McManus on March 05, 2017, 01:59:50 PM
Just noticed that the new Papo figures are up for release on the Wonderland Models website in two batches the 15th of March and the 20th April prices start at £6.99.

That is very exciting. I can't wait to see them in person.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

I am surprised that the new Ceratosaurus doesn't look like the one in JP3 and has four fingers, non-pronated hands, and has an accurate nose horn and the ridges over its eyes! Papo is doing really well this year. I really want the Cryolophosaurus, the Acrocanthosaurus, and the Ceratosaurus.

CityRaptor

Papo has moved away from JP in recent years. Sure, there is sometimes still a new JP inspired piece, like the Dimorphodon ( not counting the Raptor as it is a Redeco ), but not as often as it used to be. Their Dilophosaurus is not based on JP either, despite having a rather iconic look in the movie. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 07, 2017, 11:31:36 PM
Papo has moved away from JP in recent years. Sure, there is sometimes still a new JP inspired piece, like the Dimorphodon ( not counting the Raptor as it is a Redeco ), but not as often as it used to be. Their Dilophosaurus is not based on JP either, despite having a rather iconic look in the movie.
I see what you mean. Probably the first non-JP inspired dinosaur in the Papo line was the Papo Allosaurus.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on March 08, 2017, 01:53:45 AM
I see what you mean. Probably the first non-JP inspired dinosaur in the Papo line was the Papo Allosaurus.
As much as I love my Papo Allosaurus, I can plainly see that, while there isn't an Allosaurus in the JP franchise as yet, the figure clearly looks like something that would be in those movies.  Especially with the pronated hands.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 08, 2017, 11:58:24 AM
Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on March 08, 2017, 01:53:45 AM
As much as I love my Papo Allosaurus, I can plainly see that, while there isn't an Allosaurus in the JP franchise as yet, the figure clearly looks like something that would be in those movies.  Especially with the pronated hands.
I totally agree with that.

CityRaptor

Inded the Dino Showdown Allosaurus  ( not to be confused with the Jurassic World one ) seems to be inspired by the Papo, or at least the same piece of artwork.
Oh no

SpartanSquat

Actually Papo Allosaurus was inspired by first Brett Booth Allosaurus
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/mesozoicera/images/1/17/Allosaurus-Brett-Booth-2-1024x318.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110804164002
Also the Minigiga is inspired by his Tyrannotitan.

Derek.McManus

I always thought that the Papo Allosaurs looked slightly satanic!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Derek.McManus on March 08, 2017, 04:50:08 PM

Man the allosaurus of Papo is fabulous but that to be inspired in the work of Brett is satanic, does not seem fair to me. Dinosaurs and prehistoric animals and animals in general including the present for me are beautiful in their own way.

Even the animals that we call contemptuously "vermin" (as for example: tarantulas, mambas, scorpions or vipers) have their beauty and charm. For example the irisdiscente cobalt blue tarantula Pterinopelma Sazimai.

The dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures in general were in spite of that of a great majority we know few remnants creatures exceptions. As I say the ugly and also if it is big is beautiful.

I summarize Papo's allosaurus is a prominent piece in my collection and for a figure of great beauty although unfortunately it is not paleontologically correct at one hundred percent.

Derek.McManus

Don't get me wrong I think Papo's Allosaurs is a wonderful figure but my initial reaction on seeing it was twofold...dynamic and satanic just the impression I got
..odd when you consider it since if anything Papo's Carnotaurus would be a better satanic candidate as it is at least horned!

Silvanusaurus

To be fair, it does have an evil dragon look to it. Thats why I don't care for it myself. I was quite happy to carve that face up like there was no tomorrow when I converted it into a Megalosaurus.

CityRaptor

Well, that is a very mammalian view of things.
Oh no

tanystropheus

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 09, 2017, 02:43:17 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 08, 2017, 09:33:58 PM
Quote from: Derek.McManus on March 08, 2017, 04:50:08 PM

...Brett is satanic..

>:D

Brett Booth's illustrations are disturbing but with a difference you have to keep in mind that the comic book characters you illustrate are fictitious while the dinosaurs some disturbing and worthy of horror films among other creatures existed.

Without a doubt if there is a hell the birds of hell would be the pterodáctylos and the aquarium of hell is served with the marine creatures that existed and to this it is necessary to include the dinosaurs. Regardless, for me, the ugly is beautiful.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: