News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO new for 2017

Started by acro-man, January 10, 2017, 07:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I would rather have a giant vinyl Nyctosaurus than a "luxury" one ala this Tyrannosaurus set. It could easily be 1:3-1:2 scale to fit alongside the CollectA supreme pterosaurs if it was as large as the PNSO Sauropods.

tanystropheus

T-rex doesn't look bad. It seem over textured without being over textured, if that even makes sense. Very wrinkly. Like a very strange cross between Battat and REBOR.

Excited about all the dinosaur choices. I can't wait for the Mosasaurus, especially after owning the impressive Basilosaurus.

Very much looking forward to a definitive Amargasaurus. The CollectA version came close but looks a bit off to me.

I have the mini Nyctosaurus and I will get the Sr. Nycto, as well.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 17, 2017, 04:42:27 PM
I would rather have a giant vinyl Nyctosaurus than a "luxury" one ala this Tyrannosaurus set. It could easily be 1:3-1:2 scale to fit alongside the CollectA supreme pterosaurs if it was as large as the PNSO Sauropods.

Or a set of multiple Nyctos in various poses.

I wonder if they are going with the head sail/kite interpretation for this one...

Halichoeres

Thanks for that info, acro-man! I hope that figures in this sub-line are eventually released without the add-ons.

The species choices suggest to me that they are not going to keep to a 1:35 scale. The Nyctosaurus would have to be about 1/3 the size of their miniature one for that to be true, and I can only see that happening if they're an accessory to a very large Mosasaurus figure. A Nyctosaurus the size of this Tyrannosaurus would probably be more like 1:5.

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 17, 2017, 05:49:31 PM

Or a set of multiple Nyctos in various poses.

I wonder if they are going with the head sail/kite interpretation for this one...

A little flock would be super cool. All the art I've seen from Zhao Chuang seems to restore Nyctosaurus with a sail, so that's where my money is.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Takama

Blade-of-the-Moon

I would be in!

Loon

While I'm more a feathered Dino primate, I do enjoy a well done featherless dinosaur, accurate or not. However, something about the skin is off to me, it's too wrinkly. It maybe just me, but I would presume a scaly rex would be more smooth.

Simon

Quote from: Loon on January 24, 2017, 06:47:14 AM
While I'm more a feathered Dino primate, I do enjoy a well done featherless dinosaur, accurate or not. However, something about the skin is off to me, it's too wrinkly. It maybe just me, but I would presume a scaly rex would be more smooth.

Clever, but you forget that feathers ARE scales (well, OK scales that have EVOLVED).

So the featherless chicken above is basically a dinosaur with its scales REMOVED.

Therefore a theropod whose scales were still - scales - would probably not resemble the featherless chicken in terms of its surface texture.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Simon on January 25, 2017, 05:35:00 AM
Quote from: Loon on January 24, 2017, 06:47:14 AM

Clever, but you forget that feathers ARE scales (well, OK scales that have EVOLVED).

So the featherless chicken above is basically a dinosaur with its scales REMOVED.

Therefore a theropod whose scales were still - scales - would probably not resemble the featherless chicken in terms of its surface texture.
But, a featherless Tyrannosaurus also wouldn't have scales, especially not reptilian scales. It would have bare skin as that chicken does, or maybe scales like those on birds.

Flaffy

Scaly (non-feathered) rex, by the amazing RJ Palmer.

I'd imagine a scaly rex looking like this.

Loon

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on January 25, 2017, 05:53:21 AM
Scaly (non-feathered) rex, by the amazing RJ Palmer.

I'd imagine a scaly rex looking like this.
Yeah, that's what I'm imagining, if the tyrant didn't have feathers, it would probably be more like that image. This figures scales just seem off; but, as a fan of the progression of science, I would be happy if more information about tyrannosaur skin covering would be released. Ultimately, it's not asthetics, it's the accuracy that matters.

Flaffy

I've decided not to purchase this model set. Due to it's high price, gnarly appearance, lack of feathers and exposed teeth. Generally not my cup of tea. We'll see how this 'luxury' line goes.
Oh also, here's the link to the 'luxury' T-rex on TaoBao.
Original price: 999 yuan, Discounted price: 299 yuan
https://world.taobao.com/item/544389216424.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-13827208240.40.VKuvgG
I'll save my money on some articulated horned friends coming this summer.

terrorchicken

that t-rex looks really odd to me, I guess  I must be getting really used to seeing feathers on t-rex now. Is that by the same artist who painted the brown feathered t-rex art?

somebody please put a sweater on that chicken, poor thing.  :'(

Loon

Quote from: terrorchicken on January 25, 2017, 06:22:24 PM
that t-rex looks really odd to me, I guess  I must be getting really used to seeing feathers on t-rex now. Is that by the same artist who painted the brown feathered t-rex art?

somebody please put a sweater on that chicken, poor thing.  :'(
Yeah, RJ Palmer did that are for some children's book where the publisher asked for the rex to be featherless. He also did a lot of work on the game, Saurian (which the feathered rex you refer to is from), and his art is featured on the Wikipedia page for tyrannosaurus.

Simon

Words fail me.  So I'll let a couple of quick photos of my just-opened PNSO TRex speak for themselves.  *Speechless* *STUNNING*

spinosaurus1

okay, i'll admit it. that looks pretty dope.

how long is the big guy?

Simon

sauroid

that is beautiful. is it hollow?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Simon

*SOLID* SOLID PVC PLASTIC.  HEAVY AS HECK!!!

It stands on its own, or fits perfectly on the pegs on the stand.  PERFECTLY.

spinosaurus1

do you mind if you can make some comparison shots with your other figures. i just might have to reconsider my initial thoughts on this tyrannosaurus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: