News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO new for 2017

Started by acro-man, January 10, 2017, 07:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

My "Wilson" T. rex arrived yesterday, which was a quick transit.  Yes, it was expensive.  It was fortunate that I had a 20% discount, as the UK customs charge was approaching £35.  Still, like Simon, I'm completely satisfied with my purchase.   Everything about the model and its presentation sings luxury line.  Even the box is a work of art.  The white cardboard is high quality, much stiffer than the box my PNSO Triceratops and Chungkingosaurus arrived in.  It was shrinkwrapped too, which should help avoid damage to the corners while in transit.  It looks extremely elegant, with simply an almost 1:1 image of "Wilson" adorning the top.  (Though I rather like the "animal in landscape" images on the other two boxes!)  The sides and bottom have dull gold Chinese lettering, again looking super elegant (just a shame I can't read it!)  But it does carry "Tyrannosaurus Wilson" along one side, and "PNSO" at the ends.  The dull gold isn't bling but very restrained, and it neatly picks up the colours of the depiction of Wilson on the top.

For a second or two I was baffled by a little piece of white paper hanging out from each long side – then I realised it was there thoughtfully to assist me in removing the lid.  Inside, the box is filled with polystyrene, which frames the book in Chinese. As in Simon's case, my 75-page English book was packaged outside the box.  Sadly this resulted in a bit of creasing of the corner, but I'm giving it a good press beneath a heavy book to improve this.  It's a handsome book, beautifully printed on thick paper, and I'm planning to read it this evening.  The Chinese book was of course better protected and is in perfect condition.

The postcards and letter (if only I could read it!) are inserted into an envelope – again, high-quality paper, silver on the outside, white within.  The artwork is excellent and a nice addition.

The model was carefully protected by the ample polystyrene, which is neatly cut out to exactly the right shape for model and base.  Additionally, the model's feet were set into a plastic frame.  Tissue added further protection to the paintwork on Wilson's body.   Then cut-out sections of polystyrene filled in the gaps above body and base.

The model itself is absolutely everything I could have wished.  It took only a few seconds to slot the holes in his feet onto the pegs in his base.  He stands very securely.  The paint job is careful and very detailed, even down to the teeth.  His jaw moves easily and stays put.  (I'm not a huge fan of moveable jaws, so probably won't repeat my wiggling after my initial check!)  The texture is superb in artistic terms.  (I'm not entering into any discussion of the correct texture and integument for T. rexes, only assessing how the factory has carried out this particular version.)  I also love how the model is matt, without a hint of shine.  This is an important consideration for me.

If I were to suggest the models in my collection that exhibit a similar level of care and detail, I'd have to go for the Sideshow Styracosaurus (though that's quite shiny) and my Trcic Running Triceratops (which cost roughly the same as "Wilson").  "Wilson" is of course smaller than either of these – no bad thing, as space is always an issue.  But I think his paint application is more detailed than on either of the other two.  His base is quite reminiscent of the Sideshow base, just on a smaller scale.

PNSO have really raised their game with this new line.  I hope they will be bringing out others to follow "Wilson" – and preferably some herbivores.  I would love to see them produce a stegosaur with this level of detail.  Wilson seems to stand as a half-way house between their original large models like Chungkingosaurus and their limited edition, eye-poppingly expensive models like Mamenchisaurus.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Neven Florian on February 01, 2017, 06:30:49 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 01, 2017, 05:25:53 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on February 01, 2017, 04:54:07 AM
Quote from: Neven Florian on January 31, 2017, 09:12:02 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on January 31, 2017, 03:13:12 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 30, 2017, 05:21:18 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on January 30, 2017, 10:36:10 AM
I know it's wrong, but that video kind of sold me on their first large Tyrannosaurus. There's something in the sheer strangeness of it that gets me.

I really like the strange and retro look of the PNSO "big" Tyrannosaurus too..  ;)

Robin, your stunning photograph has confirmed my need to acquire this odd duck of a figure, thank you!  :))

Is this tyrannosaurus a repainted one or a new version of the 2016 one ?  :)

Good point. The colors look quite vibrant in this photo (compared to all other photos of the model). Is this picture digitally enhanced? repainted model?

No, it's a regular figure.
I bought it on Amazon on December and I received it in January.
No enhancing, just my usual still-life setup with my light-box...
I don't know if PNSO upgraded the paint job but my Rex looks like that...

So did you buy the brown version ? It means you received a special colour ? I hope PNSO will make a new sale with this special colour, it would be great ! :)

I just ordered the PNSO Rex on Amazon Uk.
I didn't request any special color or special edition at all.
As I told, it was a regular order.
More pictures on my Flickr Album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157667322973960

Probably PNSO did an upgrade about the paint job.... I really don't know exactly....

Halichoeres

Simon and ceratopsian, you guys might have convinced me to take the plunge on this bad boy.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 02, 2017, 05:11:08 PM
Simon and ceratopsian, you guys might have convinced me to take the plunge on this bad boy.

It's always nice to persuade others to part with their cash!  Seriously though, I was deeply impressed.  Provided you are happy with this particular take on T. rex, I think the model is flawless.

Simon

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 02, 2017, 05:55:50 PM

It's always nice to persuade others to part with their cash!  Seriously though, I was deeply impressed.  Provided you are happy with this particular take on T. rex, I think the model is flawless.

I'll go a step further and say that if you had to get just one medium size (1:50-1:30 scale) TRex model, this would be the one. 

Like Mary Poppins, its "practically perfect in every way."   ;) ;) ;)

Neven Florian

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 02, 2017, 04:59:09 PM
Quote from: Neven Florian on February 01, 2017, 06:30:49 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 01, 2017, 05:25:53 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on February 01, 2017, 04:54:07 AM
Quote from: Neven Florian on January 31, 2017, 09:12:02 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on January 31, 2017, 03:13:12 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 30, 2017, 05:21:18 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on January 30, 2017, 10:36:10 AM
I know it's wrong, but that video kind of sold me on their first large Tyrannosaurus. There's something in the sheer strangeness of it that gets me.

I really like the strange and retro look of the PNSO "big" Tyrannosaurus too..  ;)

Robin, your stunning photograph has confirmed my need to acquire this odd duck of a figure, thank you!  :))

Is this tyrannosaurus a repainted one or a new version of the 2016 one ?  :)

Good point. The colors look quite vibrant in this photo (compared to all other photos of the model). Is this picture digitally enhanced? repainted model?

No, it's a regular figure.
I bought it on Amazon on December and I received it in January.
No enhancing, just my usual still-life setup with my light-box...
I don't know if PNSO upgraded the paint job but my Rex looks like that...

So did you buy the brown version ? It means you received a special colour ? I hope PNSO will make a new sale with this special colour, it would be great ! :)

Probably PNSO did an upgrade about the paint job.... I really don't know exactly....
Oh ok :) Thank you

spinosaurus1

welp, i went ahead and ordered mine from ebay. should be here somewhere between Feb 14- Feb 22.

Georassic

Likewise.

Jetdin

anyone have any comparison pics of the safari ltd 2017 giganotosaurus with the wilson pnso t rex?

also is the pnso wilson t rex a solid piece, or hollow like its pnso cousins?

sauroid

Quote from: Jetdin on February 04, 2017, 05:44:05 AM
anyone have any comparison pics of the safari ltd 2017 giganotosaurus with the wilson pnso t rex?

it's solid and heavy, according to those who already own it
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Takama

I now know why they named this Dinosaur Wilson.

Its the same way they named ALL of there little minis

Jetdin

Quote from: sauroid on February 04, 2017, 05:54:32 AM
Quote from: Jetdin on February 04, 2017, 05:44:05 AM

it's solid and heavy, according to those who already own it

wow good to know! for me solid and heavy figures exude quality! :-D

gnetum2015

Yeah, my Wilson arrived last week , much earlier than Ebay told.
I bought him from Monsterhouse - here a big Thanks to them for this very fast shipping!

Wilson is the missing link I searched for over years. Short Arms, feet much smaller than the Papo Rex, great teeth, it is very awesome for me.
For me it looks ten times better than the Rebor and 100 times better than the Papo.
I am very happy and very thankful to PSNO that they produced such a thing nowadays, other companies only produce feathered Rexes.

For me, the best T rRex Ssculpt  is the Sideshow Tyrant King - but much to expensive for my money-box and maybe a bit to big for my rooms. I wished a Rex who would be smaller and looks in the same way - so PNSO`s Wilson is the thing I was searching for.

And yes, like you told in this treat before, it dwarfs the Safari Giganotosaurus. But Wilson looks great  together with the Papo Allosaurus. Now I am waiting for the Papo Acrocanthosaurus, I hope it fits as well with Wilson.

Now I am looking for a really good feathered T Rex modell. Collecta´s isn`t my thing - he looks somewaht cartoonisch, like the Punch of my childhood with his red cap - and his base wasn´t straigt, his jaw didn´t fit into each other, and his tail was to long for me - so I gave him back to the seller.
Safaris feathered Rex is a great looking animal - but for me the feathers looks to much as a toy - so maybe this would be a new challenge for the companies. We will see what the future will bring...

Dobber

So it is well into Feb 4 in both China and the U.K. and still no listings on Amazon.co.uk.  >:(

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Silvanusaurus

It seems like each time I decide I'm ready to finally purchase one of their figures, it just happens to be at a time when they aren't on Amazon UK any more, and then by the time they are back, I've spent the money I had saved up for them.  :(

Dobber

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 04, 2017, 12:55:43 PM
It seems like each time I decide I'm ready to finally purchase one of their figures, it just happens to be at a time when they aren't on Amazon UK any more, and then by the time they are back, I've spent the money I had saved up for them.  :(

Ditto, that's why I'm disappointed that it isn't back on Amazon when they said it would be.  :-[

Chris

gnetum2015

Yeah, my Wilson arrived last week , much earlier than Ebay told.
I bought him from Monsterhouse - here a big Thanks to them for this very fast shipping!

Wilson is the missing link I searched for over years. Short Arms, feet much smaller than the Papo Rex, great teeth, it is very awesome for me.
For me it looks ten times better than the Rebor and 100 times better than the Papo.
I am very happy and very thankful to PSNO that they produced such a thing nowadays, other companies only produce feathered Rexes.

For me, the best T Rex Sculpt  is the Sideshow Tyrant King - but much to expensive for my money-box and maybe a bit to big for my rooms. I wished a Rex who would be smaller and looks in the same way - so PNSO`s Wilson is the thing I was searching for.

And yes, like you told in this treat before, it dwarfs the Safari Giganotosaurus. But Wilson looks great  together with the Papo Allosaurus. Now I am waiting for the Papo Acrocanthosaurus, I hope it fits as well with Wilson.

Now I am looking for a really good feathered T Rex modell. Collecta´s isn`t my thing - he looks somewaht cartoonisch, like the Punch of my childhood with his red cap - and his base wasn´t straigt, his jaw didn´t fit into each other, and his tail was to long for me - so I gave him back to the seller.
Safaris feathered Rex is a great looking animal - but for me the feathers looks to much as a toy - so maybe this would be a new challenge for the companies. We will see what the future will bring...

acro-man

The book is stunning.
I wasn't very fond of the book before but when I read it, I knew I was wrong.
Lots of T-rex knowledge - the functions of the teeth, the feather and scale, the muscles, the lips, the environment - all come into consideration on how Wilson is made.
It's a science book.
And remember PNSO is a scientific art group.
Zhao Chuang says in his documentary that "to make it scientifically accurate is one thing, to make it aesthetically pleasing is another. And we are trying to combine both."
I think they have made it.
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

acro-man

I asked PNSO Taobao salesperson and he said they don't have any repaint.
Did you get it from their official store?
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Dobber

Quote from: acro-man on February 06, 2017, 10:39:09 AM

I asked PNSO Taobao salesperson and he said they don't have any repaint.
Did you get it from their official store?
On their Facebook page someone asked about that piece, if it is a new paint scheme for it. They responded that they believe it is a repaint by a fan and that they do not sell one that looks like that.

Chris

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: