News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO new for 2017

Started by acro-man, January 10, 2017, 07:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Quote from: sauroid on April 25, 2017, 08:35:41 AM
it looks like a Tuojiangosaurus

That would be my guess too, but as my knowledge of stegosaurs is not extensive it might be a more obscure species. I'm still ogling that mosasaur in the background.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 25, 2017, 09:16:01 AM
I'm still ogling that mosasaur in the background.

Me too.  ;)
Mainly because it's leaning over the same stand used by PNSO Basilosaurus and Megalodon so (maybe) that Mosasaur could be a prototype for a new commercial figure (I hope  ::) ).
:)

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 25, 2017, 05:56:22 AM
Quote from: Sim on April 23, 2017, 01:12:33 PM
It's too bad they seem to have put a white dot in the Amargasaurus's eyes, like they did for the Mandschurosaurus.  It seems to me this doesn't really fit with making a replica that's supposed to look realistic.

I wonder if they were going for a night vision look (e.g REBOR Deinonychus clan)

I don't think so.  On the Amargasaurus the white dot isn't in the middle of the eye which is where it ought to be if it were caused by a tapetum lucidum, since the eyeshine occurs through the pupil, and in dinosaurs the pupil is kept in the center of the eye by the sclerotic ring.  On the Mandschurosaurus, some of the pupil is visible behind the white dot, whereas if it were eyeshine from the tapetum lucidum my understanding is the whole pupil would appear to glow.

I think the white dot is just to give the effect of light reflecting off the eye (not using the tapetum lucidum).  I agree with stargatedalek that this effect looks much better when it's achieved with gloss, since then it actually looks realistic as opposed to an unmoving white dot.

Tylosaurus

Has PNSO ever attempted to do an Acrocanthosaurus yet?
That would be quite the thing to see from the experience and skills PSNO has 8)

Shonisaurus

If you make an acrocanthosaurus PNSO it will be the most of reproductions of dinosaurs collecting. It would be by far the best acrocanthosaurus done to date. Too bad it is not commercialized in the rest of the world nor sold in any online store in Europe or America. That for me is quite frustrating. Anyway it is an investment to buy the expensive figures of PNSO for its quality and for the well finished from the scientific point of view. For me, PNSO is a dream come true.

BlueKrono

Are there any PNSOs so far that have been bad or inaccurate?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Sim

I think that stegosaur in the foreground is the same sculpt as the very expensive limited edition Huayangosaurus (shown below).

Its back plate arrangement doesn't look like that of Tuojiangosaurus.

Huayangosaurus:

stargatedalek

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 25, 2017, 05:29:43 PM
I'm a stickler, so for me I found most of the theropods thus far have been a bit shrink-wrapped. IIRC the Shunosaurus also had some issues with leg proportions?

PNSO is very good at making any inaccuracies play to the overall aesthetic appeal.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Sim on April 25, 2017, 05:38:07 PM
I think that stegosaur in the foreground is the same sculpt as the very expensive limited edition Huayangosaurus (shown below).

Huayangosaurus:

Huayangosaurus had a row of huge tubercles or osteoderms on its side. It also had a tiny club at the end of its tail. The stegosaur might be a Miragaia.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on April 25, 2017, 06:04:56 PM

Huayangosaurus:

Huayangosaurus had a row of huge tubercles or osteoderms on its side. It also had a tiny club at the end of its tail. The stegosaur might be a Miragaia.
Sorry. I didn't look at the picture close enough. It probably is a Huayangosaurus.

ceratopsian

Yes, I think you are right.  The outlines/posture of the limited edition and this blurry one match up very well.  I thought the limited editions were 1:10 - but I don't remember seeing actual measurements for them.

spinosaurus1

some do have their share of issues, though very few and sparse. others can be written off as speculation. imo, the sauropods suffer the worst of it. but even with that taken into account, i wouldn't call them bad. their paint apps and detail are so well done and pleasing to the eye that even the most inaccurate of figures had a sort of vintage look that is pleasing to the eye.

Sim

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on April 25, 2017, 06:06:32 PM
Sorry. I didn't look at the picture close enough. It probably is a Huayangosaurus.

The stegosaur model you quoted is the PNSO limited edition Huayangosaurus, as I said in my post.  It was released in 2016: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4982.0

Patrx

Plenty of shrinkwrapping, especially on the sauropods. Also, "Wilson" is totally featherless. The Triceratops' hands are a little small, too.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Patrx on April 25, 2017, 06:40:49 PM

Plenty of shrinkwrapping, especially on the sauropods. Also, "Wilson" is totally featherless. The Triceratops' hands are a little small, too.
Also, the part about the sauropods that really bothers me, the feet are inaccurate.The mini Majungasaurus has inaccurate arms and hands as well. PNSO is an incredible company, but it's far from flawless.

Simon

Not all PNSO critters are equal in terms of accuracy.  But the striving for accuracy (which is obvious) is the wonderful thing about PNSO. 

The fact that PNSO itself is a scientific enterprise is what's doubly exciting. I have no doubt that the accuracy will be more consistent as they have shown every sign of listening and incorporating suggestions into their work.  They also have a world-class dinosaur sculptor in Zhao, which puts them leagues ahead of some of their competitors.

I hope that they concentrate on the 1/35 line, with an occasional larger hollow vinyl model (like the Triceratops and EPIC Chunkingosaurus).

I've got space set aside on my 6-foot wide and 30-inch deep desk for the Amargasaurus, Spinosaurus and smaller Triceratops.  Huyenghititan gives me a perfectly sized 1/35 Titanosaur to go along with "Wilson" at the moment.

Sim

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on April 25, 2017, 09:52:23 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on April 25, 2017, 09:16:01 AM
I'm still ogling that mosasaur in the background.

Me too.  ;)
Mainly because it's leaning over the same stand used by PNSO Basilosaurus and Megalodon so (maybe) that Mosasaur could be a prototype for a new commercial figure (I hope  ::) ).
:)

To me that model seems to be the same sculpt as the upcoming mosasaur figure, with just the base being a bit different, and its articulated jaw being closed:

This sculpt seems to be the same as the Mosasaurus figure seen in this PNSO exhibition: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4805.0

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Simon on April 25, 2017, 07:21:43 PM
Not all PNSO critters are equal in terms of accuracy.  But the striving for accuracy (which is obvious) is the wonderful thing about PNSO. 

The fact that PNSO itself is a scientific enterprise is what's doubly exciting. I have no doubt that the accuracy will be more consistent as they have shown every sign of listening and incorporating suggestions into their work.  They also have a world-class dinosaur sculptor in Zhao, which puts them leagues ahead of some of their competitors.

I hope that they concentrate on the 1/35 line, with an occasional larger hollow vinyl model (like the Triceratops and EPIC Chunkingosaurus).

I've got space set aside on my 6-foot wide and 30-inch deep desk for the Amargasaurus, Spinosaurus and smaller Triceratops.  Huyenghititan gives me a perfectly sized 1/35 Titanosaur to go along with "Wilson" at the moment.
PNSO has to be one of my favorite companies.

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 25, 2017, 05:50:18 PM
I'm a stickler, so for me I found most of the theropods thus far have been a bit shrink-wrapped. IIRC the Shunosaurus also had some issues with leg proportions?

PNSO is very good at making any inaccuracies play to the overall aesthetic appeal.

PNSO hasn't made a Shunosaurus...

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on April 25, 2017, 06:32:30 PM
some do have their share of issues, though very few and sparse. others can be written off as speculation. imo, the sauropods suffer the worst of it. but even with that taken into account, i wouldn't call them bad. their paint apps and detail are so well done and pleasing to the eye that even the most inaccurate of figures had a sort of vintage look that is pleasing to the eye.
Quote from: Patrx on April 25, 2017, 06:40:49 PM

It seems "sauropods" should be "sauropodomorphs" so it includes the PNSO Lufengosaurus, which is extremely shrink-wrapped, is in an unlikely quadrupedal posture, and has pronated hands. :))

tanystropheus

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on April 25, 2017, 06:06:32 PM

Huayangosaurus:

The limited edition Huayangosaurus has some visually striking plates and spikes (all of them, removable). I would imagine that PNSO would release a more mass-market friendly version sans removable, translucent spikes and plates.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: