News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS

Started by dragon53, January 30, 2017, 04:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Quote from: Gwangi on July 23, 2018, 06:48:51 PM
I actually didn't mind the actors chosen, and their characters, for Jackson's KK. They weren't what you would expect but they subverted expectations and made for interesting characters. The movie itself acknowledges that Adrien Brody isn't the typical hero type. Bruce Baxter was the "John Wayne" for the movie Denham was making.

"Casting against type" sometimes works.  Brodie had won an Oscar a few years earlier, so he was "hot", so I can see the reasoning there.

Jack Black though ... was a mismatch in a serious role ...

Syndicate Bias

He wasn't bad at it. He didn't exactly give off a goofy vibe honestly. He did just find imo. Maybe I need to rewatch it but Jack Black didn't give me the same.goofy vibe about him

BlueKrono

I've got to throw in my hat for Peter Jackson's Skull Island. It had exactly what I want from a monster movie: tons and tons of cool critters. The new KK was decidedly lacking in ecological diversity by comparison. I have to agree with Simon - Jack Black was a terrible choice for Denham, making stupid fart jokes... ugh. Good to see Bruce Baxter making another appearance with the G-man though!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Gwangi on July 22, 2018, 08:48:20 PM
I'm not sure why there is such a bias against Kong around here. I guess it's because he's a mammal? ::) Either way, the original "King Kong" is a film classic and a technological achievement the same way "Jurassic Park" was, for its time. Forget Kong himself if you don't like him, the movie still remains one of the best dinosaur movies ever made. Willis O'Brien's stop motion dinosaurs were the best put to film until 1966 with One Million Years B.C. I was disappointed that "Skull Island" didn't have dinosaurs but it made up for it with other unique creatures. I liked it well enough that I don't mind his impending fight with Godzilla, it should be good fun.
I don't have a bias against Kong so much as I'm irritated that the last movie that Legendary has the license to make is going to be a knock down slug-fest between Kong and Godzilla.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Gwangi

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 23, 2018, 11:58:47 PM
I'm not sure why there is such a bias against Kong around here. I guess it's because he's a mammal? ::) Either way, the original "King Kong" is a film classic and a technological achievement the same way "Jurassic Park" was, for its time. Forget Kong himself if you don't like him, the movie still remains one of the best dinosaur movies ever made. Willis O'Brien's stop motion dinosaurs were the best put to film until 1966 with One Million Years B.C. I was disappointed that "Skull Island" didn't have dinosaurs but it made up for it with other unique creatures. I liked it well enough that I don't mind his impending fight with Godzilla, it should be good fun.
I don't have a bias against Kong so much as I'm irritated that the last movie that Legendary has the license to make is going to be a knock down slug-fest between Kong and Godzilla.

These are two of the most popular giant monsters in pop culture. I'm curious as to what you would have preferred?

suspsy

You need to look at it from a studio's perspective. Godzilla and Kong are by far the most popular, most recognizable, and most bankable kaiju. It makes perfect sense to put them together in a film. And since they're kaiju and not theoreticians or interior designers or dinosaur toy collectors, the form of conflict which makes the most sense for them is a fight.

Now, it's always possible that this will turn out to be a major bust, just like Batman vs Superman. Gods, did that ever suck. But it's also possible that it will turn out great, just like Captain America: Civil War. That film rocked.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Gwangi on July 24, 2018, 12:08:49 AM

These are two of the most popular giant monsters in pop culture. I'm curious as to what you would have preferred?
Something without Kong since they were never meant to be part of the same universe?  Unless you count the original, which I wouldn't.  Honestly, if Godzilla were to fight another kaiju that's not meant to be from his universe, why a giant ape?  I don't see that as a kaiju, I see it as an oversized form of a real life animal...without the benefit of atomic breath, so I don't see how Kong ever stands a chance.  The radiation alone should destroy Kong.  If I were going to pick a fight to be the last Godzilla movie, it would be Mechagodzilla.  But if I absolutely had to do a crossover?  Why not Gamera?

And suspsy, we'll have to agree to disagree on BvS, but hey, I've long since given up trying to change peoples' minds about films/shows I like.  Unlike some, you don't seem like the type of person to call me an idiot for liking BvS, Justice League, The Last Jedi, or Star Trek Discovery, just to name a few of the more...fandom splitting installments in recent memory.

suspsy

Well, I'm really not up for getting into a lengthy debate over all the reasons why I detested BvS, or all the reasons why you or other people enjoyed it. I will note, however, that I adored The Last Jedi.

Personally, I don't believe that Kong has any real chance of defeating Godzilla either. At best, he'll be able to prolong his inevitable death. No king can hope to ever best a god. Hence why I'm convinced that they won't be battling to the death.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 24, 2018, 02:24:02 AM
you don't seem like the type of person to call me an idiot for liking BvS, Justice League, The Last Jedi, or Star Trek Discovery, just to name a few of the more...fandom splitting installments in recent memory.

I also enjoyed The Last Jedi and hey, I liked Fallen Kingdom too. We all have our preferences and guilty pleasures. I would consider most Godzilla movies to be guilty pleasures.

Gamera would be an interesting choice, but Gamera doesn't sell tickets. I'm not sure how they'll manage a KK vs. Godzilla fight but I suspect they'll be teaming up at some point.

laticauda

Godzilla over King Kong any day of the week.  I grew up on watching the Showa period.  Campy but enjoyable.  I have no problem with a giant ape against other monsters.  When the monster movies started being made they were based on legends and loose adaptations of prehistoric creatures.  Kong just tends to bleed more than the rouge gallery of Godzilla's. 

I am not trying to pick a fight but I just want to add that some movies do stink!  There are some movies that I enjoy that many people would say is a bad movie.  (example: Congo.  Yes its true.)  I am not mad if other people do not like them or make fun of them because I agree they are bad.   I acknowledge that it is a mater of taste and people will have different opinions. I am glad some people enjoyed Batman vs Superman.  My kids liked it and so did my wife.  To me it was a steaming pile of....you know.  The same with Last Jedi.  It was ok but the story was laughable to me. Does that make me wrong or right?  It all depends on what you want to get out of a movie.

I grew up not just on classic 80's and 90's movies from my childhood, but I used to watch everything.  My parents introduced me to films from the silent era all the way to the present.  I remember watching the old Flash Gordon serials with my dad.  The animation is laughable but it was fun to watch.  Point is, if you buy into the story the special effects do not matter as much.  The original King Kong is great, it is a classic adventure movie.  The 2005 PJ one in most ways is not as good.  The exception is the chemistry between Ann Darrow and Kong are amazing.  I even enjoy Jack Black to a degree, but the movie is too bloated (much like the Hobbit trilogy).  I have stated before that the over reliance on special effects in the current era hurts the stories in these films.  Again this is my opinion.

What I want to see is a enjoyable movie that is more like Kong Skull Island, and less like 2005 King Kong.  More 1954 Godzilla than 1962 Godzilla vs Kong. 

Shadowknight1

Quote from: suspsy on July 24, 2018, 02:45:26 AM
Well, I'm really not up for getting into a lengthy debate over all the reasons why I detested BvS, or all the reasons why you or other people enjoyed it. I will note, however, that I adored The Last Jedi.

Personally, I don't believe that Kong has any real chance of defeating Godzilla either. At best, he'll be able to prolong his inevitable death. No king can hope to ever best a god. Hence why I'm convinced that they won't be battling to the death.
Film is subjective.  :)  I know people that enjoyed Me, Myself, and Irene for instance and I walked out of the room partway through that movie.  Couldn't stand it, and I usually love Jim Carrey.  So yeah, lengthy debates tire me out as well, at least when it comes to whether a certain film is good or not.  For me, I look at the main factor, which is, "Did I enjoy what I watched?"  A lot of times, the answer is yes.  Though, sometimes the answer is "Yes, but I won't watch it again."  Or at least often.  For example, I may rewatch some of the DC Films before going to see Aquaman, but I'm skipping Suicide Squad.  For me, that was the dud out of the recent DC Films, not BvS or JL.  Fun fact, I loved Jurassic World in theaters, but I haven't watched it on Blu-Ray.  Likely because, for me, the best scene was the end.  Fallen Kingdom...I probably will watch on Blu-Ray when it comes out.

And to bring it around to topic, I haven't watched Godzilla 2014 in a while.  I plan on watching it again though.  I also kinda wonder if Shin Godzilla and the Godzilla series on netflix are worth watching.

Syndicate Bias

Well idk if anyone here saw the godzilla movies from japan. BUT there is already a king Kong vs Godzilla. Its an old movie, very old but this 2020 movie may be inspired by it. Of course in that movie Kong wins but its kinda meh because he wins because Godzilla is afraid of lightning or electricity and yet it makes kong stronger. So that's how the movie goes essentially. That godzilla is a threat and the humans capture kong to bring him to civilisation to fight Godzilla

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: laticauda on July 24, 2018, 03:34:25 AM
Godzilla over King Kong any day of the week.  I grew up on watching the Showa period.  Campy but enjoyable.  I have no problem with a giant ape against other monsters.  When the monster movies started being made they were based on legends and loose adaptations of prehistoric creatures.  Kong just tends to bleed more than the rouge gallery of Godzilla's. 

I am not trying to pick a fight but I just want to add that some movies do stink!  There are some movies that I enjoy that many people would say is a bad movie.  (example: Congo.  Yes its true.)  I am not mad if other people do not like them or make fun of them because I agree they are bad.   I acknowledge that it is a mater of taste and people will have different opinions. I am glad some people enjoyed Batman vs Superman.  My kids liked it and so did my wife.  To me it was a steaming pile of....you know.  The same with Last Jedi.  It was ok but the story was laughable to me. Does that make me wrong or right?  It all depends on what you want to get out of a movie.

I grew up not just on classic 80's and 90's movies from my childhood, but I used to watch everything.  My parents introduced me to films from the silent era all the way to the present.  I remember watching the old Flash Gordon serials with my dad.  The animation is laughable but it was fun to watch.  Point is, if you buy into the story the special effects do not matter as much.  The original King Kong is great, it is a classic adventure movie.  The 2005 PJ one in most ways is not as good.  The exception is the chemistry between Ann Darrow and Kong are amazing.  I even enjoy Jack Black to a degree, but the movie is too bloated (much like the Hobbit trilogy).  I have stated before that the over reliance on special effects in the current era hurts the stories in these films.  Again this is my opinion.

What I want to see is a enjoyable movie that is more like Kong Skull Island, and less like 2005 King Kong.  More 1954 Godzilla than 1962 Godzilla vs Kong.

Ah i see someone else saw.the shows series and king kong vs godzilla, i watched heisei as well as millennium series. Sad that the millennium was rather short compared to the showa and heisei series

dragon53

New poster released for the sequel: Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

Syndicate Bias

Glad they stuck to how big King Ghidorah is supposed to be next to Godzilla. I didn't care for 2014 But this is actually turning out to be a must see

CityRaptor

Didn't expect different. The only time Ghidorah was smaller was when he was a good guy in GMK. You know, a case of "Evil is bigger"

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on July 24, 2018, 04:55:36 AM
Well idk if anyone here saw the godzilla movies from japan. BUT there is already a king Kong vs Godzilla. Its an old movie, very old but this 2020 movie may be inspired by it. Of course in that movie Kong wins but its kinda meh because he wins because Godzilla is afraid of lightning or electricity and yet it makes kong stronger. So that's how the movie goes essentially. That godzilla is a threat and the humans capture kong to bring him to civilisation to fight Godzilla

I've seen them all. It's obviously inspired by the old one. But "GODZILLA: KING OF  THE MONSTERS" is inspired, too. Namely by "Ghidrah, the three-headed Monster", where Godzilla teams up with Mothra and Rodan to face Ghidorah.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ITdactyl

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 23, 2018, 03:10:44 PM
Really? I liked the Mecha Godzilla reference, Mothra and Ghidorah tease...  It had more interest for me than the first one where like the movies it usually takes forever to get into any fighting.  I found the story arc much more to my liking than before.

Hey avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon ,  I agree that the 2nd movie has a more interesting story.
I was childishly disappointed that mecha godzilla was teased at the end of the first, only to be a plot device in this second arc.  I'm also getting tired of the "very angry protagonist" trope.

On a side note, I liked the vulture mechs and despite some people being very vocal about their hate for this anime design, I like this rock faced - "moving mountain" version of King G.

Back on topic, I am really excited to see the modern (and western?) take on 3 kaijus taking on the big baddie - without the cheese.  Then again, maybe Ghidorah will just go through Mothra and Rodan (not necessarily in order) to prove (re: show the audience) how insanely powerful it is before facing King G in the finale.

As for Kong Vs G-man, I'm curious what plot device will be used to have Kong - who doesn't seem to have any way off Skull Island - suddenly face a very mobile Godzilla.

Blade-of-the-Moon

yeah they mentioned remaking mecha g then the aliens were like, oh we're way  beyond that.   

if i saw our "hero" scream to the sky one more time...ugh  i'm already bored with him, but there havent been many godzilla films i cared about the people much.

I'm ok with design like it more than the version Toho did last.

if it was an almost direct lift of G: TTHM  I'd be ok with it.   Ghidorah himself looks like a  3 headed Smaug so far.   I still expect Kong and Godzilla to team up at the end of their film.

Fembrogon

Quote from: suspsy on July 24, 2018, 12:32:48 AM
You need to look at it from a studio's perspective. Godzilla and Kong are by far the most popular, most recognizable, and most bankable kaiju. It makes perfect sense to put them together in a film.
...And a big part of both monsters' fame and legend is that they have fought before; in fact, King Kong vs. Godzilla 1962 probably set the standard for all giant monster "vs" films to come, and probably had a big impact on the monster genre in general.
Granted, that film was actually satirical in nature, and that's probably part of the reason it worked. The 2020 film will probably be more serious, so who knows what's coming.

Anyway, I'm definitely excited for King of the Monsters. I liked both Godzilla 2014 and Skull Island a lot (as well as Toho's own Shin Godzilla), so I'm optimistic for this one. Admittedly, the saturated blue/yellow color scheme in the trailer looked ugly, but it's going to be amazing to see these "big 3" Toho kaiju resurrected - in reverence, no less! - for an American blockbuster film.
If Youtube views are anything to go by, at least 13 million other people agree!

Dilopho

I like all the current Godzilla designs! (Legendary, Shin and Anime).

My favourite ever Godzilla design is probably Godzilla 98 (aka Zilla, as he was later retconned into a different giant monster and just mistaken for Godzilla originally, just so the "real" Godzilla can fight him).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: