News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS

Started by dragon53, January 30, 2017, 04:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ITdactyl on January 19, 2019, 05:33:17 AM
I sincerely hope "King of the Monsters" won't be as depressing as "Planet Eater".  'A bit ironic, for a film whose supposed message is about hope.

There was a .. logic, to it I admit.   But it was on the depressing side to be sure.

Mackeral

Quote from: ITdactyl on January 13, 2019, 01:25:10 AM
Can someone PM me why the "spoiler" is a spoiler?  As a super casual fan, I don't get it but I'm really curious.

*edit*  A big Thanks to all members who PM'ed.

Can someone please PM me the meaning of the spoiler too?
Thank you in advance  ^-^

MLMjp

So I just watched Kong: Skull island, and I must say: I really liked it! :))

Unlike in Godzilla 2014, this time the title monster is much more present in the movie and they don't cut away from it when there is a fight. So that was good.
Also now that I watched this, I am more interested in seeing Godzilla vs Kong than before.

Derek.McManus

I think the bold move away from Skull island as a home of dinosaurs paid off in this movie and honestly I was sceptical at first.

Fembrogon

Honestly, as soon as it was revealed Skull Island would be integrated into the monsterverse, it made sense to upgrade the island from dinosaurs; the stage needed to be set for bigger things.

I liked both Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island a lot. Both films suffer somewhat in handling their human casts, but both films feature GREAT effects scenes and convincingly portray the epic scale of the monsters. Godzilla goes for a heavy atmospheric style, while Kong is more of a standard action-adventure film. The fact that these two very different stories coexist in the same universe is something I appreciate.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 12, 2019, 05:55:46 AM
Jakks always goes cheap.. the last Godzilla toys by them I ignored, same this time. I'll wait for Neca to give us some nice detailed large pieces.
I think the only Godzilla toy Jakks did before was the big one; are you thinking of Bandai Creation, by any chance? There's no news from them yet, but I'm sure they'll be producing something too.
I agree on NECA, though; they'll probably provide the best bang for their buck. I mean, sure, the S.H. Monsterarts figures are coming, too; but those can be so expensive...

Dilopho

I agree with the dinosaur thing.
I absolutely hate how the Peter Jackson Kong handles the dinosaurs. Really nice designs, but they're just bid stupid dum-dums.
The Brontosaurus just stampede to their deaths, and I hate it when they're all just heaped up suffocating each other because It's just distressing to watch.
The V. rex all going after the lady in Kong's hand when they could easily just team up and shred Kong.
And of course, the little guys, uh...Venatosaurus, I think, who decide to go after Brontosaurus for some ungodly reason.

MLMjp

The Godzilla King of the Monsters figures by NECA from toy fair:

More images from Toyark and facebook:
Spoiler

There is even a Mothra larva:

[close]
They look awesome.
Godzilla look great but it looks like the gave him anime eyes :o Super atomic breath Godzilla also looks cool, BUT I think it is taking a spot that should be for a certain golden one who is many...
Mothra´s pattern on the wings are not as elaborate as in the SH Monsterarts but honestly I like the NECA better than the SH, specially for it´s coloration.
Rodan´s sculpt and detail are miles better than the SH Monsterarts one. But WHY is he grey? He should be dark red/garnet! I find ironic that every other Rodan figure revealed so far is inferior to this one yet those get the coloration right unlike this one.

Also the bases of Rodan and Mothra are really cool.

However I am disappointed that there is no King Ghidorah figure to be shown. Someone on reddit said that maybe tomorrow at 11 PST there could be something else, but who knows. If it true I hope is Ghidorah.
Considering that Ghidorah is the most important monster in the movie after the big G, I don't understand why not announcing his figure first like SH Monsterarts did. Assuming that there is one.

Blade-of-the-Moon

o'm hoping there is another bigger Godzilla figure by neca like the last one that was  a good scale about 12"?

i saw some other pics where rodan seemed to have more red.

they might be holding back for a big reveal, to be in scale he has to be huge!

ITdactyl

'Extremely happy to see this.  Thanks for sharing the pics. 

And the 2 flappers have flight display bases.... Wooh!

Fantasia Firebird...err... I mean, Rodan... will be mine.

Dilopho

Well, after having two neca figures break instantly upon opening (pennywise and xenomorph), I'm not looking hopeful for the fate of Mothra. She looks...fragile.

Fembrogon

Quote from: ITdactyl on February 17, 2019, 04:25:12 AM
Fantasia Firebird...err... I mean, Rodan... will be mine.
Heh; I always did think Disney's "monster" was somewhat reminiscent of the Toho titan. I'm definitely looking forward to getting Rodan, and probably the rest of these figures; Ghidorah will undoubtedly appear down the road.

MLMjp

NECA said that they are not doing Ghidorah: :(
https://mobile.twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/1097276127478013952?s=19
However apparently the said the same about Rodan and here we are. So there is still a tiny bit hope.

A Godzilla youtuber theorized that, in case that they are lying, maybe Ghidora could be released in the 4th quarter of 2019 alongside a "Spoiler kaiju". In that case it could be announced when the movie comes out or for San Diego Comic Con. However:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0z676445Ys
Min 27:49: At the moment we do not have plans for a Ghidorah figure. He is simply massive. To make it in scale and do it well. I´m estimating he would be a 150$ retail price. I would be really expensive and we are not positive anyone would go for that Yet, If I recall correctly NECA, has done a decent amount of figures in a BIG scale and with a similar price.

And then we have this other tweet in which they say the have more Godzilla stuff planned:
https://mobile.twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/1097334966818693123

And also there this video from 7 months ago, where the director of product development says there are doing all the monsters, minute 13:28:
https://vimeo.com/281042419
And of course there are other cases when they said they were not doing something and yet they do, or that they don't have the license and then they do it.

This is REALLY frustrating cause I don't know what to think of. They could be lying, or they could be telling the truth. I also wish they weren't so rude when addressing the issue.

Before getting anything I need to see the movie to see if I like it. If I love the movie, thus justifying the necessity of getting figures of the monsters,  then I will wait until SDCC. If there nothing to be announced, the Jakks Pacific sets or the Bandai figures will have to do. :P
By the way, these are the Bandai figures which were revealed a few weeks ago.

They look ok for the most part. But what they did to Rodan?!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah I'm calling BS on Neca for that, this movie will be huge they will make a ton of money on it, it would be stupid not to make one. They really do big figures all the time now so I don't see any logic behind that statement.   That said a tiny part of my brain has reminded me they haven't done many non-godzilla , G-verse figures yet. 

I didn't see them announce a big figure for Godzila either, I think it's 20" with the electronic roar? That's the one I'll buy if they make it.

Appalachiosaurus

People joke about KOTM beating Avengers Endgame, but the monsterverse has been a B-student when it comes to blockbusters. Usually a Blockbuster is a true success when it doubles its budget in box office return, a goal the two previous movies have only just managed to beat by a small margin each time. Add that with the fact that Infinity War alone made twice as much as the entire monsterverse and it makes sense that companies like Neca are afraid of dumping too much money into merchandise that might not make a return.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I never said it would beat Avengers. Those films have Disney behind them and an enormous fan following. A:EG being a conclusion to a widely popular 2 part film I'm certain it will take i big bucks.    If you only look at box office that might be true, but the licensing alone should make it worthwhile. I'm sure Sideshow or a similar company will produce a big KG statue, probably 4-800.00 or more.  Neca has done large figures before, they've released several large Alien figures which hasnt had a "good" movie to back it since Alien3.   There really isn't much more plastic being used in an in scale Ghidorah figure than in a 24" scale human figure.  My only thought is maybe it's a design issue, those big wings are a stability issue in more ways than one.  They could also be waiting to release it for Christmas when customers spend more.

dragon53

New trailer released.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWrb8PitaCU

Brocc21

It's Angerius. I don't care what anyone says! It's my treasured SPICK BOY!
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

stargatedalek

Spoiler
[close]

My money is on Baragon, pretty sure I can make out an ear. Or given what we know of the licensing, his legally safe cousin "burrowing Kaiju".

Brocc21

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 20, 2019, 05:52:13 PM
Spoiler
[close]

My money is on Baragon, pretty sure I can make out an ear. Or given what we know of the licensing, his legally safe cousin "burrowing Kaiju".

But Barry's horn is huge and on his forehead. You'd be able to see it.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Fembrogon

^I think it's been confirmed the mystery kaiju are brand new.

As for the NECA Ghidorah controversy... First off, I think communication has been poor on the company's/Randy's part. It's possible something happened, like: NECA intended to do all of the monsters, only to discover that Ghidorah would be much more difficult to do within their desired price range. However, this hasn't been communicated clearly, so fans are getting confused and frustrated, and Randy keeps responding to everything on Twitter in a manner that just exacerbates the situation.

As to WHY Ghidorah is a problem... NECA has done big figures before (their Pacific Rim kaiju got pretty large), but maybe the level of articulation needed for Ghidorah asked the cost. NECA also tries to make the most of their sculpts, and if they feel they can't get any reuse out of Ghidorah, that might make return profit more difficult too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: