News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS

Started by dragon53, January 30, 2017, 04:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

I think things would have worked out better in G14 if the human focus was Serizawa and Graham instead.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

alexeratops

Serizawa and Graham are both coming back in Godzilla: King of the Monsters, not as the main characters, but then again we have a couple actors from Stranger Things which seems promising. I think GvK should be the last movie, because I don't know how many more monsters they can add into this universe without it becoming a cliche "last of its kind trapped somewhere away from humans", not to mention that there aren't many monsters that would fit anywhere in Earth's evolutionary tree. And if they weren't from Earth, it would ruin the grounded-and-realistic feel that they are going for with these movies.
like a bantha!

Takama

Quote from: alexeratops on August 21, 2017, 03:11:26 AM
Serizawa and Graham are both coming back in Godzilla: King of the Monsters, not as the main characters, but then again we have a couple actors from Stranger Things which seems promising. I think GvK should be the last movie, because I don't know how many more monsters they can add into this universe without it becoming a cliche "last of its kind trapped somewhere away from humans", not to mention that there aren't many monsters that would fit anywhere in Earth's evolutionary tree. And if they weren't from Earth, it would ruin the grounded-and-realistic feel that they are going for with these movies.

I think they alredy did that with Kong: Skull Island

alexeratops

Quote from: Takama on August 21, 2017, 03:17:31 AM
Quote from: alexeratops on August 21, 2017, 03:11:26 AM

I think they alredy did that with Kong: Skull Island

Kong has always been a giant ape, it isn't something that they could just change. They tried to scientifically explain everything as much as possible (hollow earth, isolated evolution, etc) so I feel like it didn't take away from their universe.
like a bantha!

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 20, 2017, 09:22:11 PM
I for one hated the 2014 Godjilla and loved Kong, I mean to each their own but there's a point where it feels like people don't even care about enjoyment of a movie and just if it's a cinematic marvel. Some of us just want to have fun, and for a lot of people Godzilla 2014 was quite slow paced and boring.

It sounds as though you are suggesting that Kong is somehow inherently and objectively enjoyable, and anyone who didnt like it is just denying that through some kind of pretense. By your own expression, to each their own, people enjoy different things, and aside from anything else I personally found Kong to be immensely boring and no fun at all, and all i wanted it to be was fun, so what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on August 21, 2017, 07:59:34 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 20, 2017, 09:22:11 PM
I for one hated the 2014 Godjilla and loved Kong, I mean to each their own but there's a point where it feels like people don't even care about enjoyment of a movie and just if it's a cinematic marvel. Some of us just want to have fun, and for a lot of people Godzilla 2014 was quite slow paced and boring.

It sounds as though you are suggesting that Kong is somehow inherently and objectively enjoyable, and anyone who didnt like it is just denying that through some kind of pretense. By your own expression, to each their own, people enjoy different things, and aside from anything else I personally found Kong to be immensely boring and no fun at all, and all i wanted it to be was fun, so what you're saying doesn't make any sense.
What I'm saying is that a lot of people will think nothing of movies just because the movie is formulaic, or because it doesn't attempt to tackle real world problems. People who only consider movies that are either "Oscar-made" or in some manner or other "pushing" their respective genre in some way to be worthwhile. Godzilla 2014 clearly was an attempt to fall under the latter, and got a lot of praise from general audiences as-such. Because it "was different from other monster movies" it got immeasurable praise from people who've never seen any other monster movies.

WarrenJB

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 20, 2017, 10:02:06 PM
Haven't seen Kong yet, but I agree that G2014 was rather slow paced. The fact that most screentime went to Ford Brody, who is as pretty much a piece of wood, clearly did not help. And when there is monster action, a lot of it is set at a very dark night and barely visible, unless you brighten your screen a lot. Seriously, if you give your Kaiju EMP, at least do it like in Pacific Rim and add bioluminescence. ( Also liked how that problem was solved in Shin Godzilla )

Agreed.

Also, I was looking forward to a Lovecraft-style, existential horror, remake or reimagining of the 1954 film or even bits of the Heisei era. What we got was something closer to the 'Yaay Godzilla' of the late Showa era. When the news screen declared 'Godzilla: savior of the city?' (The one he just stood on) I figured they could've gone whole hog and nicked Gamera's 'friend to children!' tagline.

I think we got Cthulhu-Zilla in Shin Godzilla (I think - anyone know where I can get a region 0 DVD?) and there looks to be something of that in the new anime's plot.

Kong's trailers made me want to stay away from the cinema. It looked too much like the cynical 'monsterverse' cash-in that it is, in imitation of Marvel's cinematic universe (Ironically it might imitate Universal's 'Dark Universe' more) complete with superhero-proportioned Kong.

Hey you guys who saw it, did Kong do a superhero landing at any point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwUilIo036g

And to be honest, I'm not going to leap up and run to the cinema if one of a film's main draws is Sam 'I just get hired to do Sam Jackson impersonations anymore' Jackson. It all feels like mindless schlock, with a thin veil of 'hopefully-clever message' draped over it. (In Ken Watanabe's case: very thin, and full of holes) I don't think it's too difficult to be actually, or reasonably, clever, with excitement and heart, in a film with a more or less silly sci-fi/fantasy premise. Look at the remade Planet of the Apes series (or the original film) or heck, any given Pixar film.

Or that one, got mentioned somewhere, what was it... Godzilla.

dragon53

GODZILLA 2---Jason Liles, the motion capture actor who played George the albino gorilla in RAMPAGE, will play King Ghodira in the sequel which also includes Rodan and Mothra.

ITdactyl

I'm really hoping that Rodan and Mothra don't end up just being fodder for Godzilla and Ghidora.  I'm aware the lore has Godzilla "ending" all competition, and I'm almost sure we won't have any kawaii/cute themes running in this version (where mothra/rodan are bonded with humans) - but something tells me monthra and rodan will just be this films version of JW's apatosaurs/ankylosaurs... casualties to show how bad-@ss the "villain" is.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've been looking for it to be a remake of Ghidrah the three headed monster which also featured mothra and rodan

dragon53

GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS---Vera Farmiga spoke about her character, Dr. Emma Russell, "She has figured out a way to communicate with the creatures and potentially control them using their bioacoustics on a sonar level. So she is like a DJ for the monsters."
The sequel features Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah.

dragon53

GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS---photo released show Godzilla using his atomic breath and Millie Bobby Brown with Vera Farmiga.
Director Michael Dougherty said about the sequel's Rodan, "Rodan's been kind of a sidekick character, but I've always had a soft spot for him... In a lot of ways he's more powerful than Godzilla. He's like this winged A-bomb. I think we've done him justice."

ITdactyl

They sure know how to tease, and I do want to see their new take on Rodan.. so yes... stoked.

Derek.McManus

The trailer for this movie has just appeared on line worth a swift look.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

Long live the King!

Yep, I'm excited.
Oh no

Dilopho

Is Rodan gonna be a bad guy in this?  ???

CityRaptor

Probably more like an anti-hero.
Oh no

Dilopho

Oh.
Also, for those who haven't seen Kong yet, I seriously recommend it. It's treated with a lot of respect for Kong AND the monsters.

Gwangi

Quote from: Dilopho on July 22, 2018, 12:48:08 AM
Oh.
Also, for those who haven't seen Kong yet, I seriously recommend it. It's treated with a lot of respect for Kong AND the monsters.

Personally I preferred "Kong: Skull Island" over "Godzilla", but I'm still excited about this one. I doubt it will have the poor pacing and character development of the last film.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: