News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What's your personal collecting style?

Started by tyrantqueen, March 14, 2012, 10:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Pixelboy on March 15, 2012, 10:11:20 PM
I'm with Horridus on this one. Although, I grew up with bald dromaeosaurs myself, and I don't mind the look of, say JP's raptors. What bothers me is that companies, even those who usually manage decent accuracy like Safari, continue to put out bald raptor figures. It's absurd that the idea of feathered, birdlike raptors is being stalled on its way to popular knowledge because sculptors don't think they look mean enough, or whatever it is that they're worried about. Besides, raptors look totally awesome with their feathers on.  8)

Hey man, I totally agree with you. Basically I'm just saying, bald dromaeosaurs don't bother me. I prefer the feathered ones sure but I'll take the outdated ones too. I think Safari will eventually release a feathered dromaeosaur.

shadowarceus

-Accurate
-Well detailed
-Miniatures (Gashapon/kaiyodo)

Lio99

i don't really care for accuracy
i have the carnegie kronosaurus!   ;D

Patrx

Quote from: Gwangi on March 16, 2012, 01:20:34 AM
Quote from: Pixelboy on March 15, 2012, 10:11:20 PM
I'm with Horridus on this one. Although, I grew up with bald dromaeosaurs myself, and I don't mind the look of, say JP's raptors. What bothers me is that companies, even those who usually manage decent accuracy like Safari, continue to put out bald raptor figures. It's absurd that the idea of feathered, birdlike raptors is being stalled on its way to popular knowledge because sculptors don't think they look mean enough, or whatever it is that they're worried about. Besides, raptors look totally awesome with their feathers on.  8)

Hey man, I totally agree with you. Basically I'm just saying, bald dromaeosaurs don't bother me. I prefer the feathered ones sure but I'll take the outdated ones too. I think Safari will eventually release a feathered dromaeosaur.

I admit, I do have a couple of Papo raptors, because Jurassic Park is awesome. I'm also sure Safari will catch on one of these days, and then I will be more than happy to buy a pack of proper dromaeosaurs from them :)

Ikessauro

I am a fairly diverse collector. I'm becoming a completist, but I always choose to complete one or two collections at a time. I like accurate toys, but accuracy isn't crucial.
I do have a lot of inaccurate toys and I prefer aesthetics over accuracy, because, accuracy fades as the time pass, while the beauty of a well done toy or model is eternal.

I have Chinasaurs and sometimes I buy one or two, depending of their looks. I like to buy rare stuff, but not if it's super expensive and ugly. I wish I could afford some
resin kits, but I can't or I already would have bought some. I do please nostalgia too, hence my fondness for the Salvat models and JP stuff.

Syntarsus

Don't know if I could even call myself a collector - I only just bought my first 3 toys recently and only one was a proper dinosaur (Papo Spinosaurus along with a Kelenken and Postosuchus). I bought them for taking pics of and using in photomanipulations. I like the totally inaccurate idea of dinosaurs entering our a human world. Despite that I'd prefer if the models were as accurate as possible but more important is detail and looking real.

Tylosaurus

Well my style Dino-Riders have always been my numero uno, probably due to my child hood days I guess it's something I grew up with and yeah it's still there as in always on the lookout because still you may never know what you come across.

Nowadays I collect a lot of various things.

Here a list of things + the gallery of the item type:

Dino-Riders, Prehistoric Marine Reptiles & Minerals:

Bookwork, Art & Articles of Evolution 1952 - 1993 to Present:

But yeah I collect minerals as well I still have to make a separate sub gallery for that one day hehe, it's now contained within my Dino-Riders collection :)

robustus_

I buy what I like, in terms of species, quality, and importance. I'm much more inclined to buy hadrosaurid, ceratopsian, and ankylosaur merchandise than a whole bunch of Tyrannosaurus models. Unfortunately, the latter is far, far more common. I love the big guy, don't get me wrong, but I much prefer the herbivores.

I'm also more inclined to buy Carnegies and Kaiyodos than CollectA models, per se, though the CollectA ceratopsians and ornithopods really aren't bad. I still have to get my hands on them, though.

Horridus

Quote from: RobbieSKatz on March 19, 2012, 09:34:20 PM
I'm much more inclined to buy hadrosaurid, ceratopsian, and ankylosaurus merchandise than a whole bunch of Tyrannosaurus models.
We can never, ever get along.  >:(

Haha, just kidding. I have my fair share of ankylosaurs, ceratopsians and hadrosaurs too. But one can never have too many T. rex...unless they're all terrible.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

robustus_

Quote from: Horridus on March 19, 2012, 09:36:31 PM
Quote from: RobbieSKatz on March 19, 2012, 09:34:20 PM
I'm much more inclined to buy hadrosaurid, ceratopsian, and ankylosaurus merchandise than a whole bunch of Tyrannosaurus models.
We can never, ever get along.  >:(

Haha, just kidding. I have my fair share of ankylosaurs, ceratopsians and hadrosaurs too. But one can never have too many T. rex...unless they're all terrible.

Hahaha, I knew that you wouldn't like hearing that! There are some awesome rexes that I do want, though. And the Battat model is one of my prized possessions.

Roktman

My favorites are Hadrosaurs (especially the Parasaurs), Ankylosaurs and Sauropods.  I also like the figures as accurate as possible, which is for that reason that while I lurk here I don't normally buy dino toys, but the newer resin kits. (ducks for cover and runs).  ;)   But I do have a few toys.

And while JP has renewed interest in dinosaurs, I think that they exaggerated them enuff for the movie screen that they negated the value. Did Dilophosaurus really need the frill? Wanted a giant raptor? Just call it what it was - a Utahraptor.  So I have no JP products. And the JP Rexes have definitely soured my interest in them (sorry Horridus).  ;D   I do have both Tony McVey Rexes, but thats enuff.  ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: Roktman on March 20, 2012, 01:47:28 AMAnd while JP has renewed interest in dinosaurs, I think that they exaggerated them enuff for the movie screen that they negated the value. Did Dilophosaurus really need the frill? Wanted a giant raptor? Just call it what it was - a Utahraptor.  So I have no JP products. And the JP Rexes have definitely soured my interest in them (sorry Horridus).  ;D   I do have both Tony McVey Rexes, but thats enuff.  ;)

It was a movie, that is really all that needs saying. Look back at what dinosaur movies we had before Jurassic Park. The Land Before Time in 1988. Planet of Dinosaurs in 1978. The Valley of Gwangi in 1969. Like Jurassic Park they're all inaccurate, only much more so. Also like Jurassic Park they're all movies but they're either kid movies or B monster movies. There is a reason why you probably haven't even heard of most of the dinosaur movies made. Before Jurassic Park movie dinosaurs were all men-in-suits, tail dragging claymation or dressed up lizards. Jurassic Park is leagues ahead of others in the genre. It was made to entertain, not educate.
On the subject of the Velociraptors, they weren't Utahraptors either as they were just being discovered when the movie hit theaters. They were supposed to be Deinonychus as I recall but Greg Paul had classified Deinonychus as a species of Velociraptor and so that is what was used in the novel and afterwards, the film.

jhudstone

My collecting style is quirky. I have no interest in whole sets, only the best of each species from various sets. That is basically my main misssion - to get one of the best representations of every prehistoric species. Once I am done, I can die in peace.

Lio99

Quote from: jhudstone on March 20, 2012, 03:27:17 AM
My collecting style is quirky. I have no interest in whole sets, only the best of each species from various sets. That is basically my main misssion - to get one of the best representations of every prehistoric species. Once I am done, I can die in peace.
That's a cool way.

Patrx

Quote from: Roktman on March 20, 2012, 01:47:28 AM
And while JP has renewed interest in dinosaurs, I think that they exaggerated them enuff for the movie screen that they negated the value. Did Dilophosaurus really need the frill? Wanted a giant raptor? Just call it what it was - a Utahraptor.  So I have no JP products. And the JP Rexes have definitely soured my interest in them (sorry Horridus).  ;D   I do have both Tony McVey Rexes, but thats enuff.  ;)

...Oboy.

While Gwangi covered the basics, I have a few words. In the context of its time, Jurassic Park is the most accurate dinosaur movie ever. It was, after all, based on the work of Michael Crichton, who was nothing if not a thorough researcher. In fact, I am firmly convinced that if the book and the movie were made in this decade rather than the nineties, it'd be full of feathered raptors and quilled Triceratops - Crichton, and then Spielberg, made use of the most recent ideas of the time. Then again, if Jurassic Park had not been made in the nineties, dinosaurs would not be nearly as popular or marketable as they currently are, and CGI would likely not be as advanced as it is now - so it probably would never have been made at all.

Harukin

I have couple of series that I collect but mostly I try to focus on the quality over quantity. Luckily dinosaur toy collecting usually lasts through a lifetime so I have enough time to adjust my collection ;D

tyrantqueen

I forgot to add that I almost never buy statues or anything that has a base (I think the Sideshow Maquettes are incredibly beautiful, but I would never be able to afford one, nor have the space to store it...)
Resin kits are usually a no-no, because they are expensive and hard to assemble.
One exception I will make for this is the Shapeways figures.

lcamiro

I started as a diverse and somewhat completist collector, careless about scientific accuracy. But lack of space and changing collector taste has driven me to focus my collection to smaller replicas, especially Japanese minis (Kaiyodo, Kabaya, Sega, Yujin and Colorata). These are more manageable and easier to display in various types of corners at home and office. Besides, I tend to shuffle them around to have some variety, some sort of permanent collection + temporary like the museums  :))

I like dinosaurs, marine reptiles, prehistoric mammals and flying reptiles.  Some specific species I like nowadays are:

• Sauropods
  • Ceratopsians
  • Pliosaurs
  • Ice-age mammals
  • Pterosaurs

I have most of my collection stored in the attic  :-\ ,  mainly lower profile figures I bought in the early stages: Vintage schleich, JP toys, some chinasaurs, happinet, sega vinyl figs and others.  I may decide to make a massive sale of this kind of items to optimize storage area.  Many of the toys may end up in my kids hands. In fact I take occasionally some of these figures and give them as birthday present (or XMAS) to my sons

Pawnosuchus

I'm always on the lookout for new species to add to my Dinosaur garage world. Ten years ago this wasn't a problem because a new species in toys was relatively rare. Today they come out with so many new ones, I find I have to be more particular or I will go broke. Accuracy is somewhat important but not as important as aesthetics to me. For instance, there may be a more accurate Ceratosaurus out there but I still love the Battat one. It just seems more gracile and lifelike to me. I pick up a lot of dinosaurs in yard sales because they're practically free but they rarely make the cut and graduate to my garage. Instead they're doomed to exile in basement storage.

DinoFan45

For me, it's actually pretty simple. I either find one that's really accurate(no battats), or it just appeals to me, like the invictas and the jp line. Speaking of which, I need to get that wish list written and up...
"Life will find a way."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: