You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recommendations for a Sauropod collection.

Started by billharrison, February 12, 2017, 10:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billharrison

I'm building up a collection of large sauropods. Since I'm just doing it for fun and for aesthetics, my criteria are that I want large (over 12" or so) figures that are at least fairly accurate. So no cartoony stuff, no 1980's chinasaurs with gaping mouths full of sharp teeth. I don't want really huge figures that would dwarf my big Schleich and Papo brachios because I just don't have room. I would go for models or already built kits if they aren't too costly.

Here's my current list and my want list. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I Have:
Safari; 2010 Apatosaurus,
Safari 2001 Camarasaurus,
1996 Wild Safari Apatosaurus,
Safari 2017 Diplodocus,
1996 Wild Safari Apatosaurus,
Safari 2017 Diplodocus,
Papo; Brachiosaurus,
Papo Apatosaurus
Schleich World of History Apatosaurus,
Schliech Apatosaurus 73527 (in dark gray),
1997 Schleich Apatosaurus,
1993 Schleich Brachiosaurus,
Schliech 2012 Brachiosaurus
Carnegie; 1996 Saltosaurus,
Carnegie 1989 Brachiosaurus,
Carnegie 1988 Apatosaurus
Carnegie 2012 Brachiosaurus,
1988 Carnegie Diplodocus,
2008 Carnegie Diplodocus,
CollectA; 2012 Argentiniosaurus
CollectA Jobaria,
CollectA Daxiatitan,
CollectA Amargasaurus Deluxe,
PNSO; Euhelopus
Lufengosaurus by PNSO,
Bullyland Europasaurus,
Bullyland Museum Apatosaurus,
Bullyland Museum Brachiosaurus
Invicta; Brachiosaurus,
Invicta Diplodocus
painted Invicta Mamenchisaurus,
painted Invicta Brachiosaurus,
painted Invicta diplodocus,
Happinet; Supersaurus
Toyway; Diplodocus
Larami Diplodocus,
Great Dinos Apatasaurus,
Barapasaurus by Schleich,
Recur Apatosaurus,
Seismosaurus Kabaya

My want list:
a Battat Diplodocus (of course),
Safari Mamenchisaurus,
Tsukuda brontosaurus,
Amargasaurus by SEGA,
painted invicta apatosaurus,
painted Invicta Cetiosaurus,
Favorite FD-301 Brachiosaurus,
CollectA Agustinia

BTW if you read my post here and then see recommendations from other members that are already in this list, it's because I'm updating my list as suggestions are made. And again, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Halichoeres

I'd recommend the CollectA Jobaria and Daxiatitan, and maybe the Safari or Invicta Mamenchisaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

billharrison

Thanks! I was not aware of the Safari Mamenchisaurus. There's one on ebay now, but it looks beat up and they want $89. What do you think is a reasonable price?

Halichoeres

Quote from: billharrison on February 13, 2017, 12:01:22 AM
Thanks! I was not aware of the Safari Mamenchisaurus. There's one on ebay now, but it looks beat up and they want $89. What do you think is a reasonable price?

$89 might be fair for one in good shape, but if it's beat up I wouldn't pay more than half that much. I sold one here on the forum that was in nice shape for something like $70 if I remember correctly. Personally, I would wait. But depends on your patience level!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Archinto

Im a lover of Gigantic sauropods and old funky toothy things. I'd recommend getting a tsukuda brontosaurus, as it is necessary to own at least one old school representation of an Apatosaurus and this is a charming one. Carnegies are definitely yes. I really love my Dino Riders Bronto, and my playskool brach, but thy are probably too huge and/or cartoony for your likes I think. I think I saw a comparison shot of the haungetitan and the carnegie brach and its not too dwarfingly huge in comparison. I'd buy it if it wasnt so expensive.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Daspletotyrannus

You might want to try dejankins. They seem to have some of dinosaurs on your wish list.  And around the regular price. I haven't tried them yet. But from what I've heard they are trustworthy.

Libraraptor

billharrison

RobinGoodfellow, I spent an hour and a half last night going through all the posts about your collection, pausing occasionally to wipe the drool from my shirt front. I had this big list of "who made that one?!!!!" questions, but I ended up deleting it because I didn't want to sound like, well, a noob. My interest right now is building up my sauropods, but I'm also very into the sea creatures, and you have some amazing examples of both.

billharrison

Thanks, Archinto, Libraraptor and Halichoeres. Your recommendations are now on my list. Thanks Daspletotyrannus, I'll check them out. So far, everything I have is from eBay.

billharrison

BTW, can anyone tell me where I can get a Hans? And is he 1:40, or what?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: billharrison on February 13, 2017, 04:43:19 PM
RobinGoodfellow, I spent an hour and a half last night going through all the posts about your collection, pausing occasionally to wipe the drool from my shirt front. I had this big list of "who made that one?!!!!" questions, but I ended up deleting it because I didn't want to sound like, well, a noob. My interest right now is building up my sauropods, but I'm also very into the sea creatures, and you have some amazing examples of both.

If I can help you, just ask..  ^-^
But my all collection can easily be viewed on Flickr.
You can find info about a figure just clicking on pictures you're interested.
To help collectors, on Flickr you can find my collection classified by:

COLLECTIONS:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/collections/

CLASSIFICATION:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/collections/72157659171215903/

BRAND:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/collections/72157658671922655/

FULL COLLECTION:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157650140713189

ALL:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums

I hope it helps you.

:)

PumperKrickel

deleted

laticauda

Looks like you have a great start.

The Carnegie Amargasarus is one of my favorites but it might be too small for what you looking for, so instead I would recommend the CollectA Amargasaurus Deluxe.  Its a very nice figure. 

The CollectA Diplodocus and the 1996 Wild Safari Apatosaurus are standing and have a nice look to them.  I am also a major fan of the original Carnegie Diplodocus, but it is outdated so that might not be what your looking for. 

On the smaller side but still really nice I would also recommend the Wild Safari Nigersaurus and the CollectA Ampelosaurus. 

Happy hunting.   

billharrison

QuoteIf I can help you, just ask..  ^-^
But my all collection can easily be viewed on Flickr.
You can find info about a figure just clicking on pictures you're interested.
To help collectors, on Flickr you can find my collection classified by:

Thanks! BTW, thanks also for the tip about clicking on the photo. Hadn't tried that. Great resource. It bugs me at times when people post great stuff on this forum (I've been lurking for a while) and don't identify the maker.

billharrison

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: billharrison on February 13, 2017, 04:49:53 PM
BTW, can anyone tell me where I can get a Hans? And is he 1:40, or what?

Must buy a schleich replica-saurus new. I've seen them on ebay and Dejankins. He should be 1:40  but some say 1:35.

billharrison

"Must buy a schleich replica-saurus new. I've seen them on ebay and Dejankins. He should be 1:40  but some say 1:35."

Which dinosaur are you talking about? Replica-saurus is a whole Schleich line. (BTW, can someone point me to instructions on how to quote previous comments?)

Daspletotyrannus

http://www.dejankins.com/schleich-replica-saurus/
Anyone of them should have it.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Schleich-TRICERATOPS-Dinosaur-with-tag-booklet-and-human-16452-/351972714620?nav=SEARCH
It a Triceratops but it has Hans

There a quote button in the right hand top corner on each post.

BlueKrono

Quote from: billharrison on February 14, 2017, 12:56:10 AM
"Must buy a schleich replica-saurus new. I've seen them on ebay and Dejankins. He should be 1:40  but some say 1:35."

Which dinosaur are you talking about? Replica-saurus is a whole Schleich line. (BTW, can someone point me to instructions on how to quote previous comments?)

The easiest way is this: at the top right corner of every comment you can see "Quote". Simply click on that, and the person's comment will appear quoted above yours.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: