News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do you collect anything else?

Started by tyrantqueen, March 14, 2012, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

docronnie

I collect toys related to Marvel's Thor and Marvel Legends Avengers and usually display them on toy related events like Toy conventions and movie promotions.  Sometimes, I get invited to appear on TV and cable with my collections:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKuDdsdozU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUEHQPFDOKc
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

tyrantqueen

You should have told us earlier that you were famous ;D Very cool.

docronnie

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 19, 2013, 01:46:00 AM
You should have told us earlier that you were famous ;D Very cool.

Not really, TQ.  I maybe just lucky.  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Thundercharge on March 14, 2012, 11:40:55 AM
For the longest time I collected Transformers, and still have a bunch of those (had a couple hundred at one point!). I also have some comic book figures, and a cool handful of Zoids :)

I have a bunch of transformers too! I used to have most of the armada line, but then we moved, and all I had was five minicons. Now I've got a lot of the generations figures, and some movie ones. I also have gotten my beast wars ones back!  ;D
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Hermes888

About a week ago, I took up collecting US 1 cent coins. I now have every cent from 1959 to today, excluding a few San Francisco minted ones and the Denver 2009 pennies. I also have nine different Wheat cents (1909-1958), an Indian Head cent (1859-1908) from 1883, and even two coins from Canada, one from 1941 and one from 1998. I've been through at least $25 worth of pennies so far.

amargasaurus cazaui

If you were to consider that hobby a tad further it would take you a few places Hermes. What I mean is this..in the late seventies and early eighties the US realized that pennies cost more to mint based on copper content than they were worth at face value. They began to study how to replace the normal copper cent with something more economical. In 1982 the US mint released seven varieties if penny, if you consider the different mint marks, and contents used. They settled on a new design of the penny containing a zinc slug, coated with copper. Since that year all cents are minted in this fashion. The pennies minted prior to 1982, were almost entirely copper. In todays copper market they are worth 4.5 times face value if they were sold as copper. For the pennies minted during 1982, the ones that have zinc content do not weigh the same as the copper content ones, so a simple hand made scale can determine the difference.
  I tend to hoard any and all pennies I get that are dated prior to 1982. In addition if you have used a decent reference piece, then you already know that some of the rarest pennies produced from 1959 to the present were the 1972, 1973 and 1974 San Francisco or S mint marks. These too make a good item to sort and save seperately based on simple rarity. After 1974 the only way to obtain S mint mark pennies was of course from proof sets.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

postsaurischian

Quote from: docronnie on August 19, 2013, 01:30:08 AM
I collect toys related to Marvel's Thor and Marvel Legends Avengers and usually display them on toy related events like Toy conventions and movie promotions.  Sometimes, I get invited to appear on TV and cable with my collections .......

:D Cool, docronnie.

I've been a Marvel silver age comic book collector for nearly as long as I can read (The Mighty Thor and Journey Into Mystery are also included in the collection).
I've always been tempted to collect Marvel figurines but never did because I need the money for Dinosaurs :).
Not long ago I fainted and bought 33 different (silver age) characters of The Classic Marvel Figurine Collection by Eaglemoss Publication.
They're too good ..... and they're in 1:20 ;D!

....... except for Galactus of course ;D. What would you say, how tall would a 1:20 Galactus be?
                                                    Oh, I forgot ... of course he can assume any size he wants to, but usually he appears as tall as a skyscraper.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 04, 2014, 01:52:13 PM
Quote from: docronnie on August 19, 2013, 01:30:08 AM
I collect toys related to Marvel's Thor and Marvel Legends Avengers and usually display them on toy related events like Toy conventions and movie promotions.  Sometimes, I get invited to appear on TV and cable with my collections .......

:D Cool, docronnie.

I've been a Marvel silver age comic book collector for nearly as long as I can read (The Mighty Thor and Journey Into Mystery are also included in the collection).
I've always been tempted to collect Marvel figurines but never did because I need the money for Dinosaurs :).
Not long ago I fainted and bought 33 different (silver age) characters of The Classic Marvel Figurine Collection by Eaglemoss Publication.
They're too good ..... and they're in 1:20 ;D!

....... except for Galactus of course ;D. What would you say, how tall would a 1:20 Galactus be?
                                                    Oh, I forgot ... of course he can assume any size he wants to, but usually he appears as tall as a skyscraper.
This?

Or this?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

postsaurischian

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 04, 2014, 04:10:27 PM
This?

Yeah, these are the Marvel silver age No.1 issues.
:o Don't say these are yours! Otherwise you're a rich man.

amargasaurus cazaui

Incredible Hulk #1, signed on the inside first page by Jack Kirby. x-Men #1, and Avengers #1....Fantastic Four #1, Amazing Spider Man #1, and Daredevil #1, Tales to Astonish #27 (first appearance of Ant man), Journey into Mystery #83 (first Appearance of Thor) and finally Tales of Suspense # 39....(first appearance of Iron man). A few of them are lower grade, but yes they are mine. I consider this my retirement plan .
Do you also follow any of the silver age DC titles? I have a Showcase #22 as well. Some seriously key older books and getting pretty pricey these days.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 04, 2014, 06:10:13 PM
Incredible Hulk #1, signed on the inside first page by Jack Kirby. x-Men #1, and Avengers #1....Fantastic Four #1, Amazing Spider Man #1, and Daredevil #1, Tales to Astonish #27 (first appearance of Ant man), Journey into Mystery #83 (first Appearance of Thor) and finally Tales of Suspense # 39....(first appearance of Iron man). A few of them are lower grade, but yes they are mine. I consider this my retirement plan .
Do you also follow any of the silver age DC titles? I have a Showcase #22 as well. Some seriously key older books and getting pretty pricey these days.
I hope you keep them in a locked safe :o ;)

postsaurischian

:o Awesome! We quite have something in common :).
I have to reply in detail tomorrow because I have to go to work now :(.

amargasaurus cazaui

They are obviously at the point where security is required. I keep the entire set plus about forty others in a safe deposit box at my local bank, so they are protected from fire, flood, or theft almost perfectly. The sixty or so dollars a year I pay in rent outweighs the constant worry.

postsaurischian

My comic book collection consists of two parts - 1. Marvel silver age books (partly bronze age) & 2. My favourite pencillers.

The first time I came into touch with Marvel was in the early 70s. While still in primary school, our mother said we (me and my sister) were allowed to buy a magazine of our choice every second week. I chose the German version of Planet of the Apes - Planet der Affen. The movies already blew me away and I believed in everything that was told there. To me it made sense ;D and I thought this was the true Genesis. (My sister chose Bravo by the way) ;D.
Superheroes were pretty big in Germany in the seventies. Everything that was big in America was splashing over to Germany a few years later. We were an occupied country. I for one am missing the occupiers (Americans) now.
So it wasn't long before I was collecting all the German editions of the great Marvel silver age series. For the younger: No, there was no internet and there was no chance to get at the U.S. originals unless you knew a U.S. army soldier who could buy at their shops at the barracks. I was too young to know such one >:( and it was too late for the greatest books anyway because 'silver age' roughly means comic books from the 60s.

After the internet revolution (yes, for us foreign comic book collectors it was a revolution and the prices for us dropped about 500%) I restarted with the originals. I have dreamed about that for decades :)!!
Of course it has been impossible for me to get the number ones yet, since I do not collect conditions below 'Very Good+' and even in 'Good' I could never afford them. So yeah, you have kind of a nice pension insurance there ;D. I'm getting me the Overstreet Price Guide every second year and their market trend throughout the last twenty years is mind-blowing :o!

What I do collect is .......

1. Marvel siver age books:

Fantastic Four (up to # 130), Journey Into Mystery / The Mighty Thor (up to #180), Tales To Astonish (from #27 respectively 35 on), Amazing Spider-Man (up to #136 + the McFarlane issues #298-325), The Avengers (up to #101), Daredevil (up to #100 + the Miller issues #158-191), Silver Surfer (I consider this the last silver age series - opinions differ - my only silver age #1) :)

You might wonder at the strange range of numbers I'm collecting, like Amazing Spider-Man (up to #136). This is due to the fact that the publisher of the German reprints (Williams) went broke in 1978 and it all stopped there. That was a huge shock for me as an 11 year old fanatic teenager :o ;D.
To collect these books is a very nostalgic thing in my case. Sometimes I don't even like some of the pencillers who drew them anymore, but I like the books :).
Of course I LOVE Jack 'the King' Kirby and I'm glad he did a huge amount of this stuff! Forget about Roy Lichtenstein - Jack Kirby is the true Pop Art icon!!!

2. My favourite pencillers:

Actually this is the center part of the collection because I collect these comic books, hardcovers, portfolios & prints for the art and it's very adventurous to collect the work of an artist you like and to follow his development :). I see these artists in the same tradition of the great painters of all centuries. I live close to the French border. There comic art is considered as 'la neuvième art' (the ninth art). It's so sad that the Germans probably will never accept this in a similar way. We are too conservative here. It's strange because Wilhelm Busch (love his work) was one of the earliest if not the earliest comic book artist in the world in the middle of the 19th century and he was German.
Anyway, we have wonderful pencillers around the world and the ones I like the most are the following:

~ Barry Windsor-Smith (I do collect everything he did / does? Hm, I've been waiting for something new from him (The Monster?) for almost 10 years now. I hope he's allright. I have almost everything.)

~ Berni Wrightson (I've been in LOVE with his black & white Horror since the late 70s but only collect his work up to the mid-80s when Berni started to call himself Bernie. Astonishingly his work got worse since then. I can still not understand that tragic loss of quality. I have almost everything.
Hey, Berni did a set of 5 Dinosaur posters in the mid-seventies - Hadrosaurus, Triceratops, Allosaurus, Diplodocus and Plesiosaurus.
I'm only missing the Plesiosaurus ;D.)

~ Jeffrey Jones (RIP Jeff - that guy was an underestimated genius - on par with Salvador Dali, but more for the mind. I collect everything he did. Unfortunately there's not so much of his work available. He became a woman and paintress. Her/His paintings are wonderful but I can't afford them.)

~ Moebius (Jean Giraud) (RIP - what a shock and tragic loss last year :'(. If you ask all the other comic book artists about who's the greatest, the answer is either Frank Frazetta or ... Moebius. Moebius is Magic! Words can't describe the huge influence he had in the world of Fantasy. I collect everything he's done)

~ Richard Corben (It's unbelievable how someone can constantly deliver such a huge amount of high quality work over all those years. I love him and do collect everything he does. His cinematography is insane and simply unique, both coloured or b/w.)

~ Robert Crumb (Ha, ha, the Frank Zappa of comic books, a true genius, an American hero - although he left and lives in France now. He doesn't like the modern America, he hates it and no one can describe that America better than he himself. The mixture between Underground mentality and highly sophisticated drawing quality is especially appealing to me).

~ Sam Kieth (Sam is special to me in many ways: He's about my age, I'm following his career since the very beginning, some of my favourite pencillers are his influences too, he listens to music that I like as well and I'm following his blog regularly. It was him and Todd McFarlane who saved the American comic book industry from going down. Their new style revolutionized the genre. Todd is being copied a hundred times and a very rich man now. Sam ..... is still more of an artist, fortunately still on the scout, searching for new grounds. His stories sometimes are so real, they can move me to tears. No other comic book artist can do that to me. Sometimes I think he steals things out of my head and shows them in the books. This might be spiritual kinship. I claim to have the most complete Sam Kieth collection in the world :). No, I'm not talking about original paintings.)

~ Will Eisner (RIP - The inventor of the Graphic Novel. I especially like black & white graphics, so there's no way to avoid Will Eisner. I'm only collecting his Graphic Novel Hardcover books, only 1st printings. The Spirits I got me as reprints, no way to afford the originals.)

Gasp! I didn't realize how much I wrote ;D. You see, I love comic books.

sauroid

i love Moebius too. i inherited my dad's Heavy Metal magazines (the american edition of the french Metal Hurlant). i also love Richard Corben. again, i inherited my dad's old Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella mags that featured a lot of Corben's work.  also love Frazetta, Wrightson...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

postsaurischian

Quote from: sauroid on February 05, 2014, 03:29:29 PM
i love Moebius too. i inherited my dad's Heavy Metal magazines (the american edition of the french Metal Hurlant). i also love Richard Corben. again, i inherited my dad's old Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella mags that featured a lot of Corben's work.  also love Frazetta, Wrightson...

Cool :)! Take care of the Warren magazines, especially the Vampirellas will increase their value ;). I hope they're bagged & boarded.

There's a nice Dinosaur story by Corben in EErie #77-79, reprinted in #97 ;D.
His Triceratops cover of #77 is epic!

sauroid

is that the time machine story? i vaguely remember a mid-mag color section/insert about dinosaurs in an all-Richard Corben special issue.*gotta look through them again*
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

postsaurischian

Quote from: sauroid on February 05, 2014, 04:02:24 PM
is that the time machine story? .......

Yes, it's a time machine story and I have to correct myself: It was originally printed in three parts in Eerie #77, 79 & 87 :-[.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

This thread is funny to me- my first thought when I read the title was, "like there's money or room for anything else?"
But seriously. I used to have a pretty large fossil collection (including a hefty piece of a dino eggshell from Saltasaurus), but I sold it all except for a Megalodon tooth as large as my hand.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

amargasaurus cazaui

I wandered into a comic book store back in the mid eighties looking for Transformers comics, so I could complete a run for both my younger brother and I. As I spent time in the store I found myself more drawn in and fascinated....I started stalking a pair of comics I had owned as a small child...ultimately finding they were Kamandi #1 and New gods #7, both written and drawn by Jack Kirby. From there I was off on a Kirby streak....collecting all of his work I could find and or afford. I began to become fascinated in particular with the time period when he left Marvel in the seventies and went to work for DC comics, which many consider the true end of the silver age of comics. Kirby was given somewhat free rein and began writing and drawing Mister Miracle, New Gods, and Forever people. In addition he was writing and drawing Jimmy Olsen and writing Lois Lane. He began to weave a massive tapestry of a story called the fourth world trilogy, between all these titles. To this day my favorite comic cover ever drawn by Kirby is New Gods #7, original series. If you ever want to give yourself some thought provoking material regarding who might have actually written Star wars and created many of its core story items, this story is a must read.  At some point I completed my fourth world efforts and turned to silver age keys....First the big boys like Hulk #1, Tales of suspense #39 etc...and then down to the second tier keys...Hulk #102, Captain America #100, Iron Man #1 etc.
At some point in the early nineties I grew weary with the new comics industry with its multiple, die cut, holgraphic , poly bagged gimmickry and tuned out. I let it all sit for about 15 years and then returned to it. This time I am not so much collecting as just hoarding Marvel silver age, above fine, super hero titles in boxes as investments for my eventual retirement.
  Similar to your own likes I was always fond of Jack the King Kirby, and also grew very fond of Mr. Steranko and his style of drawing. My other favorite artists were of course as you mentioned Barry Windsor Smith, and I was fond of McFarlanes work for Infinity Inc, and the Incredible Hulk as well.
  Nowdays when I am not investing in silver age Marvel, I find myself toying with my nearly complete run of Turok's. This was a title that began in the golden age, right through the silver age and into the Bronze era and features many hand painted dinosaur artwork covers. Gorgeous paintings if you enjoy retro dinosaur art and many of them are fold outs as well. I still lack perhaps seven issues, as well as constantly upgrading the copies I have. This is a long and expensive run of books that I may never get done, but the joy is in chasing perhaps.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: