News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do you collect anything else?

Started by tyrantqueen, March 14, 2012, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanm

Carnivorous Plant Books... Probably have around 30-35 of them plus another 8 more on order from Redfern Natural History Press

Orchid Books also - though not as much over the last 5 years or so. Probably closer to 100 orchid books (mostly specific taxonomic & horticultural guides to particular genera & species). I love Dendrobiums (especially the New Guinea ones), Sobralia, and Pleurothallids.

tyrantqueen

Since people are bringing up the comic book issue, I have a question. Back when my dad was a kid, he had the issue which contained Thor's first appearance (Journey into Mystery), and possibly Iron Man (not sure if it was the first issue, but it was a very early one). Would those be worth a lot of money now? He does not have them any more, he told me that my late grandmother threw them out into the rubbish.

I used to be into comics a while back, particularly Batman. One of my favourite sites was (and still is) www.comicartcommunity.com. I used to spend ages looking at all the different artists and admiring their styles.

sauroid

@amargasaurus cazaui: the only Turok version i have is the one put out by Valiant in the 90s. (i started collecting comic books in the 90s when i was in grade school)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

postsaurischian

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 06, 2014, 02:41:24 AM
I wandered into a comic book store back in the mid eighties looking for Transformers comics, so I could complete a run for both my younger brother and I. As I spent time in the store I found myself more drawn in and fascinated....I started stalking a pair of comics I had owned as a small child...ultimately finding they were Kamandi #1 and New gods #7, both written and drawn by Jack Kirby. From there I was off on a Kirby streak....collecting all of his work I could find and or afford. I began to become fascinated in particular with the time period when he left Marvel in the seventies and went to work for DC comics, which many consider the true end of the silver age of comics. Kirby was given somewhat free rein and began writing and drawing Mister Miracle, New Gods, and Forever people. In addition he was writing and drawing Jimmy Olsen and writing Lois Lane. He began to weave a massive tapestry of a story called the fourth world trilogy, between all these titles. To this day my favorite comic cover ever drawn by Kirby is New Gods #7, original series. If you ever want to give yourself some thought provoking material regarding who might have actually written Star wars and created many of its core story items, this story is a must read.  At some point I completed my fourth world efforts and turned to silver age keys....First the big boys like Hulk #1, Tales of suspense #39 etc...and then down to the second tier keys...Hulk #102, Captain America #100, Iron Man #1 etc.
At some point in the early nineties I grew weary with the new comics industry with its multiple, die cut, holgraphic , poly bagged gimmickry and tuned out. I let it all sit for about 15 years and then returned to it. This time I am not so much collecting as just hoarding Marvel silver age, above fine, super hero titles in boxes as investments for my eventual retirement.
  Similar to your own likes I was always fond of Jack the King Kirby, and also grew very fond of Mr. Steranko and his style of drawing. My other favorite artists were of course as you mentioned Barry Windsor Smith, and I was fond of McFarlanes work for Infinity Inc, and the Incredible Hulk as well.
  Nowdays when I am not investing in silver age Marvel, I find myself toying with my nearly complete run of Turok's. This was a title that began in the golden age, right through the silver age and into the Bronze era and features many hand painted dinosaur artwork covers. Gorgeous paintings if you enjoy retro dinosaur art and many of them are fold outs as well. I still lack perhaps seven issues, as well as constantly upgrading the copies I have. This is a long and expensive run of books that I may never get done, but the joy is in chasing perhaps.

I'm collecting all the DC Kirby bronze agers ;D. Almost complete. Some Jimmy Olsen and Demon books are missing.
It's funny, there are quite some interesting theses about the end of the silver age era. As I wrote, mine is (Marvel orientated) Silver Surfer - last silver age series, Conan - first bronze age series. Some say the death of Gwen Stacy is the end of silver age because comic books lost their virginity. I like that one as well :). But your proposal - Kirby changing from Marvel to DC is also not bad :). Anyway, all these moments happened around the same time, at the end of the 60s / early 70s.

I don't wanna think about what my comic book collection would be like if I had grown up in the U.S. :'(. I'm a bit envious.
For example: I have Tales To Astonish #35-101 and Daredevil #2-100, but I will never have the first issues - no way anymore, it's too late.
In the case of Tales To Astonish it's not sooo bad, because I don't consider #27 as a Number 1 issue, it's a Number 0 ;D.
My favourite Marvel books of the collection though are Fantastic Four #21 - 130 (#25 & 26 still missing >:() and Journey Into Mystery / Thor #101 - 180. Well, to me this is Jack Kirby at his best :D. Again earlier issues are getting to expensive for me now, have to be content with the Marvel Masterworks hardcovers.

By the way, one book seems to be missing in your unbelievable pic - Amazing Fantasy #15. Where is it ;D??

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 06, 2014, 03:50:53 AM
Since people are bringing up the comic book issue, I have a question. Back when my dad was a kid, he had the issue which contained Thor's first appearance (Journey into Mystery), and possibly Iron Man (not sure if it was the first issue, but it was a very early one). Would those be worth a lot of money now? He does not have them any more, he told me that my late grandmother threw them out into the rubbish.

:o :o Oh nooooooooo!!!! Crime!!!

Things like that happened quite often, especially in the older days. That's one of the reasons why old comic books are so expensive. The Grandmothers made them rare ;D.

Overstreet Price Guide 41th edition (2011 - 2012) says:
Journey Into Mystery #83 (Near Mint) - USD 30,000 :o

If your Grandmother is still alive, please tell her!

amargasaurus cazaui

AFF has always managed to elude me. The few times I might have closed the deal I think I had the inclination not to, just because to my own collecting I was never huge into Spider man. It was hard to justify paying for two massive keys for the same character. With Thor, Iron Man, and Even perhaps Incredible Hulk the first appearances were always massively more expensive than the first issue.....compare Hulk 1 vs. 102 or J.I.M. 83 to Thor 126, or T.O.S. 39 to Iron man 1.......the first appearances were always hugely more expensive then the first issues. However with Spider man the first issue is almost as much as his first appearance.
I am sure you have done the thing with laying the spines of a golden a silver and a modern age book all together and noticed the differences in width from each generation? Some consider the point that changed as the end of the silver age etc. Others claim it was when comics went from 12 cent to 15 cent cover prices. I myself still think it was when Kirby left marvel.....just my own feeling I guess.
  Although you are correct about TTA 27 not being a true first issue because it would be eight more issues for the character to appear in costume, i dont think it will make much difference once the new avengers movie gets closer. I think TTA 27 is going to get to be a very hot book, mostly because unlike so many of the other marvel characters, his first appearance was just another random horror story that caught on.
Just a few random books that you alluded to owning and should identify with...that are my favorites. Journey into Mystery #103, first enchantress, Love the cover for that comic. Issue #112, the classic Thor Vs Hulk battle is history being told as you read it. Another thing I am very fond of is the backup stories in these issues, about the various characters that are Thor's friends.
A few more of my best picks are x-men #50 , steranko cover, first polaris. Tales of Suspense #84, battle cover between the Adaptoid and Captain America, and of course what we here call the Jabba the Hutt cove, which is Tales to Astonish 44, first Wasp.
Fantastic Four 48 and 49...two of the best silver age comics written, and the cover to 49 is especially eye catching.
I also loved the cover of Captain America # 101, vs the Sleeper.
@ Sauroid. I have the first issues of the Valiant title, but it is was so different from the Turok I grew up with, that I never finished the series. Turok for me was a memory of walking home from school, stopping in the local neighborhood grocery and finding the new Turok issue each month and buying it off the wire spin rack for 15 cents. You have the two lead characters and a valley full of cavemen and "honkers" (dinosaurs) What is not to love? I keep hoping someday they will try and recapture that original storyline and update it.
Fantastic Four 48 and 49...two of the best silver age comics written, and the cover to 49 is especially eye catching.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

sauroid

i do hope that they make a high budget film version of Turok Son Of Stone with great SPLFX someday.
btw, i think i had some Gold Key Turok issues, just dont know what happened to them. the dinosaurs/honkers made the "ARRREEUUUNK" sound as i remember them.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

amargasaurus cazaui

Yep yep...the classic Areeeunnnk. Good memory !!! I love that old series...although collecting them is likely to get me in the poor house. I was recently able to acquire issue 29 in NM- and it was a double cover, have to love it.
I honestly would rather see a Turok feature movie done than yet more time effort and expense dumped into the Jurassic park concept. I think if it were done properly it would be a serious windfall for whatever studio released it.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote:o :o Oh nooooooooo!!!! Crime!!!

Things like that happened quite often, especially in the older days. That's one of the reasons why old comic books are so expensive. The Grandmothers made them rare ;D.

Overstreet Price Guide 41th edition (2011 - 2012) says:
Journey Into Mystery #83 (Near Mint) - USD 30,000 :o

If your Grandmother is still alive, please tell her!
Thanks for the info :) She died before I was born, so I can't tell her that. I don't think my dad blames for for it though.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing :-[

dinocat

1/700 scale WW2 ships and aircraft.

Ridureyu

Q: "Hey Rid, do you collect anything else?"

A: "BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

You can find reviews and general toy-related commentary at http://www.nerditis.com

For some examples of variety, here are a Predator, a Mordle,a Dungeons & Dragons fight scene, and Ba'El, the King of Hell according to the Ars Goetia.

tyrantqueen

I collect artbooks of various "classical" artists...my favourites are Alphonse Mucha, Caravaggio, Michelangelo, Frederic Leighton, Jan Van Hysum, Raphael, and others.

Zhuchengotyrant

I collect HotWheels and Match box cars. I also collect Sea Animals, regular animals, and Disney Pixar Cars racecars.
8)
-Zhuchengotyrant

stoneage

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on April 15, 2014, 08:55:55 PM
I collect HotWheels and Match box cars. I also collect Sea Animals, regular animals, and Disney Pixar Cars racecars.
8)

Where do you keep the animals?

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: stoneage on April 15, 2014, 10:15:59 PM
Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on April 15, 2014, 08:55:55 PM
8)

Where do you keep the animals?
In a bin near my three dinosaur bins.
-Zhuchengotyrant

SpittersForEver

I  collect airfix and Tamiya ww2 stuff and also books lol            :P

Tyto_Theropod

I collect a stupid amount of stuff - most of it expensive lol! Let me see now - almost all things pertaining to Thomas the Tank engine (i.e. Railway Series books, trackmaster toys, retro Brio stuff)... I'm still a huge fan of Thomas because growing up is overrated XD
I also collect Living Dead Dolls, toy Daleks and Cybermen (Doctor Who), china ornaments of rough collies, most things relating to owls and (not entirely unrelated to this forum!) fossils. I also recently got my first orchid and just ordered my first ABJD so those are two whole new (expensive!) adventures waiting to begin... I also used to do model railway stuff, but unfortunately I've had to suspend that as I'm expecting to be moving around a lot in the near future so nowhere to put a layout... Still love the locos though ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

EmperorDinobot

I haven't yet shown you guys my Zoids or my Transformer collections?

That's because they are currently in remodelation. Someday soon they will all be decent.

Raptoress

Of course! Collecting is my biggest enjoyment in life. :) Apart from model dinosaurs, I collect Breyer model horses, Pocket Dragons, Pokemon Cards (and figures and plushies), Webkinz and Dinosaur Train toys. (Don't laugh. xD)

Manatee

I am a fairly big collector of rocks and minerals, along with the occasional dinosaur fossil.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: