News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleozoo Placoderm Groenlandaspis

Started by Paleozoo, April 03, 2017, 12:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paleozoo

Groenlandaspis - a Paleozoo evolutionary model.

Groenlandaspis is an extinct placoderm of the Middle to late Devonian period (370 - 360 ma).
It is a member of the order Arthrodira (gk. jointed neck) and it had a distinctive thoracic shield with a
pyramid-like peak that would have helped it plane through the water column.

Although most of its bony plates were fused together and rigid, the nuchal gap would have allowed for
some movement between the thorax and head.  This anatomical feature allowed many Arthrodiri to develop
large bites but Groenlandaspis is not thought to have been a predator as its mouth parts were quite small. 
However it would have been an adept swimmer and was probably a far-ranging seabed scavenger as its
remains have been found right around the world, most notably in Greenland and Australia.

Initially the armour plating of the placoderms was probably used as a form of defence against other predators, such
as the large arthropods that dominated the Silurian seas, but once the Arthrodire's 'jointed neck' became combined
with an articulated jaw, placoderms quickly became formidable predators in their own right.

Paleozoo aims to provide an outline of Palaeozoic evolution - expressed in a series of short
animations and a collection of museum-grade lifeform models.

Further information and models available for sale at Paleozoo.com.au

Halichoeres

Beautiful work. Any hints as to what might be in the pipeline?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Paleozoo

Mmmm...lots

Sarcopterygian, Ichthyostega, Dimetrodon, Gorgonopsid, Lystrosaurus, Tully Monster, Phacops, Pterygotus, Marrella.......

The list goes on. It's all solo work though and each creature includes animation, so its all very slow.

CrypticPrism

I'd snap a lystrosaurus out your hands in a blink.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

BlueKrono

I'd go for all of those pre-amphibians.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Thanks very much! Looking forward to seeing them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

postsaurischian

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.