You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo Dinotales figures, collecting and reference

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, June 28, 2012, 06:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

..... and the "Encyclopedia of The Paleozoic" set has also just been (re-)released.

sauroid

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 24, 2015, 04:01:14 PM

..... and the "Encyclopedia of The Paleozoic" set has also just been (re-)released.

the exact same sculpt as the Dino Tales series?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

postsaurischian

Quote from: sauroid on August 24, 2015, 05:02:37 PM

It seems so; just new paintjobs and they come with bases.

sauroid

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 24, 2015, 05:32:40 PM
Quote from: sauroid on August 24, 2015, 05:02:37 PM

It seems so; just new paintjobs and they come with bases.
thanks for the info and pic :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

brettnj

One of January's CQ sets is prehistoric:

http://dai4.com/item/2534

As I wrote to my buyers, I desperately wish the company would stop cutting corners and issuing variants (and sequels (See below.)), and would start focusing on variety and sculpting quality (One looks poorly done, at least in the flyer image.) again.  But I like and will get three of the five for my collection.

Second January CQ set is a geckos sequel, for those who like modern reptiles:

http://dai4.com/item/2533

If interested in any, please PM.

Thanks.

tyrantqueen

Chad

Any ideas what the sauropod and croc are supposed to be? The other three are Fukuiraptor, Pteranodon and Therizinosaurus.

postsaurischian

Chad

I think I have this figured out:

Toyotamaphimeia
Fukuiraptor
Pteranodon
Therizinosaurus
Tambatitanis

You gotta love the Japanese pride in their dinos--already two figures of the sauropod found in Tamba now. Toyotamaphimeia is a pleistocene-aged croc and, I'm guessing, one for the unique species list.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Chad on October 02, 2015, 02:56:35 PM

Toyotamaphimeia
Fukuiraptor
Pteranodon
Therizinosaurus
Tambatitanis

You gotta love the Japanese pride in their dinos--already two figures of the sauropod found in Tamba now. Toyotamaphimeia is a pleistocene-aged croc and, I'm guessing, one for the unique species list.

Yep, think you nailed it. I believe that also knocks Tambatitanis off the unique species list.

And contrary to an opinion expressed above, I don't think this set is disappointing at all. Two of these are animals Kaiyodo has never tackled, and except for the Pteranodon, they're all new sculpts.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

Well, the repeat Pteranodon is a let-down, as I don't need duplicates even in different colors. The others look great, though!

Tyrannosauron

Did Therizinosaurus have four functional toes? This is the first restoration I've seen like that.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on October 02, 2015, 04:02:28 PM
Did Therizinosaurus have four functional toes? This is the first restoration I've seen like that.
Yeah, most of the big therizinosaurs had four weight-bearing toes (at least, according to Greg Paul's field guide, which, I know, I know).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

brettnj

I'm easily disappointed.

Out of a five figure set, one is a repaint of a figure issued earlier this year.

To my eye, the theri looks poorly handled.  And, as I didn't like the DT version either, if we were getting another, I'd have hoped to have liked it.

I like the other three, particularly the tamba and the croc, which shows how far the company is capable of moving toward realism (when compared to the DT rutiodon) when its best sculptors give it their all.

I also don't like the move toward softer plastic and solid or more simple (2 or 3 pieces) model figures.  They have a much more toylike, less sophisticated connotation to me.

Megalosaurus

I don't like they reused the pteranodon.
I don't like the color choice for the therizinosaurus. It looks like a bear.
The other 3 are ok.
Anyway I'll end buying the entire set.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

brettnj

I told another member earlier today that I hadn't studied dinosaurs for a few decades when I first saw Dinotales.

I had no idea the therizinosaurus existed and I thought the figure was a sort of monster from a Godzilla era film.  Now I know the theri exists and I think the new figure looks like a monster from a Godzilla era film...

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 02, 2015, 04:09:51 PM
Quote from: Tyrannosauron on October 02, 2015, 04:02:28 PM
Yeah, most of the big therizinosaurs had four weight-bearing toes (at least, according to Greg Paul's field guide, which, I know, I know).

Well, I'll be goldurned. I just totally missed the discovery of the Alaskan track. (And I've spent most of my time with Greg Paul's field guide rage-reading the Ornithischian section.)

It really is telling that if this were any other company my first instinct would have been to think that the toy was in error; since it's Kaiyodo I figured that I must be the one who missed something.

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 02, 2015, 03:14:39 PM
Quote from: Chad on October 02, 2015, 02:56:35 PM

Toyotamaphimeia
Fukuiraptor
Pteranodon
Therizinosaurus
Tambatitanis

Yep, think you nailed it. I believe that also knocks Tambatitanis off the unique species list.

And contrary to an opinion expressed above, I don't think this set is disappointing at all. Two of these are animals Kaiyodo has never tackled, and except for the Pteranodon, they're all new sculpts.

I'll wait with removing Tambatitanis from the list until it's available. A lot can still happen. The end of the world for instance. :)

But hey, if it happens, the croc can immediately take its place! How convenient.

I have little qualms with this set. Interesting species, decent sculpts, fair paint jobs. Not as stunning as some other Kaiyodo sets, but definitely more interesting than their last few prehistorically themed sets.

sauroid

is the Tambatitanis the same Tamba sauropod that Favorite made recently?
for me: softer plastic material means more durable/lasting than the former material Kaiyodo used. as long as they sculpt and paint their figures the same way (excellently), i dont mind the shift.

Roselaar

Quote from: sauroid on October 03, 2015, 06:18:17 AM
is the Tambatitanis the same Tamba sauropod that Favorite made recently?

No, it's a different figure.

But yes, it's the same species. :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: