News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo Dinotales figures, collecting and reference

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, June 28, 2012, 06:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on February 26, 2014, 09:38:04 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on February 26, 2014, 04:40:45 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on February 26, 2014, 02:23:52 PM
....... is there an official colour variation for the Series 2 Rayonnoceras? .......

There are no official colour variants for the series 2 figures, except for the ones that appeared later in different museum sets. Rayonnoceras was not among them.

So what do I have? A mutation? It certainly isn't discoloration, considering it's paint scheme isn't wholly identical either. The regular version is beige, but I also have a gold one, its dark swirling lines are not in the same places, the shell is much more translucent, and the size of the text under its base is larger.

Which Series 2 figures got museum line variations? I reckon the white Allosaurus is among them?

The Allosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Stegosaurus (reconstructed and skeleton) were all used in later series, like the Jurassic Park limited one. Some of them were also redone as dinometals.

As for a Rayonnoceras with different colours, they wee hand painted to some extent, and even with machines there would be variations. The underlying plastic is translucent, so if the figure has that appearance, it may be that the figure's paint is worn in places (or was not applied properly).

Roselaar

It doesn't seem like paintwear. I guess I better just post pics of the both of them:

As you can see, the position of the black stripes doesn't add up. And even if it is discoloration or paintwear, that still doesn't explain the bigger printed text on the base.

Seijun

Probably just an earlier version. I have had kaiyodos before that were like this. Like slightly different markings, or the connecting bits were a little different.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

SBell

Quote from: Seijun on February 28, 2014, 12:15:32 AM
Probably just an earlier version. I have had kaiyodos before that were like this. Like slightly different markings, or the connecting bits were a little different.

Or more than one mold was used in production. I don't think it is a specific variation that can be identified. Unless there is something different on the base--usually htey give the name Kaiyodo and the item number.

Roselaar

That's probably it. I've seen this before on my pair of Suchomimus, which feature the same colours but a different paint scheme. The stronger differences with the Rayonnoceras just bugged me, but I'll buy this explanation.  :)

sauroid

Quote from: Roselaar on February 28, 2014, 09:40:37 PM

That's probably it. I've seen this before on my pair of Suchomimus, which feature the same colours but a different paint scheme. The stronger differences with the Rayonnoceras just bugged me, but I'll buy this explanation.  :)
like these two Kaiyodo Suchomimus? (one has black feet and they're supposed to be of the same variant)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SBell

Quote from: sauroid on March 07, 2014, 12:52:58 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on February 28, 2014, 09:40:37 PM

like these two Kaiyodo Suchomimus? (one has black feet and they're supposed to be of the same variant)

Yeah, that would be a quality control/painting error or variation, not an official one. The official Suchomimus variant is vrom series 1.2, and is brown.

Roselaar

Yeah, that one. Though neither of my two red Suchos has black feet. Rather a variable figure this one. :)

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on March 07, 2014, 09:15:56 PM
Yeah, that one. Though neither of my two red Suchos has black feet. Rather a variable figure this one. :)

And yet mine has the red feet, but more defined stripes:

You'd think a place like Japan would have more exacting robots doing the work! ;)

brettnj

In the event anyone here doesn't know, Kaiyodo began producing prehistoric figures again last year, sans the Dinotales name, as part of a larger museum line featuring varyingly themed animal subjects. So far there has been a new t-rex (including feathered versions) set, a ceratopsian set (of which I have one left for sale) and the pending marine animal set in the photo, placing three formerly statically posed subjects in swimming positions--and with one of those sculpted giving birth(!).  I'll be able to get that set for anyone interested as well.

Brett
[email protected]

Ikessauro

Quote from: brettnj on March 30, 2014, 09:47:48 PM
In the event anyone here doesn't know, Kaiyodo began producing prehistoric figures again last year, part of a larger museum line sans the Dinotales name and with variable sets released monthly, starting with a new t-rex (including feathered versions) set, a ceratopsian set (which I have for sale) and a pending marine animal set, placing three formally statically posed subjects in swimming positions--and with one of those sculpted giving birth(!).  I'll be able to get that set for anyone interested as well.

Brett
[email protected]

That is a coll set! I still have to get the Green Triceratops variation and the T.rex variation from the other sets...

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Chad

In the event anyone here doesn't know, Kaiyodo began producing prehistoric figures again last year, part of a larger museum line sans the Dinotales name and with variable sets released monthly, starting with a new t-rex (including feathered versions) set, a ceratopsian set (which I have for sale) and a pending marine animal set, placing three formerly statically posed subjects in swimming positions--and with one of those sculpted giving birth(!).  I'll be able to get that set for anyone interested as well.

Thanks for the great news, Brett. A monthly set from Kaiyodo is about the best news I can think of.  The species they've chosen all look familiar, but can you tell from the packaging which ones they will be definitively? Also, expect a PM from me.

Thanks!

--Chad

Roselaar

I'll be able to get that set for anyone interested as well.

I might very well take you up on that offer. I'm eyeing that Ceratopsian set of yours as well. :)

New Kaiyodosaurs are a very welcome notion, especially if they release them once a month. But I'd even be happy with one set a year!

tyrantqueen

postsaurischian

Wonderful new set :D! Thanks for the info.

I don't think Kaiyodo will release a new prehistoric figures set every month, though.
The first Tyrannosaur set was released in January 2013, followed by the Ceratopsians in October.

brettnj

To clarify (I did some quick and sloppy writing yesterday...), Kaiyodo is releasing at least one set per month of differently themed animal figures. The pending marine life set in the photo will be the third with prehistoric subjects.

Roselaar

Quote from: brettnj on March 31, 2014, 03:52:07 PM
To clarify (I did some quick and sloppy writing yesterday...), Kaiyodo is releasing at least one set per month of differently themed animal figures. The pending marine life set in the photo will be the third with prehistoric subjects.

Oh, so not all released sets will be prehistorically themed? That narrows it down a lot. Good thing too, for our wallets. :)

Patrx

Oh, wow. That marine reptile set looks fantastic.

brettnj

No.  Not to get off topic, but here are some other already released Capsule Q Museum sets:

Pending release:

Simultaneously, Kaiyodo has also been releasing a very good number of aquatic figures, on bottlecaps like Aquatales, but again sans the name.  They are available, from what I can tell, at various aquariums, zoos, etc.  These have been released:

What you will notice, especially with some figures from the aquatic sets, is the occasional extremely subpar sculpting.  As it was explained to me, Japan's best sculptors choose to handle select pieces and others are done by individuals with lesser talents. 

I've been very curious to know how this affects interest/sales.

Brett

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: