News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My customized articulated toys

Started by GrownNerd, July 01, 2012, 12:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrownNerd

I have a large collection of articulated action figures, and I customize many to fill in holes of the collection or to "correct" figures that I think the toy companie didn't make well. Back in 2009 my superhero action figure collecting and customizing intersected with my smaller dinosaur figure collecting. Marvel comics has a couple of characters named Shanna and Kazar, who are modern people living in a hidden prehistoric land. They have a pet sabre tooth tiger named Zabu. The toy company which made the figures for Shanna and Kazar did a terrible job with Zabu, so I had to customize him for my collection. And then I had to customize a foe worthy of Zabu so I made a large, scythe toe dinosaur.

Being based on comic books these creatures are of course wildly inaccurate. The other thing about these customs is that they had to have a high amount of articulation and playability, so correct anatomy further goes out the window in order for the joints to have room to go through their range.

First some WIP shots with the various elements used to customize Zabu the sabre tooth tiger. The labels are parts from other action figures that I used:

Joints cobbled together for the shoulder and hips to give rotational and lateral movement:

A tail joint made from the shoulder joint of another figure, which gives movement in all directions:

A joint from a Bionicle toy put into the head and neck to allow head movement:

The full figure at rough assembly. Here all the joints cobbled from other toys are in place. The next step is to remove bits of plastic that doesn't look like a saber tooth tiger:

Same figure dremeled to rough shape:

Further progress with more shape and fur textures burned into plastic with a soldering iron or sculpted in using Aves Apoxie Sculpt:

Zabu finished in various poses:

And here he's posed with his buddies Kazar and Shanna, which are factory figures.

GrownNerd

Wips of what I call an Ultra-raptor (totally made up name and dino so as to get away with all my inaccuracies):

Construction of the scythe toe:

Frankensteined parts making up the base structure. Then they get dremeled to shape and sculpted over with more detail.

And the Ultra-raptor finished, showing his articulation and posing possibilities.

GrownNerd

And of course I have to pose Zabu and the Ultra-raptor fighting each other.

Since Zabu is a hero in the comics, he has to win of course

And then Shanna and Kazar tame the raptor and they become buddies and play instead of fight

A photo that will drive paleontologists nuts

Jetoar

Good Job  :) !. Your figures have articulated arms and legs such as Revoltech figures  :). Well done again.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Paleona

That's really cool!  And very crafty of you... it must feel good to know you have a true one-of-a-kind figure.   8)
So, do you have a frankenstein box full of random limbs and joints, just waiting to be used?  And do you have any plans of making more articulated dinosaurs?  They're great for posed shots.

postsaurischian

:D  Fantastic job and great pictures too! I'm really enjoying this.
Are you doing comic stories with these? If yes, it would be wonderful if you'd share them here :).

Simon

Fantastic!  You are QUITE the customizer!!  One suggestion - the sabretooth needs some sharp claws!!

GrownNerd

Thanks guys.

Paleona,
Yes I indeed have various boxes with limbs, heads, and bits of other body parts. I used to customize quite a bit so each time I cut up a figure but only use a few parts, I end up with more leftover fodder which just accumulate waiting for the right project. Back when I was doing these two, I intended to adapt what I learned in doing them to a larger size and make a Triceratops and a T-rex, also in 1/12 scale so they'd be compatible with this set. But these took a lot out of me and afterwards I didn't want to tackle the same sort of project that was bigger and would have required mostly scratch built joints since ready made ones that size either don't exist or are hard to come by.

Postsaurishian,
No, I'm not doing comic stories with them. I only did these series of photos to show my chums the various poses they could hit.

Simon,
Claws on the sabretooth was something I wrestled with in the beginning. I couldn't make actual retractible claws so it had to be either a permanently unsheathed look or one where the claws are always greatly extended. In the end I thought it looked more natural without large extended claws. I looked at my cats and videos and photos of lions and tigers in action, and for the most part even when their claws are unsheathed they don't really show from most angles and the cat just looks like it's spreading its paws out large. 

ZoPteryx

Horridus

These are awesome - whod've thought that there was a Spider Man elbow in there...? ;D

Any chance of a feathered nonavian dino in future...? No one's made an articulated one, would be amazing.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Sharptooth

WOW, they are awesome indeed... Incredible, didn't know it was possible to customize action figures to such degree    8)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

DinoToyForum

Takama

Amazing work. and I am inpressed on how you were able to use varius joints from alot of other toys (Especieally the Bionicle piece, May Mata Nui bless your work :P)

postsaurischian

I'd love to see more of those, especially Marvel silver age characters (I suspect that you have made some of those)!
We have an Other toys and collectibles section in case you don't dare to show them here :).

Gryphoceratops

This is so cool!  Very resourceful stuff!

jweber26

WOW, WOW, WOW!

As a fellow customizer, I am amazed! That is beautiful and fantastic work. Very inspiring. I customize McFarlane NFL figures but want to expand into dinosaurs. I've just realized that I cannot let my wife through away any more of the kids' broken toys!

GrownNerd

Thanks everyone. Your comments are very kind.

Now to something different, not a dinosaur but I did use the head of a Papo Spinosaurus so there's at least some relevance to dinosaur subject matter.

Fantasy anthropomorphic warriors are a favorite subject of mine ever since I was a kid. From things like Battle Beasts, Stan Winston's Realm of the Claw, Chronicles of Narnia stuff, the Four Horsemen's 7th Kingdom project, and a host of others that have appeared in cartoons and fiction through the ages, there's just something about manimals that makes me at least stop for awhile to look at the product. Some time ago I started making my some of my own, because I wanted a set that had a unified scale and style.

Since the Papo Spinosaurus has such a crocodile-like head, I cannibalized it and the tail for my crocodile warrior. I guess you can even think of it as an anthropomorphic Spinosaurus too, but for my collection he's a croc since it fits into the scale of my other anthro customs.

First, a wip. The main body is from the DC Direct line of a character named Croc, who is a Batman villain. He was pretty well articulated from waist and above. His legs though weren't well articulated. They had the swivel hips which can only move front and back, hinged knees, and solid ankles. With limb articulation, if you want different poses you usually have to go all the way with the joints, making the hips have front/back, side/side, and rotational motion. The knees would also have to hinge, and ankles as well. If you only have swivel hips, hinged knees, and solid ankles, you might as well not have those joints because there's no way to pose him naturally when the ankle is frozen in place or when the hips can't swing out for a wider stance. So I replace in the crotch, hip, thighs, and ankles so that the lower body has a full set of articulation, then added the Spinosaurus head and tail. Being that I didn't have to adhere to any set costume design, I took advantage of that and made the costume in a way so that I didn't have to resculpt the added in joint areas much.

And here's the finish. The main body and limbs of the original factory figure was so well painted that I only needed some drybrushing to make it and the repainted head flow with each other.

I have other fantasy anthropomorphic animal warriors, but they're not dinosaur based so I don't know if it's appropriate to put in this forum.

Himmapaan

I'm late in commenting, but I can only echo what others have already said: amazing work! Really ingenious use of such disparate parts and such obvious care in the craftsmanship.

Takama

Quote from: GrownNerd on July 07, 2012, 01:56:55 AM
Thanks everyone. Your comments are very kind.

Now to something different, not a dinosaur but I did use the head of a Papo Spinosaurus so there's at least some relevance to dinosaur subject matter.

Fantasy anthropomorphic warriors are a favorite subject of mine ever since I was a kid. From things like Battle Beasts, Stan Winston's Realm of the Claw, Chronicles of Narnia stuff, the Four Horsemen's 7th Kingdom project, and a host of others that have appeared in cartoons and fiction through the ages, there's just something about manimals that makes me at least stop for awhile to look at the product. Some time ago I started making my some of my own, because I wanted a set that had a unified scale and style.

Since the Papo Spinosaurus has such a crocodile-like head, I cannibalized it and the tail for my crocodile warrior. I guess you can even think of it as an anthropomorphic Spinosaurus too, but for my collection he's a croc since it fits into the scale of my other anthro customs.

First, a wip. The main body is from the DC Direct line of a character named Croc, who is a Batman villain. He was pretty well articulated from waist and above. His legs though weren't well articulated. They had the swivel hips which can only move front and back, hinged knees, and solid ankles. With limb articulation, if you want different poses you usually have to go all the way with the joints, making the hips have front/back, side/side, and rotational motion. The knees would also have to hinge, and ankles as well. If you only have swivel hips, hinged knees, and solid ankles, you might as well not have those joints because there's no way to pose him naturally when the ankle is frozen in place or when the hips can't swing out for a wider stance. So I replace in the crotch, hip, thighs, and ankles so that the lower body has a full set of articulation, then added the Spinosaurus head and tail. Being that I didn't have to adhere to any set costume design, I took advantage of that and made the costume in a way so that I didn't have to resculpt the added in joint areas much.

And here's the finish. The main body and limbs of the original factory figure was so well painted that I only needed some drybrushing to make it and the repainted head flow with each other.

I have other fantasy anthropomorphic animal warriors, but they're not dinosaur based so I don't know if it's appropriate to put in this forum.

So your the one who made this amazeing figure that i saw while google searching for Papo Dinosaurs :o

Gryphoceratops

I for sure would like to see the other animal type figures!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: