News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Could Pterosaurs Swim?

Started by Cloud the Dinosaur King, May 07, 2017, 04:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud the Dinosaur King

I am wondering, could pterosaurs swim? I've heard in some books that their pycnofibers would weigh them down, but the spent most of their time at sea(minus a few like the azdarchids). Also, the probably fed a lot like modern seabirds. Also, they may have had webbed feet and fingers to help with swimming. Even if the pycnofibers did weigh them down, sea-based pterosaurs probably had less pycnofibers and also may have also had a preening gland like seabirds that made their pycnofibers(which may have been feathers) water-resistant. Also, the Pteros website has a picture of a Pteranodon swimming alongside a couple Hesperornis. Pteros is a very reliable pterosaur website. I suggest you check it out. http://www.pteros.com/

suspsy

Yes, they could swim. Mark Witton devotes a section to it in his 2013 book about pterosaurs.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: suspsy on May 07, 2017, 04:19:54 AM
Yes, they could swim. Mark Witton devotes a section to it in his 2013 book about pterosaurs.
Could you tell me the name of the book?

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on May 07, 2017, 04:22:34 AM
Quote from: suspsy on May 07, 2017, 04:19:54 AM
Could you tell me the name of the book?
Nevermind. I need this book!

suspsy

Yes, you do. It's an excellent book filled with fantastic art.

Dinoguy2

Yeah they could probably swim very well and some might even have been divers. Not sure pycnofibers would have made a difference. Plenty of animals swim just fine with fur or feathers, even downy feathers which are most similar to pycnofibers (think baby ducks). Pterosaurs were so filled with air sacs it would take a whole lot to sink one!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

stargatedalek

It's so difficult for feathers to become waterlogged it really only happens when birds want it to happen or when they get attacked. I've heard that frigates have a lot of difficulty flying when wet but then I've also seen bald eagles dive into the spray from boats to steal stunned fish only to emerge nearly drenched and fly off, so among birds that don't naturally dive there seems to be a lot of variation.

spinosaurus1

they would of been pretty decent swimmers. their even capable of quad launching off the waters surface

BlueKrono

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 07, 2017, 06:13:49 PM
It's so difficult for feathers to become waterlogged it really only happens when birds want it to happen or when they get attacked. I've heard that frigates have a lot of difficulty flying when wet but then I've also seen bald eagles dive into the spray from boats to steal stunned fish only to emerge nearly drenched and fly off, so among birds that don't naturally dive there seems to be a lot of variation.

I think of bald eagles as strong fliers though. Could pterosaurs even fly? I thought they were just gliders. I'd be very surprised if they could take off from the surface.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CityRaptor

Well, that is a rather outdated view of Pterosaurs.  You know the one that has them a terrible flyers and clumsy on the ground that was there a few decades ago. Yes, they could fly.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 07, 2017, 06:54:34 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on May 07, 2017, 06:13:49 PM

I think of bald eagles as strong fliers though. Could pterosaurs even fly? I thought they were just gliders. I'd be very surprised if they could take off from the surface.

Such notions fell out of favour a long, long time ago. Pterosaurs were not just flyers; they were excellent flyers. They could take to the air from the ground faster than a good many modern birds can. Again, read Mark Witton's book or follow his blog. He's probably the foremost pterosaur expert in the world.

WarrenJB

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 07, 2017, 06:54:34 PMCould pterosaurs even fly? I thought they were just gliders.

You need a good modern book on pterosaurs. I think Mark Witton has one out. ;D ;)

The topic makes me wonder if regularly-diving and swimming pterosaurs had any method of oiling or otherwise waterproofing their pycnofibres, like modern birds. Would the latter have the same effect, or would there be any need? The complex structure of feathers vs. pycnofibres makes me think not, but I'm no expert. I also haven't read enough about pycnofibres to speculate about a mammalian-like water-repellent underlayer - if there's that much available knowledge about pycnofibres in the scientific literature.

BlueKrono

The 2013 one? It's been on my Amazon wishlist for a couple months now, for the illustrations alone. My knowledge of pterosaurs is probably about fifth grade level - other prehistoric groups have more captured my attention. It sounds good though... I wonder if there's a comparable one on marine reptiles?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Lanthanotus

I know of no book, but you might be interested in the University of Alberta course on Coursera, very solid and easy access information there.

Neosodon

It don't think any pterosuars could swim proficiently at least not the big ones.  Some smaller ones may have been able to dive for a fish just a little ways beneath the surface but a larger pterosaur like an Ornithocheirus would probably just brake its long fragile wings on the waters surface. Even if Ornithocheirus managed to dive into the ocean after a fish without breaking its wings it would still move slowly and awkwardly from the drag. Not to mention they would be a sitting duck for a passing mosasaur.  Birds have feathers which are strong and flexible and the water can flow in between them.  Pterosaurs were built for effortless soaring. Their long necks and beaks could easily snatch an unsuspecting fish just beneath the surface without having to submerge itself entirely.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Neosodon on May 08, 2017, 12:18:53 AM
It don't think any pterosuars could swim proficiently at least not the big ones.  Some smaller ones may have been able to dive for a fish just a little ways beneath the surface but a larger pterosaur like an Ornithocheirus would probably just brake its long fragile wings on the waters surface. Even if Ornithocheirus managed to dive into the ocean after a fish without breaking its wings it would still move slowly and awkwardly from the drag. Not to mention they would be a sitting duck for a passing mosasaur.  Birds have feathers which are strong and flexible and the water can flow in between them.  Pterosaurs were built for effortless soaring. Their long necks and beaks could easily snatch an unsuspecting fish just beneath the surface without having to submerge itself entirely.

Pterosaur wings were actually pretty thick. They were about as thick as the arms and less like leather. They also had tissue in them to help thicken them.

spinosaurus1

i recomend reading this
http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com/2011/11/water-launching-pterosaurs.html

pterosaur wings are FAR from frail. large pterosaurs would have been able to generate so much force that they can effectively hulk smash, i mean, quad launch themselves out of a body of water. some of the largest azhdarchids would of had arms almost as wide as a human waist and the wings themselves has various adaptions to improve the overall rigidity. they were far from tissue paper

it is important to note that a large majority of vertebrates on earth are instinctively capable of swimming.

Neosodon

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on May 08, 2017, 12:45:12 AM

Pterosaur wings were actually pretty thick. They were about as thick as the arms and less like leather. They also had tissue in them to help thicken them.
By brake I don't mean tear. If a large pterasaur tried to dive in the water at high speeds it's massive wings would be yanked back by the surface tension and the joints in the wing could become dislocated.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

CityRaptor

Eh, wouldn't they fold their wings if they dive, like birds do?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

spinosaurus1

while i would say that i agree that it pretty likely that the largest pterosaurs such as azhdarchid wouldn't be diving for fish, pterosaurs like Ornithocheirus or pteranodon are no heavier then the largest flying birds, which were pelagic might i add. simply folding the wings while initiating a dive would reduce drag and water resistance. these actions can be seen in both birds and bats.

either way being able to dive =/= swimming capability. pterosaurs, while obviously not particularly too reliant on it, they were likely decent swimmers.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: