You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A Good 1:30/1:35 Apatosaurus/Diplodocus?

Started by danmalcolm, June 02, 2017, 02:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danmalcolm

I've looked all over and haven't found anything that isn't too small or insanely expensive. Current stand in is the Papo apato, which I like the look of but is much too small! Any suggestions on what's out there? Thanks in advance.

Takama

Unfoutanatly, There are no models of those species being made in toy form in this day and age.

Though I think its safe to say that the Carnegie 2008 Diplodocus is in 1:35 scale.   

amargasaurus cazaui

errr.....I was under the distinct impression Safari just released a rather eloquent Diplodocus...........................the Battat is a nice model but tends to be ...."spendy"
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

RobinGoodfellow

A Diplodocus at 1:35 scale should be 95cm long ( 37 inches); a figure that big couldn't be cheap, even if in toy form.. ???

(At 1:30 = over 1 meter / 40 inches . Simply too much... )

Shonisaurus

The second Carnegie diplodocus version can be found at some online stores. As for apatosaurus is the Favorite version that sold Dejankinds but is no longer. You can also search for eBay. The best version is the diplodocus of Battat but on the eBay market it is very rare to find it and costs a whopping 400 dollars.  :(

Jetdin

a nicely sized 1:35 dippy would be the sean cooper diplodocus which is a resin kit. but because its a resin kit its expensive. the next one in line would be the safari carnegie 2008 diplodocus. which is hard to find nowadays, but pops up on ebay once in a while. i got one earlier this year on ebay, albeit with a broken tail tip but at least it was cheap hehe

terrorchicken

eh, there the Toyway British Museum diplo...its not very well liked but...I like it & have it.

there's also the retro Invicta sauropods.

I dont think they are the size you're looking for though...

Halichoeres

I think the Carnegie 2008 Diplodocus is the best one out there. I heretically believe it is better than the Battat.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

postsaurischian

Diplodocus:
At 1:35 I'd highly recommend the Mo Models Diplodocus (Sean Cooper). It's slightly larger than the Carnegie figure.
See here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1893.msg54796#msg54796
At the moment it's EUR 139 at Urzeitshop / Germany. I don't think that's too expensive for a model like that.

Of course: Battat! (could still be 1:35) I got mine three years ago for USD 75, but it took a few years of watching and waiting for the right moment.

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on June 02, 2017, 03:09:10 PM
A Diplodocus at 1:35 scale should be 95cm long ( 37 inches); a figure that big couldn't be cheap, even if in toy form.. ???

That beast would have been over 33 m long :o. Where and when did they find such one? Never heard of it.

Apatosaurus:
I know it's an unusual recommendation by me, but I'd recommend the 2009 Schleich Apatosaurus ;D.
It's not accurate in many ways, but it has its charm and is nicely sculpted and .... it's in about 1:30 - a very big figure for the toy industry.
http://dmf.kinolulu.com/db/images/img_library/schleich_apatosaurus_2009.jpg

If you're into retro models, the Horizon Apatosaurus could be an option: http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/apatosaurus1large.html

Neosodon

Even the carnegie diplodacus is like a 1:41. If you really want a 1:30 scale diplodacus the best way to go about it may be to make your own. ;)

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Fenestra

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 02, 2017, 08:10:20 PM
Diplodocus:
At 1:35 I'd highly recommend the Mo Models Diplodocus (Sean Cooper). It's slightly larger than the Carnegie figure.
See here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1893.msg54796#msg54796
At the moment it's EUR 139 at Urzeitshop / Germany. I don't think that's too expensive for a model like that.

I totally agree. It is a beautiful kit.
But that model has been out of stock at Urzeitshop for quite a while now.

Daspletodave

No way is the Carnegie or Safari Diplodocus even close to 1:35 scale. They are more like 1:50 scale.
The Battat, which is marketed as 1:40 scale, is more like 1:43 scale.

Carnosaur

The old Schleich Apatosaurus was pretty large, but less accurate than more recent figures.
A smaller figure was also available in orange with red markings.

Both are retired now, but you can still find them in some online stores.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Daspletodave on June 02, 2017, 09:53:36 PM
No way is the Carnegie or Safari Diplodocus even close to 1:35 scale. They are more like 1:50 scale.
The thing about this thinking that is .....kind of strange is assuming all specimens of a population would always meet the largest size parameters for a genus regardless species, sex, or age of maturity. It isn't necessary for every toy and model to meet the largest known size of a population nor to represent a fully grown adult is it? They could all easily be in scale and simply represent sex, or age differences, or even smaller members of a population. By example those familiar with psittacosaurus can attest most species were in the six foot range, but there is a single known species suggested to have been nine feet long and we have another species known to be fully mature at around 3 feet long....so 3, 6 or even nine feet.....vast differences within a small size scale ratio for a dinosaur. Would it not also seem likely such variance could exist within a sauropod species?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Jetdin

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 02, 2017, 11:01:27 PM
The thing about this thinking that is .....kind of strange is assuming all specimens of a population would always meet the largest size parameters for a genus regardless species, sex, or age of maturity. It isn't necessary for every toy and model to meet the largest known size of a population nor to represent a fully grown adult is it? They could all easily be in scale and simply represent sex, or age differences, or even smaller members of a population. By example those familiar with psittacosaurus can attest most species were in the six foot range, but there is a single known species suggested to have been nine feet long and we have another species known to be fully mature at around 3 feet long....so 3, 6 or even nine feet.....vast differences within a small size scale ratio for a dinosaur. Would it not also seem likely such variance could exist within a sauropod species?

i have to agree on this one. one MAJOR plus in collecting animal figures is the fact that a smaller figure could just be used to represent a smaller individual. much easier collecting knowing that. very different from say collecting aircraft models, in which all models of the same airframe have to be exactly the same size in a specific given scale which makes it difficult collecting sometimes because to display models together, they need to be in the exact same scale

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 02, 2017, 08:10:20 PM
Diplodocus:

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on June 02, 2017, 03:09:10 PM

That beast would have been over 33 m long :o. Where and when did they find such one? Never heard of it.

..well, from what I have read, Diplodocus carnegii was 25mt (82 ft) and Diplodocus hallorum was 33/32mt (105 ft)....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplodocus )
Maybe wikipedia is wrong (it could be).
Even the smaller D. Carnegii should be 84cm at 1:30.

But, as Amargasaurus said, a figure could show a smaller animal. He's right about that.

postsaurischian

Measured along the spine the Carnegie Diplodocus is 70 cm long.
If this was 1:50 the real animal would have been 35 m long.
I'm not sure if danmalcolm wanted a 1:35 Seismosaurus or Supersaurus (which could be seen as Diplodocus as well - o.k.).
Otherwise we're talking about a total length of about 25 m which would make the Carnegie Diplodocus a 1:35 figure ;).

danmalcolm

You folks are absolutely right that an animal doesn't need to be exactly to scale. I'm okay with a model representing a smaller adult specimen (my papo carno is closer to 1:40 at an "exact scale", but can be displayed as a smaller individual of the species.) The papo apato is still too small for my tastes. I'm alright with apatosaurus being smaller than the stated "max size", but it should at least be taller than a tyrannosaur at the shoulders. This is where for me a lot of the mass produced toys fall short. Even the excellent carnegie diplo, while being almost long enough for my purposes, next to a large theropod doesn't look as imposing as it should due to its ~12cm shoulder height (I haven't measured it myself, correct me if I'm wrong). The sean cooper diplo makes me drool. It's exactly what I'm looking for, but I've never bought a resin kit, and I'm nervous that for the price it's going to be very delicate, since it's made of resin, and afraid that I'll end up breaking it. Especially that long, whip tail. how delicate is resin?

There's also the issue of convincing my wife that 100$+ is reasonable for any dinosaur.

Fenestra

Resin can't take as much bending as plastic of course, but it's not as fragile as ceramics/porcelain as some might think.
There is a certain flexability to the material. 
So even if you have big gorilla shaped hands, don't worry. Resin will still be your friend.  ;D
(And when you do break it, it's always easily fixed with some super glue.)

Jetdin

Quote from: danmalcolm on June 03, 2017, 02:59:43 PM
You folks are absolutely right that an animal doesn't need to be exactly to scale. I'm okay with a model representing a smaller adult specimen (my papo carno is closer to 1:40 at an "exact scale", but can be displayed as a smaller individual of the species.) The papo apato is still too small for my tastes. I'm alright with apatosaurus being smaller than the stated "max size", but it should at least be taller than a tyrannosaur at the shoulders. This is where for me a lot of the mass produced toys fall short. Even the excellent carnegie diplo, while being almost long enough for my purposes, next to a large theropod doesn't look as imposing as it should due to its ~12cm shoulder height (I haven't measured it myself, correct me if I'm wrong). The sean cooper diplo makes me drool. It's exactly what I'm looking for, but I've never bought a resin kit, and I'm nervous that for the price it's going to be very delicate, since it's made of resin, and afraid that I'll end up breaking it. Especially that long, whip tail. how delicate is resin?

There's also the issue of convincing my wife that 100$+ is reasonable for any dinosaur.

i myself bought the sean cooper resin kit argentinosaurus. as commissioning an artist to finish the piece for me beautifully was too much money for my budget ( seeing that the unfinished kit itself was already expensive) i decided to just give it colour myself and im happy the way it turned out.
but some joint points like the mid part of the tail which is smaller and whiplike have detached with a small bit of force, but nothing a bit of superglue cant fix.
but if you really love diplodocus, the way i really love argentinosaurus, it may be worth it to go for the kit as the fine details in resin kits are something you cant get in those mass produced pieces

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: