News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Floz Dinosaurs

Started by stoneage, June 16, 2017, 06:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneage

Roselaar

Bootleg company. They use molds from Schleich, Papo and Safari.

Their Parasaurolophus is a guilty pleasure though. Combining the best of both worlds.

stoneage

Quote from: Roselaar on June 16, 2017, 07:15:56 PM
Bootleg company. They use molds from Schleich, Papo and Safari.

Their Parasaurolophus is a guilty pleasure though. Combining the best of both worlds.

What about the quality of the figures?

CityRaptor

Also saw them under the names DeAO, Globo Toys and Pretex. And yes, Amazon sells them.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

postsaurischian

:o What! Amazon is supporting those bootleggers?    ..... The world is out of joint :P.

stargatedalek

I'm just gonna say it, I'm done pretending I'm better than this. I'm gonna go ahead and place a big order with this company, get myself all of the REBOR and Schleich figures that I was never going to get at the asking price, and maybe a few extra Papos and Dinostars for customizing. When I do I'll review them in-depth for anyone curious about detail and material quality.

I was never going to drop four times what these cost on REBOR or Schleich products, so it's not like they're actually loosing my business if I buy cheaper bootlegs because they never had my business to begin with.

Lanthanotus

When I travelled Australia the last winter I did not see a single original figure in the major shops, just bootlegs. Often copies of figures from different companies were packed together, I saw "Papo", "CollectA", "Safari" and "Schleich" and at least the Schleich copies actually looked better than the original, can't say same for the others, however, my impression was it was mostly the often comparably sloppy paint job that made the difference, not the mold (some with articulated jaws as the "Papo" juvenile Rex).

I am not fond of bootlegs, but I have to admit I am tempted to get the Tenonto carcass...

Reptilia

They used the Indominus sculpt from the JW limited edition gift set and they called it Carcharodontosaurus, that's dreadful. I didn't click on the auction but ain't the Pentaceratops simply the Schleich catalogue image?

sauroid

the REBOR bootlegs are very tempting
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Bucklander

I have a few accidental bootlegs in my collection (snuck in, in lots usually) but I would urge anyone who reads this to resist purposefully buying bootlegs. Bootleggers are thieves. To give them your money is to support them. I get not liking certain companies (Rebor, Schleich) because of their business practices or their general behavior, but to buy their sculpts from a bootlegging company is like saying to a robber, "I don't care if you rob that person because he/she is an ass". And further "once you've broken into their home and stolen their stuff, I'll happily buy it from you". The thing is, theft is theft. And once we begin to compromise our morals, we are walking on a very slippery slope. No matter how good a figure is (and let's face it, the reason for reluctance when buying these figures from their proper companies, is that none of them is that good that they warrant the price) it's not worth your integrity. Please people, make a conscious choice to boycott stolen property.   

tanystropheus

The texture quality is muddy on most of these. I suppose they are good for modding and building dioramas.  The Tapejara is the standout piece. And, yes, the Schleich/Papo Para hybrid is tempting...

tanystropheus

Quote from: Bucklander on June 17, 2017, 03:28:06 PM
I have a few accidental bootlegs in my collection (snuck in, in lots usually) but I would urge anyone who reads this to resist purposefully buying bootlegs. Bootleggers are thieves. To give them your money is to support them. I get not liking certain companies (Rebor, Schleich) because of their business practices or their general behavior, but to buy their sculpts from a bootlegging company is like saying to a robber, "I don't care if you rob that person because he/she is an ass". And further "once you've broken into their home and stolen their stuff, I'll happily buy it from you". The thing is, theft is theft. And once we begin to compromise our morals, we are walking on a very slippery slope. No matter how good a figure is (and let's face it, the reason for reluctance when buying these figures from their proper companies, is that none of them is that good that they warrant the price) it's not worth your integrity. Please people, make a conscious choice to boycott stolen property.   

I think collectors will not be satiated by bootlegs, because there is a huge quality difference (for the most part). Superficially, the bootlegs resemble the originals. The problem is that kids (and non-hobbyist parents) can hardly tell them apart. Hence, all the positive reviews on Amazon.

Roselaar

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 17, 2017, 04:07:42 PM
The Tapejara is the standout piece.

Still stolen from Dinostar, just like the Psittacosaurus.

Where did they steal the Dimorphodon from? Kinda looks like the new Collecta Supreme figure...

stargatedalek

I think there's a large difference between buying a bootleg to save money, and buying a bootleg because you would never have bought the original anyway. It's not like I wouldn't buy from REBOR or Schleich because they're scummy but would be willing to buy bootlegs, that's just silly. This is just about money, and it's not even money saved, because I would never have bought the originals (or already did).

postsaurischian

Absolutely true! But I'm afraid non-artists will never understand what it means when someone steals your ideas and makes money out of it.
And for the younger generations it's only the money that counts anyway. So I guess this trend won't stop.

stargatedalek

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 17, 2017, 08:04:17 PM

Absolutely true! But I'm afraid non-artists will never understand what it means when someone steals your ideas and makes money out of it.
And for the younger generations it's only the money that counts anyway. So I guess this trend won't stop.
I don't mean offense when I say this, but please try to keep in mind the difference that price can mean to someone who only rarely will have even $100 of disposable income at any given point.

I can't speak for Europe, but in North America minimum wage is despicably low, lower so than most people's costs of maintaining a "normal" life. Owning a car, let alone a house, and also eating is impossible to do on a minimum wage job (even a full time one, which are rare) unless you receive financial assistance. And I don't want to play victim here but it's worth pointing out that it's even harder for women and LGBT persons. "Young people" are under a lot more financial duress than young people were in previous decades. A lot of people can't even afford real food from grocery stores, they live on fast food. Saving $30 may not seem like a lot to you but for someone else that could be the difference between buying something one month, or the month after next.

I would consider myself an artist, not a particularly successful one by any means, but an artist. Would I be annoyed if someone copied something I made and sold it for less than I could? Yes I would be, but I would never take it out on anyone who purchased the cheaper alternative just because they wanted to save money. Shaming people for prioritizing their own livelihood isn't ok to do.

This is an expensive hobby, not only expensive but fluctuating. Companies discontinue products without warning and limited distributions abound on all corners of the globe. It's very important to recognize the potential financial situations of others and that it's unreasonable to expect someone who can barely spare the money to buy a few toys to share the same sensibilities as someone who can afford resin kits costing hundreds of dollars.

Neosodon

Since bootlegs - at least the ones in the op are hardly much cheaper I think availability is the only real excuse for buying them. A bootleg of a discontinued model is not as bad.

I don't think it's worth sacrificing my principles to to save a couple bucks on a model that is not even as good as the original. Eating beans, rice and lentils for a couple days will easily make up the difference. There are plenty of legitimate models out there that are very affordable as long as you know were to get them.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Bucklander

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 17, 2017, 08:55:14 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on June 17, 2017, 08:04:17 PM

I don't mean offense when I say this, but please try to keep in mind the difference that price can mean to someone who only rarely will have even $100 of disposable income at any given point.

I can't speak for Europe, but in North America minimum wage is despicably low, lower so than most people's costs of maintaining a "normal" life. Owning a car, let alone a house, and also eating is impossible to do on a minimum wage job (even a full time one, which are rare) unless you receive financial assistance. And I don't want to play victim here but it's worth pointing out that it's even harder for women and LGBT persons. "Young people" are under a lot more financial duress than young people were in previous decades. A lot of people can't even afford real food from grocery stores, they live on fast food. Saving $30 may not seem like a lot to you but for someone else that could be the difference between buying something one month, or the month after next.

I would consider myself an artist, not a particularly successful one by any means, but an artist. Would I be annoyed if someone copied something I made and sold it for less than I could? Yes I would be, but I would never take it out on anyone who purchased the cheaper alternative just because they wanted to save money. Shaming people for prioritizing their own livelihood isn't ok to do.

This is an expensive hobby, not only expensive but fluctuating. Companies discontinue products without warning and limited distributions abound on all corners of the globe. It's very important to recognize the potential financial situations of others and that it's unreasonable to expect someone who can barely spare the money to buy a few toys to share the same sensibilities as someone who can afford resin kits costing hundreds of dollars.

Stargatedalek, please let me start by saying, I in no way am trying to (or have any desire to) shame you or anyone else. I've seen far too many fights and disagreements break out on this forum since I joined, and it always seems to me completely unnecessary. Although I don't know you personally (only from your posts on this forum) I would like to say, I like you very much. You are a highly intelligent, well informed member and I derive much satisfaction from your input. It's funny, although I don't contribute much, this forum sometimes feels a little bit like home as I spend so much time reading other peoples comments. There are quite a few members I feel very fond of, and although I (sincerely) wish nothing but the best for every member here, there are of course those who become "favorites".

Now I hope I sound neither pompous, nor too much like Grandpa Simpson when I say I am old enough (51 in August) to remember better times. When I was growing up in the 70s, a house on a quarter acre block could be paid off in 25 years or less from a single income (and people seemed so much happier). Today, 2 adults working full time cannot repay the loan for a house on a quarter the land in their entire lifetime. I myself live below the poverty line and I recognize that there are so very many who are far worse off than me.

Of course the reasons for this economic decline are many (though nowhere near as complex as I once thought (the Central Banking System (in the US - the Federal Reserve Act and accompanying legislation 1913) and Globalization are the main culprits) so I'm not trying to suggest that the example I give below was the sole cause, but it cannot be ignored as a very real contributing factor...

Through the 1980s, as all the Chinese two dollar shops opened across Australia, I begged and pleaded with family and friends not to buy stuff from them. "But it's so cheap!" was the response, usually followed by "I can't afford the same items in Australian owned stores".

Trouble is, when a country like Australia (or the US, or the UK, or any European country) with decent industrial relations and environmental laws competes with a third world (or communist) country that is unconstrained by those laws, it inevitably loses. I would try to point out to people that if we didn't support local industry, AND REFUSE TO SUPPORT cheaper alternatives from OS, we would drive prices from domestic producers down (short term - good for consumers) but that this would force manufacturers to move abroad, thus causing increased unemployment and increasing foreign spending and debt, resulting in a poorer economy. Eventually, the public will have as much difficulty purchasing the cheap imported stuff as a couple of generations before, they had buying high quality locally manufactured products. Whether it be cars, computers or what not. The goal should have been to raise poorer nations standards of living, not to reduce ours. Alas, shortsighted greed blinded everyone to the long term consequences of our combined and ongoing actions.

I said before, that I like you Stargatedalek. It is because I care about you (and all other DTF members) - your long term welfare, not the tenuous and fleeting pleasure of holding a cheap plastic imitation figure (believe me, it won't last - the pleasure) that I wrote that plea. I may be wrong, in assuming you probably don't believe in the existence of a soul. Not sure I do, myself. But I do believe in personal integrity. And I know (from personal experience) that the loss of integrity leads to a far greater sadness, confusion and impoverishment than the loss of income, or even a smaller collection of dinosaur (and other prehistoric) animal figures.

Finally, I would repeat - every dollar we give to thieves, rewards them and encourages them. How would it be, if one day, our children inherit a world where Safari and Papo and Collecta (and yes even Schleich and Rebor) no longer exist, because they could not compete with the bootleggers. The clarion call needs to be sounded. Buy not cheap imitations! Hold fast your souls! And let us spread the word to those who don't know better (parents, shopkeepers, friends and family). The aim should be to see these PIRATE industries punished and run out of business, not to help them flourish! Let us all band together as a united force - Dinosaur Enthusiasts Against Dinosaur PIRATES! ;D   

stargatedalek

I absolutely respect that perspective, and in a perfect world bootlegging would not exist to be sure, but I still stand by what I said. If I wanted the real counterparts, I would buy them, many of these I already have bought the originals, but I can't bring myself to buy an $80 figure from REBOR just to end up chopping it up and repainting it. Bootlegging is wrong, as Neosodon said earlier discontinued products is a definite grey area, but competing with existing products is simply, quantifiably, wrong. Despite this I will still maintain that my advice is for everyone to find their own balance between means and morality that allows them to maintain a healthy life in both regards.

I actually hadn't meant that in reply to you, but rather in reply to the perceived tone of postsaurischians comment. I didn't find anything you said to have been judgemental at all.

postsaurischian

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 17, 2017, 08:55:14 PM

I can't speak for Europe, but in North America minimum wage is despicably low, lower so than most people's costs of maintaining a "normal" life. Owning a car, let alone a house, and also eating is impossible to do on a minimum wage job.

Saving $30 may not seem like a lot to you but for someone else that could be the difference between buying something one month, or the month after next.

I would never take it out on anyone who purchased the cheaper alternative just because they wanted to save money. Shaming people for prioritizing their own livelihood isn't ok to do.

You're judging people you don't really know.
As a male nurse on an oncologic station I'm working very hard for my money and it's not a well-paid job in Germany (by the way - much better paid in the U.S.). Saving $30 does mean a lot to me. It's just that I'm passing on a lot of other things - no family, no car, no house, no mobile phone, no washing machine, etc. etc. I don't care about my pension fund, since I think I won't be getting too old anyway. I'm loving music, art & Dinosaurs. That's where all my money goes. That is kind of crazy, but it's my lifestyle which lets you misrepresent me as a bigwig. If you'd really know me, you'd aggree with me how ridiculous that is ;D. I'm a 50 year old hippie guy who's wearing his shoes for many years until they fall off. I wouldn't buy new shoes before that happens.

Everyone has to  prioritise and I didn't shame anybody. That's your interpretation.
Believe me, I was also tempted to buy one of those Shane Foulkes bootlegs that were offered some time ago (because these are normally out of my price range), but I didn't. Just for moral reasons. I wouldn't shame someone who would, but supporting criminals to me still has an immoral touch. Sorry, that's the way I see it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: