News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Forgot to mention the Therizinosaurus, which looks better with these new colours.

AcroSauroTaurus

Wow... they all look amazing(except the rex, Carno, and raptor) I'm glad I waited on getting the Theri, it looks so much better in that coloration.(despite how inaccurate the sculpt may be) This is probably Schleichs best year yet.

Triceratops: Their best Trike yet, looks almost perfect.(We can't see the hands in front view yet, so the accurate hands is to be determined)

Oviraptor: Actually a Citipati(like most Oviraptor figures) but still really good, they got the arm feathering right and it looks like the two longer fingers are connected(which I think is supposed to be accurate?)

Dinogorgon: Perfect, and they didn't put scales on it!

Therizinosaurus: Looks much better in these colors.

Psittacosaurus: Amazing, quadrupedal posture is unlikely right? But still a good figure.

Tawa: Its good, could've left out the feathers, but we don't know so its nice speculation.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Sim

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on August 25, 2017, 12:16:17 AM
Oviraptor: Actually a Citipati(like most Oviraptor figures) but still really good, they got the arm feathering right and it looks like the two longer fingers are connected(which I think is supposed to be accurate?)

Citipati is only Citipati osmolskae, which as far as I know has never been made into a figure.  The oviraptorosaur you're thinking of, which has been made into a figure a number of times usually under the name "Oviraptor", is the unnamed 100/42 specimen.  It has at times in the past been considered to be Oviraptor, or Citipati, but it actually hasn't been demonstrated to belong in any existing oviraptorosaur genus, as explained here: http://theropoddatabase.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/citipati-or-igm-10042.html

Patrx

The Psittacosaurus, gorgonopsid, and the Oviraptor do actually look surprisingly good. Still not, in all likelihood, good enough for me to buy, but surprising.

ItsTwentyBelow

Woah, Schleich really stepped it up for next year. Very nice surprise, maybe a "Most Improved" award? 2018 is probably going to be their best year since 2005!

The "Oviraptor" is very well sculpted with the feathers (for Schleich), but it needs COLOR. Am I actually seeing that its hands are the same flat gray color as the plumage? Still, a must-have.

Dinogorgon is awesome, and pretty accurate. Not only will this be the 2nd widely released model of a gorgonopsid, but it's also a unique species for our collections! I feel weird saying it, but I think this figure has a much cooler pose than the Safari Inostrancevia. I hope someone does Lycaenops at some point.

Psittacosaurus is nicely done. We know it was a primarily bipedal animal, but I think it's unlikely to assume that its hands never touched the ground, so I'm cool with it.

The Tawa is interesting because while Schleich definitely used that picture for reference, they also improved upon a few of its inaccuracies, such as correcting the pronated wrists and the rubber tail. The skull also looks better on the figure. The clown-shoe feet nearly ruin it, but you can be sure that your figure will stand up at least. A unique Triassic species, so I'm going to consider this one.

Triceratops gets an honorable mention because it is Schleich's best attempt at one. The stripes on it though, are just weird.

Everything else we've seen is garbage. I love Carnotaurus, and Schleich has done so many, but I really think their little blue one is still the best for now.

Daspletotyrannus

Weird saying this.... but.... I think I might try and get some of these.  I keep schleich out of my collection.  I only have a few because I wanted the 1:40 scale human and the Dinosaurs are in a box.  I want to try and get  the Dinogorgon and the Psittacosaurus, maybe the Oviraptor. I will wait for the reviews on them before I really decide on them.

stargatedalek

I actually love all of these, even the Therizinosaurus repaint. Only the Psittacosaurus seems particularly accurate to me (gonna wait for our resident expert to chime in on that one!) but these are overall an immense improvement. Not just in terms of realism but also stylistically.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Sim on August 25, 2017, 12:42:09 AM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on August 25, 2017, 12:16:17 AM

Citipati is only Citipati osmolskae, which as far as I know has never been made into a figure.  The oviraptorosaur you're thinking of, which has been made into a figure a number of times usually under the name "Oviraptor", is the unnamed 100/42 specimen.  It has at times in the past been considered to be Oviraptor, or Citipati, but it actually hasn't been demonstrated to belong in any existing oviraptorosaur genus, as explained here: http://theropoddatabase.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/citipati-or-igm-10042.html

Ah, forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder!
I am the Dinosaur King!

Flaffy

Is Schleich actually producing decent figures this year?
I'm surprised, maybe because I set my expectations real low.
Really digging the Dinogorgon, the Psittacosaurus sculpt is very good, but it's paint scheme is just asking to be repainted.
The Tawa is a shame, a big improvement from the Herrera, but it's oversized feet and random tuffs of feathers are offputting.
The rest are average, I think I'll stick with just the Dinogorgon from this batch.

PhilSauria

Yeah, I actually don't mind some of these and will try to get hold of a few. At least Schleich are replacing that horrible brown abomination of a Triceratops with its crocodile feet and weird puppet mouth - the replacement is streets ahead. As an earlier post said, Schelich seems to be lifting their game! Colour me surprised - I was expecting another selection of cartoon animals when I checked out this thread, but there are some figures there that I'd buy this time around.

alexeratops

The sculpt of the Psittacosaurus blew me away when I saw it, I would never expect something like this from Schleich! Can't choose between this or the WS model!

The others (besides the Rex, carno, and raptor) look far above standard Schleich quality as well.

Can someone educate me on the difference between Citipati and Oviraptor, and why companies tend to make the wrong animal?
like a bantha!

Jose S.M.

I would still choose the ws psittaco because it's more accurate but the detail in the scales of the Schleich is amazing, not judging for them but in general, it looks pretty fine. Same with the Oviraptor's feathers, I've seen better ones  but these look like feathers, not raised fish scales like this year Raptors.

Libraraptor

Well I am one of those who usually bash the company.  But I give honor where honor is due.

ZoPteryx

A little more detailed opinion after some further observation.  Overall, astonishingly good for Schleich!  I'll definitely be picking up the more exotic ones.

Triceratops:  Definitely the best one they've ever made!  Front feet don't look accurate and I'd wager the curvature of the hips and back isn't quite right, but other than that it's pretty darn good.  The head is especially good.  Overall pose and colors are meh.  Appears to be inspired by this image:

Oviraptor:  Much better than I expected!  The body and feathers are really good!  The color is pretty darn boring, though.  The head is sort of zombie/gargoyle looking, can't help but wonder if that part was based on the Ark Oviraptor's head:

Thankfully they didn't copy the rest of it!  :))  I still think the Carnegie Oviraptor is better overall.

Dinogorgon:  A bit zombiesque, with sunken in fenestra and no lips, but still pretty darn good.  It might be based on this Raul Martin Inostrancevia:

Therizinosaurus repaint:  Better than the original, shame they couldn't update the sculpt too.  I wonder if the artist they originally copied threatened to sue.

Psittacosaurus:  Awesome!!!  Not sure if the hands are accurate, they probably shouldn't be pronated.  Everything else looks accurate.  Color doesn't need to be like that of the Yixian specimen, as this appears to be based on the larger and more ornamented P. sibiricus.  More specifically, it looks based on these images:

Tawa:  Surprisingly, I actually quite like it!  The overall form closely matches Scott Hartman's skeletal*:

Though they definitely borrowed those feathers from that model shown earlier in this thread.  It's definitely a bit shrink wrapped and the feet are big, but it's still impressively accurate for Schleich.  I was wondering why it had those protruding teeth in the lower jaw, and then it hit me, they looked at photos of the fossil where only a few teeth are preserved out of there sockets and interpreted them as being bigger!  Well, at least they're doing their research.  ::)

*Hopefully it was Hartman's and not Peter's, otherwise we could be in for some odd figures in the future.

sauroid

they are all nice and interesting (except the Theri) tho the "Oviraptor"'s paint job looks "unfinished", but, would they all look that way as final products? you all know what they did with the new rex (looked good as promo image, ended up looking like your typical ugly Schleich theropod figure). i am still hoping for the best that the final outcome would look as great as the promo images.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Rathalosaurus

Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Nanuqsaurus

Not bad... not bad at all! They're good figures, but they're still not perfect. Tawa could use more feathers, Psitaccosaurus needs different colors, Oviraptor needs more colors, Dinogorgon is too skinny, etc. But still a big improvement over previous years! :) Perhaps Schleich is heading in the right direction.

Shonisaurus

I'm surprised with Schleich! Her figures as mentioned are the best in years. I never lose hope with the dinosaur toy companies and fortunately I am not mistaken.  ^-^

This year Schleich will have a secure buyer,

The dinogorgon is a beauty makes a perfect couple with the inostrancevia of Safari, in fact is an outstanding figure. Great! The eyes I see are rather small, which removes beauty from the figure.

The triceratops is the best ceraptoside with difference that has been made by this company its colors are conservative (which I applaud) and although it is inaccurate according to comment members of the forum from the scientific point of view (I do not understand paleontology) I think A pretty good figure. Apart from that it is in a dynamic posture thing not seen in a Schleich triceratops

The tawa is a beauty has fortunately the appearance that I believe many also wanted the way in which the feathers are placed in the neck and end of the tail enhance their figure. The back hooves are perhaps a little big, from my point of view.

The psittacosaurus is one of the outstanding figures of the group correctly placed the plumage on its tail. It is another strong figure next to the tawa and dinogorgon.  8)

The therizinosaurus is a mere reprint of the previous colorful figure and sincerely belongs to the less fortunate time of Schleich is by far from my view of the weakest figure of the group.

The oviraptor is a feathered figure and decent but too monocolor that does not take away that it is a figure within the world of Schleich that surprises me by its accuracy.

In short the figures of Schleich 2018 are the best that have been made with difference as already commented in twenty years and I think I do not exaggerate. They have taken a giant step. Perhaps its weaker group figures along with the therizinosaurus is the 2018 velociraptor called erroneously by my feathered velociraptor.

Tyrannosaurus rex and Schleich's 2018 carnotaurus are small in quality with these figures but I also do not deny that they are the best in the company made to date. Yes, with feet too big.

Finishing with my missive this year Schleich has made a figure for me worth noting not only in the toy market but also in the world of collecting.

Of course for me it is positive that these figures are copied from paleoartísticas works from my humble point of view which has made them not be horrendous figures like other years fortunately but quite the opposite.

The more competition in the toy market, the better. I am glad that Schleich is pointing to the car a little bit which is plausible and praiseworthy within this company.

PaleoMatt

This is such a surprise and I really like all these new reveals in some way or another but my favourite is the Oviraptor(Citipati) and the Psitaccosaurus.

Silvanusaurus

Ok, my blind is well and truly mown. These are solid... nay, genuinely good designs from... Schleich... That Psittacosaurus sculpt is pretty much on a par with Papo.  How has this happened? I feel like everything I believed about reality has been shattered.
Maybe Schleich finally realised it needs to truly up its game in the wake of Safari's amazing releases last year?
I am excited by Schleich... This is happening... I will eat my hat now.
Where are the flying pigs at?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: