News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Portal

Started by DinoToyForum, July 08, 2012, 03:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the new Dinotoyforum portal?

I hate it!
4 (12.1%)
I'm indifferent!
5 (15.2%)
It has potential!
10 (30.3%)
I love it!
6 (18.2%)
I'm a T rex, rahh!
18 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

DinoToyForum

I'm currently playing around with a portal for the forum, so don't worry if the forum goes a bit weird! If I like it (honestly, I don't really know what to expect) then I might stick with it. Apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime...

EDIT-
OK - so the front page of the forum is now a portal with a suite of features, including recent posts, user info, poll, an instant chat box, and scope for much more. I'll leave it there for now. I could potentially integrate it into the forum too (as opposed to just having it on the front page). What do people think?

EDIT again!-
Now the portal is on a stand alone page: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/PortalStandalone.php

Himmapaan

Lions and tigers and bears! Oh, my!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Himmapaan on July 08, 2012, 05:45:24 PM

Is that an "I like it?" or an "I hate it?"  :P ;D

Himmapaan

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 08, 2012, 05:47:47 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on July 08, 2012, 05:45:24 PM

Is that an "I like it?" or an "I hate it?"  :P ;D
Haha, neither at present. Simply astonishment.  ;D

DinoToyForum

haha! Well, I'm sorry for springing this upon everyone, it just sort of happened without me thinking too much about it!

Personally, I like the chat feature at least. I think that had been requested before.  :)

deanm

I like it. For me its like a quick dash-board (at a glace info summary)

Metallisuchus

It's a bit overwhelming on the eyes at first, but I'm sure it will *ahem evolve to however we need it to look, or at least we'll get used to it.

DinoToyForum

I'm shifting the different 'blocks' (I call them that, for that is their name) around at the moment, trying to get a sensible layout. So if they move about, that's why! I've moved the chat into the middle, for example :)

Metallisuchus

Cool. That's what I meant by 'evolve' - you'll keep making the changes necessary until it becomes a comfortable design. Good work  :)

DinoToyForum

To make it easy to find the forum proper I've added a link to both the portal and the forum under the 'home' button in the top menu.

As I said, I may integrate the two in the future...

I'm really rather pleased with the portal myself  :)

DinoToyForum

Well, the chat box is proving popular  ^-^

Takama

It makes the forum seem to move alot faster

tyrantqueen

Meh, don't really like it :P

DinoToyForum

According to the poll you're not alone! ;)

DinoToyForum

Righty, I decided the portal was a bit too detatched from the forum proper, so I've decided to make the forum the default home page, as it was originally, only with a few additional features in a side bar. You can still visit the full portal page, including the chat area, at: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/PortalStandalone.php

Seijun

I would like the sidebar thing more if it was on the right, so it would be easier for me to ignore, but thats just me :)
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Seijun on July 08, 2012, 10:59:22 PM
I would like the sidebar thing more if it was on the right, so it would be easier for me to ignore, but thats just me :)

I've made the background for the sidebar white, so it should be easier to ignore, but hopefully it will be useful on occasions. Also, I always found the main page a little stretched so having the side bar makes the forum a bit easier to digest, for me at least :)

Seijun

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 08, 2012, 11:33:13 PM
Also, I always found the main page a little stretched so having the side bar makes the forum a bit easier to digest, for me at least :)

I've never had that problem, but my monitor is also painfully small by most people's standards (the new sidebar takes up 1/3 of the screen-space). I think I will be getting a wider monitor soon, this one is on its last legs.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Takama

I have noticed that theres a new feture that shows whos all online, and when you click to see the full list "It tells who is were, on the forum :o"   Now i feel like im being watched :(

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Takama on July 09, 2012, 01:37:22 AM
I have noticed that theres a new feture that shows whos all online, and when you click to see the full list "It tells who is were, on the forum :o"   Now i feel like im being watched :(

Now we'll know how long you're staring at that Megacerops photo  :))

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: