News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna Steppe Mammoth PVC figure - Coming soon!

Started by Eofauna, August 16, 2017, 09:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daspletodave

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 12, 2017, 11:35:44 PM
Quote from: Simon on October 10, 2017, 11:57:31 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on October 10, 2017, 09:20:33 PM
I just wish some company would makea Columbian mammoth. Its the mammoth from the La Brea Tar Pits, how has there never been a figure of it!

The Columbian Mammoth was a species of Steppe Mammoth ... it would probably be similar in size and appearance as the Steppe Mammoth figure ... the tusks might vary a little, but within each species there was so much variation...

... personally what I'd like to see is a Paleoxodon figure - the largest elephant ever, with sabre-straight gigantic tusks! (and a good Deinotheirum, of course...)   ;)

oh I didnt know that. Though I like how depictions of Columbians show them less hairy(like the Eofauna southern mammoth resin figure)than other mammoths.
and I agree about the paleoxodon!

PAPO did a Columbian mammoth years ago.

Simon

Quote from: Daspletodave on October 13, 2017, 05:18:34 PM
*snip*

Well, they didn't specifically call it that, but it was clearly a Steppe Mammoth.  Someone posted a comparison photo of the new EOfauna Steppe Mammoth next to the old Papo Steppe Mammoth on one of these threads.  They are about the same size, but the Eofauna is much more detailed.

terrorchicken

I have the Papo steppe mammoth. That's one of the reasons I would have preferred Eofauna had done another type of mammoth.  O:-)

Simon

Well, I got my Eofauna Steppe Mammoth today from Dan's Dinosaurs (Thanks Dan! Superfast shipping!!  Big Positive+++)

The sculpt is magnificently detailed and well done, from the accuracy standpoint its a "Homerun".

BUT.

I AM a little disappointed in the size.  Turns out that its definitely a little smaller and thinner than the Papo Steppe Mammoth.  So as the representative of the BIGGEST member of the species, it falls a little short (or else my other 1/40 scale mammals are slightly too big.  But I doubt it, because Malcolm was pretty darned exact in his scaling).  Ah well.  Into the box with the others it goes - for the moment. 

At least its just one figure, and not a hoard of 20.

Disappointment with one figure my wallet can handle.  ;)

tanystropheus

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 13, 2017, 08:48:13 PM
I have the Papo steppe mammoth. That's one of the reasons I would have preferred Eofauna had done another type of mammoth.  O:-)

The fact that I've missed out on the Papo steppe mammoth motivates me even more to picking up that Eofauna. The Papo steppe mammoth was well made. The other Papo mammoths, not that much (they look frumpy)

P.S: The Papo version almost looks like a different species. It appears much shaggier (and more reddish). I would imagine that the Eofauna version is more accurate, but I am no expert on prehistoric proboscedians. Still, I believe some types of mammoths were reddish in fur color.

Reptilia

As much as I like Papo I don't think they ever gave mammoth justice with their models. The original one was their very first prehistoric animal figure, I think, and it's pretty bad overall. The Eofauna version is from another planet, in comparison. The second version was better, but still very far from the level of quality they inject in their dinosaurs. I would love to see a new mammoth from Papo, reflecting the same style of the two mammals released this year. Until Papo makes another attempt I think Eofauna is the best you can get, as far as mammoth PVC figures go. Unless you like cartoony looks, in that case the retired Schleich woolly mammoth is quite a nice piece.

Archosauria

"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

terrorchicken

Id love to get the Carnegie too but Im sure its gone way up in price nowadays with it being retired.

QuoteP.S: The Papo version almost looks like a different species. It appears much shaggier (and more reddish). I would imagine that the Eofauna version is more accurate, but I am no expert on prehistoric proboscedians. Still, I believe some types of mammoths were reddish in fur color.
I noticed that too. Im gonna pretend the Eofana is a weird Columbian per Simon's suggestion. O:-)

Simon

Quote from: Archosauria on October 14, 2017, 10:27:00 PM
The Carnegie mammoth was well made.

I'll go a step further and say that the Carnegie Woolly Mammoth was the best figure that Carnegie ever made. It might be the best Woolly Mammoth figure ever made - it looks like it stepped out of a Charles Knight painting. (And I was no fan of the Carnegie dinosaur line or their sculptor)...

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 14, 2017, 10:51:42 PM
Id love to get the Carnegie too but Im sure its gone way up in price nowadays with it being retired.

Have you tried DeJankins? He has it for $15.

Archosauria

I don't personally own the Carnegie mammoth, but I've seen it in person several times. It's absolutely gorgeous.

If I would have known Carnegie was going to retire when it did, I would have bought it a long time ago. But I tend to prioritize dinosaurs over mammals.

The mammoth still seems to be one of the more plentiful of the Carnegies, and it usually doesn't cost much online. The most expensive I've ever seen it was about $35. But I haven't seen it in stores for years.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Archosauria on October 15, 2017, 02:25:38 AM
I don't personally own the Carnegie mammoth, but I've seen it in person several times. It's absolutely gorgeous.

If I would have known Carnegie was going to retire when it did, I would have bought it a long time ago. But I tend to prioritize dinosaurs over mammals.

The mammoth still seems to be one of the more plentiful of the Carnegies, and it usually doesn't cost much online. The most expensive I've ever seen it was about $35. But I haven't seen it in stores for years.

Mammoth Carnegie ratifies it has been the best mammoth primigenius done to date. It is better to have it physically than to see it in promotional photos. Impresses satisfactorily.

The missing Carnegie figures on eBay are quite affordable. The same can not be said of figures of Battat perhaps because of their scarcity and rarity. Their prices are wild and almost impossible to buy. To tell you that the styracosaurus of Battat cost me a whopping 70 dollars in a bid I say everything.

terrorchicken

^I think the tylosaurus and one of the oviraptors have become rare, and maybe the smaller sauropods.

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on October 15, 2017, 12:59:13 AM
Quote from: terrorchicken on October 14, 2017, 10:51:42 PM

Have you tried DeJankins? He has it for $15.

oh that's actually not a bad price. I haven't checked DeJankins site lately, though I did get an email from him saying the site has a new check out system. Anyone else receive it yet?

Jose S.M.

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 15, 2017, 05:59:34 PM

oh that's actually not a bad price. I haven't checked DeJankins site lately, though I did get an email from him saying the site has a new check out system. Anyone else receive it yet?

I receive it and the site is changed now, you can access the brands and there's images of the figures there, not a link to a host like before. Also there's a shopping cart feature.

terrorchicken

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on October 15, 2017, 06:47:57 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on October 15, 2017, 05:59:34 PM

I receive it and the site is changed now, you can access the brands and there's images of the figures there, not a link to a host like before. Also there's a shopping cart feature.

yeah I checked it out today and it looks really great! much easier to navigate now. Im surprised how many old retired models he still has in stock!

Irritation

Eofauna should make more prehistoric creatures. ;)

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I just wish some company would makea Columbian mammoth. Its the mammoth from the La Brea Tar Pits, how has there never been a figure of it!

The Columbian Mammoth was a species of Steppe Mammoth ... it would probably be similar in size and appearance as the Steppe Mammoth figure ... the tusks might vary a little, but within each species there was so much variation...

... personally what I'd like to see is a Paleoxodon figure - the largest elephant ever, with sabre-straight gigantic tusks! (and a good Deinotheirum, of course...)   ;)

oh I didnt know that. Though I like how depictions of Columbians show them less hairy(like the Eofauna southern mammoth resin figure)than other mammoths.

I remember hearing that the Columbian mammoth is thought to be the sister taxa to the Steppe mammoth, something like this:

M. meridionalis ------------Columbian Mammoth
         |
Steppe Mammoth
         |
Wooly Mammoth

Quote from: Irritation on October 21, 2017, 07:27:50 PM

Eofauna has stsed that's the plan!

Shonisaurus

I have the figure of the mammoth trogontherii of the Eofauna brand and I can affirm that it is superior with difference to that of the Papo brand, or at least I like it better.  ^-^

I hope they make dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in sizes for my canons of acceptable toy dinosaur beauty, that is, a medium-large size because they will be more detailed. That is my dream.  :P

Anyway, seeing the quality of this company I will not "disgust" a figure to scale as the extraordinary company Invicta pioneer in the production of prehistoric toys and dinosaurs.  ;)

Eofauna

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 24, 2017, 04:19:33 PM

I remember hearing that the Columbian mammoth is thought to be the sister taxa to the Steppe mammoth, something like this:

M. meridionalis ------------Columbian Mammoth
         |
Steppe Mammoth
         |
Wooly Mammoth

Quote from: Irritation on October 21, 2017, 07:27:50 PM

Eofauna has stsed that's the plan!

For your info, both: M. primigenius and M. columbi are direct descendants of M .trogontherii.

Shonisaurus: We are reading carefully all your (collectors) comments in order to improve our future models.  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: