News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Reevaluating Chilesaurus

Started by suspsy, August 16, 2017, 02:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Turns out this little herbivore may be one of the most important transitional fossils in the long history of evolution!

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40890714
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Neosodon

I've always been interested in finding out more about the first herbivorous dinosaurs since little seems to be known about them. But what's with the only 2 fingers? I'd like to hear that explained.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

PaleoMatt

Does this add even more credibility to the new family tree hypthesis?

Flaffy

I've always thought that there was more to this little guy, unfortunately Yi Qi took the spotlight.

ceratopsian

Quote from: PaleoMatt on August 16, 2017, 03:12:20 PM
Does this add even more credibility to the new family tree hypthesis?

That is my understanding.  The article itself is short and not hidden behind a paywall, so worth a look.

I was thrown when I saw a brief newspaper article this morning by Chilesaurus being late Jurassic in age.  But of course the hypothesis is that there is a lengthy ghost lineage lurking behind it.

stargatedalek

Nice to see this finally being published, was among the people saying it was probably a basal ornithopod and not sauropod from the beginning.

Sim

Andrea Cau wrote a good blog post about this: http://theropoda.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/chilesaurus-e-un-ornithischio-in.html

The authors of this new study that finds Chilesaurus to be an ornithischian are two of the authors of the recent Ornithoscelida hypothesis, and like in that earlier study there are still important basal dinosaurs that have not been included in the analysis!  Even worse is that Chilesaurus has initially been found to be a tetanuran with some ornithischian-like features, and this new analysis doesn't include any (other) tetanurans!  So of course Chilesaurus is going to be found to be an ornithischian, since none of the theropods it's like have been included, so it will end up appearing closer to other animals it's like, in this case ornithischians.  This is just absurd...  As Andrea Cau said, if you want to show Chilesaurus is an ornithischian, you have to include all the other possibilities, especially tetanurans.  Without tetanurans, the analysis is inadequate at showing what it claims.

In the BBC article, it looks like the Papo running T. rex is used for the silhouette in the dinosaur family tree image.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Sim on August 16, 2017, 06:34:15 PM
......  this new analysis doesn't include any (other) tetanurans!  So of course Chilesaurus is going to be found to be an ornithischian, since none of the theropods it's like have been included, so it will end up appearing closer to other animals it's like, in this case ornithischians.  This is just absurd...  As Andrea Cau said, if you want to show Chilesaurus is an ornithischian, you have to include all the other possibilities, especially tetanurans.  Without tetanurans, the analysis is inadequate at showing what it claims.

Is it true that they didn't include any tetanurans?  In their dataset, they list genera like Cryolophosaurus and Sinosaurus.  Aren't they within Tetanurae?  But I'm not a scientist, so might misunderstand here.

Sim

That's a good point, ceratopsian, as Cryolophosaurus and Sinosaurus have been found to be tetanurans at times.  However, they might not be tetanurans, for example in the current Theropod Database phylogeny they are found outside Tetanurae and tentatively within Dilophosauridae: http://theropoddatabase.com/Phylogeny%20of%20Taxa.html

ceratopsian

Thank you Sim, that's a good resource to which you've given the link.

ZoPteryx

Hmm, not sure I'm quite buying this or the Ornithoscelida hypothesis at this point, not without a better matrix at least.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.