News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Mononykus on December 24, 2017, 04:20:58 AM
I also didn't get the Uintatherium as it looked rather drab to me, especially in comparison to the recent Collecta, and the criss-crossing lines (cracked skin?) don't really appeal to me.

I think the "drabness" contributes to the realism. It looks believable, perhaps even more so than the CollectA version. I would imagine that the actual animal appeared very similar to the WS model.

PhilSauria

Great post - well illustrated and I especially found the comparison pics helpful. Thanks for this public service / consumer assistance. Getting these anyway but this gives me a better idea of what I will be ending up with.

Mononykus

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 24, 2017, 04:44:22 AM
I would imagine that the actual animal appeared very similar to the WS model.
You may be right, and Safari's publicity shots often don't do the figures justice.
But really, I am happy to just have a choice among Uintatheres after so many years with just a crappy chinasaur and unobtainable Playvision.

Shonisaurus

The uintatherium is a poor figure as it is represented here. We only have as you say a very bad Chinese version (I have it), the one of Play Visions that is impossible to find in the market, and that of Collecta.

Safari seems to me more realistic and I think it is on par with that of Collecta, which I regret in both that they did not do it with a medium-large size like Collecta's megacerops. On the other hand the pachyderm skin of the uintatherium of the Safari brand is more realistic in the sense that it imitates the rhinos or elephants, that of Collecta is very beautiful and I sincerely like it more than Safari, the latter being more accurate but can be a simple appreciation.

I would like the companies of toy dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals that are not well represented and that are important and emblematic, such as the uintatherium, elasmotherium or paraceratherium, to name three examples.

amargasaurus cazaui

Will be getting that trike for certain along with the Regaliceratops, but I had noticed the triceratops horns and frill patterning/shape....epocippitals, as well. Did anyone else notice anything that seems off there or might be just me....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Albertosaurus

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5491254550

It is incredible how a proper paint job shows how good the sculpts in some dinosaur toys are. That is the only reason I keep buying these, because I will repaint them. Companies constantly ruin the sculpts with horrendous paint jobs...

I love Doug figures, though I wish he didn´t make the scales so exaggerated.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 24, 2017, 02:54:45 PM

It is incredible how a proper paint job shows how good the sculpts in some dinosaur toys are. That is the only reason I keep buying these, because I will repaint them. Companies constantly ruin the sculpts with horrendous paint jobs...

The scales are made based on the Lane fossil, which shows scales that in real life are almost as big as the extended palm of a hand.

Albertosaurus

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on December 24, 2017, 02:58:33 PM
Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 24, 2017, 02:54:45 PM

The scales are made based on the Lane fossil, which shows scales that in real life are almost as big as the extended palm of a hand.

I know, but even though they are still way too big, and I am not referring only to the trike, but this applies to the rest of his figures. In most of the dinosaurs, when downsized,  you shouldn´t be able to see any scales at all, but a leathery skin. Anyways this is a common mistake that happens in almost every toy dinosaur figure, but luckily it is something that doesn´t happen that much in bigger model kits.

Jose S.M.

I personally prefer scales on the toy figures, I like the textures hehe, smooth and wrinkly looks better in model kits I admit. I don't think the colors of Trike are bad for a toy, but since the sculpt is so nice I'm seriously considering finding an artist that can repaint it.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on December 24, 2017, 03:58:31 PM
I personally prefer scales on the toy figures, I like the textures hehe, smooth and wrinkly looks better in model kits I admit. I don't think the colors of Trike are bad for a toy, but since the sculpt is so nice I'm seriously considering finding an artist that can repaint it.

I prefer wrinkled skin, which is one area I feel that Carnegie got right.

Shonisaurus

As long as they are detailed I do not have the slightest inconvenience of the figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals being made at small scales. There are small and very well made figures of dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures. For example, Papo's tupuxuara is a great figure and is of a very small size and the dinosaur miniatures of Favorite, Collecta or Safari are fabulous.

But honestly for me, the larger size scales of dinosaurs are more attractive, I understand that as long as they are well made, they are more awesome. I sincerely and do not intend to offend any member of the forum I am very happy that the figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Safari this coming year 2018 both those made by Doug Watson and those that are not, are made to larger size. Each one of us has an appreciation, but honestly I like larger sizes in any prehistoric animal figure, but I also like the figures to scale and size more loose.  :)

Sim

Shonisaurus, I think you're misunderstanding, due to two completely different meanings of the word "scale" in English.  "Scale" can mean the size of a representation relative to the actual thing, OR, "scale" can mean a type of integument covering some animals like in crocodilians, lizards, snakes and bird feet.  In this case, people were talking about the type of integument, with what they think the skin should look like / how visible the scales covering the animal figures should be.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on December 24, 2017, 06:36:04 PM
Shonisaurus, I think you're misunderstanding, due to two completely different meanings of the word "scale" in English.  "Scale" can mean the size of a representation relative to the actual thing, OR, "scale" can mean a type of integument covering some animals like in crocodilians, lizards, snakes and bird feet.  In this case, people were talking about the type of integument, with what they think the skin should look like / how visible the scales covering the animal figures should be.

I already understand refers to warts or integuments. Thanks for the clarification and Merry Christmas to all!

Cephalopod

Hope you all had an wonderfull christmas. Could somebody please post pictures of the eyes of the Malawisaurus?
Ink ink ink, cephalopods don't stink... so does their ink. I think.

Lanthanotus

Photo taken from my review soon to be seen on the blog (if not anyone was faster than me on that :P). That white spot is no reflection, but actually painted. The eye on the other side missed that spot though. Can't show anymore, as I already repainted the whole thing.

Minmiminime

I got the Malawisaurus too, and I love it. It's certainly very striking. To me, it perfectly captures the structural balance and elegance the living creature would have possessed ^-^
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be very interested to see your repaint!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Cephalopod

:o its eye or her eye dont know What sex it is, looks Beautifull!!!! Thankyou for shaming. I love it When a figure has Beautifull eyes. It is quite a small Figure is it not?

Lanthanotus

It is... like 36 cm long and 9.5 cm high (click)

Shonisaurus

It's more or less than the disappeared Carnegie's saltasaurus. It is a medium-small figure is not bad. The most important thing is that it is beautifully modeled and that the figure is better in non-commercial photos than its initial promotional image.

Cephalopod

Cant wait to add it in my collection. Good size too. Not too big

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: