News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 04, 2018, 07:37:07 PM
By the way, when will the prestigious magazine Prehistoric Times reveal what prehistoric animal or dinosaur figure has been the winner this year? I would like to know who gets the distinction this year. It has been a year with a lot of competition in good figures, by all companies.

But honestly and I know it is very risky on my part I think the winner can be Safari, by pure intuition, for example his feathered tyrannosaurus rex has been a very good figure, without belittling other figures.

They haven't had the vote yet. The publisher tells me he will ask for votes in the next issue.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 05, 2018, 08:37:43 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 04, 2018, 07:37:07 PM
By the way, when will the prestigious magazine Prehistoric Times reveal what prehistoric animal or dinosaur figure has been the winner this year? I would like to know who gets the distinction this year. It has been a year with a lot of competition in good figures, by all companies.

But honestly and I know it is very risky on my part I think the winner can be Safari, by pure intuition, for example his feathered tyrannosaurus rex has been a very good figure, without belittling other figures.

They haven't had the vote yet. The publisher tells me he will ask for votes in the next issue.

Thanks for all the information Doug. I hope the best one wins. I want one or more of your figures to win the first prize.

Jorgesaurus

thanks for the information Mr. Watson I take this opportunity to tell you that the criticisms that you have made previously do not take them into account as their creations are impressive I hope soon you can make a stegosaurus for 2019 thanks Mr..watson

EmperorDinobot

I already want to know what is in store for next year!

Paleodude

Received the new Ankylosaurus and Anzu for the holidays and I have to say huge props to Safari. The Ankylosaurus is one of my new favorite figures and scales really well. Hopefully I can pick up some of the new mammals but until then I'll enjoy my new pudgy tank.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on January 07, 2018, 01:06:30 AM
I already want to know what is in store for next year!

Me too!

By the way, the Dimetrodon is already availabe to buy in the Safari website.

Moodyraptor

My malawisaurus arrived today!  I absolutely love it, such a great model, with a lovely colour scheme.  Pictures don't do it justice  ;D

Dromaenychus

Got my final Safari dinos for the 2018 collection today (I ordered them yesterday morning, too) Malawisaurus is so much smaller than I thought, but long. It's pretty nice, the only thing I don't like is the white markings on the neck and face. you can see the brush strokes and it's just messy. Dimetrodon is a lot darker than the painted prototype shown in the website. The sail is a dark mustard, although pictures make it seem lighter. Overall it is a very nice Dimetrodon, looks like an animal, not a movie monster.

SidB

That's the unpredictability with these fine sculpts - the paint job on my Malawisaurus is much cleaner,

Paleodude

Not sure if it was brought up but it looks like the coloration of the Anzu is not 100% original to say the least https://www.deviantart.com/journal/It-s-raining-cats-and-Anzus-725727413. The actual art is under a creative commons license so it would've been fine had they credited the artist but right now it just looks like a blatant copyright infringement.

Shonisaurus

The true and true that the colors of the anzu are identical to the deviantart anzu still reached an agreement with the artist for that figure had that painting. On the other hand the oviraptor with Nest of Safari is identical to a figure of Luis Rey the great Mexican paleoartist, I do not know if they are violation of rights or not, the truth and truth that I prefer that paleoartistísticas works of art toy are based on works of real paintings, that yes with the consent of the author.  :)

As long as I enjoy the author's assent I do not see anything wrong with a dinosaur or prehistoric animal made by a toy dinosaur company, in this case Safari is based on a paleoartistic work, both pictorial and sculptural.  ^-^

John

Quote from: Paleodude on January 16, 2018, 07:52:08 PM
Not sure if it was brought up but it looks like the coloration of the Anzu is not 100% original to say the least https://www.deviantart.com/journal/It-s-raining-cats-and-Anzus-725727413. The actual art is under a creative commons license so it would've been fine had they credited the artist but right now it just looks like a blatant copyright infringement.
Again with claims of "infringement" and "stealing somebody's art"?I keep seeing it pop up again and again and again...This type of nerd "outrage" gets very tiring.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Patrx

Ah, disappointing. If it works the same way with this sculptor's pieces as it works with Doug's, I presume the sculptor found and mimicked that color scheme for the prototype, and sent it to Safari for approval. It's unlikely, in that case, that Safari itself was unaware of Elijah Shandseight's original work.

Reptilia

Can't remember if I asked this already before, but how can you copyright a combination of colours?

Sim

I like Safari very much.  I don't want to post something that could cause heated responses.  However, I feel I should post this.  The Wild Safari Anzu as a sculpture looks like it might be inspired by a scrapped design for Saurian's male Anzu, the one that can be seen in the "Scrapped Anzu colors" image near the bottom of this page: http://sauriangame.wikia.com/wiki/Anzu

Reptilia

Safari relies on preexisting paleoart exactly like other companies, nothing strange.

John

Quote from: Sim on January 16, 2018, 11:33:25 PM
I like Safari very much.  I don't want to post something that could cause heated responses.  However, I feel I should post this.  The Wild Safari Anzu as a sculpture looks like it might be inspired by a scrapped design for Saurian's male Anzu, the one that can be seen in the "Scrapped Anzu colors" image near the bottom of this page: http://sauriangame.wikia.com/wiki/Anzu
It's impossible to tell without knowing who the sculptor of Safari's Anzu is.For all we know,the mystery sculptor may even be the one who designed the dinosaurs for that game and we don't know it... :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

IrritatorRaji

I'm all for inspiration but this is just straight up copying

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on January 27, 2018, 02:21:03 AM
I'm all for inspiration but this is just straight up copying

To that I say: who cares? It's not like a green bird with a red head is that original of an idea anyways. Color schemes aren't copyrighted.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ditto.  Ford makes a red car, toyota makes a red car, ect, ect...  it's not like they are copying it exactly or trying to pass it off as the artist's work. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: