News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Transformers "Power of the Primes" Dinobots

Started by Loon, September 10, 2017, 12:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Didn't know the english names for these, now I understand where Rebor got the nick for their alleged Stegosaurus. How prosaic?

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Good grief, that beast mode looks awful (NOT because it's inaccurate, I couldn't care less about that, since that is how he appeared in the show). This why I am a fan of traditional mech alt modes for Transformers- all those kibbly bits don't look as bad because robots and machines are generally blocky. But having an alt mode based on such an organic shape makes it look very bad to me.

Keep him in robot mode, yeah?

suspsy

All things considered, I think Dinobot looks pretty good in beast mode. There was no way they were ever going to be able to engineer a toy where everything is concealed and looks perfectly smooth. Such feats are simply impossible.

Now bring on Megatron. Yesssssss.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ITdactyl

Wow.  Dinobot is near perfect screen to toy project.  Kudos to the masterpiece designers.  I want one, but that $250 price point....

Can't imagine how much Barney-Megatron would cost if Dinobot is the point of comparison.

Brontozaurus

I really want to see how this toy transforms, since the show threw out how the toy worked and made a transformation that was basically physically impossible. Until now, anyway.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

suspsy

I'm probably not going to be getting Dinobot due to the price tag, but I would probably shell out for Megatron.

suspsy

Behold the first wave of Dinobots! We begin with Slash the relentless tracker, newest member of the team and the first female.

Untitled by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Slag the surly flamethrower. His new official name is Slug, but he'll always be Slag in my book.

Swoop the affable bombardier.

Grimlock the arrogant badass and undisputed leader.

Group shots. Grimlock's battle axe and Slash's boomstick are not included with them.

Sludge and Snarl are due out in the spring. Once I get them, I'll post more pics, including the combined form!

ITdactyl

Glad to find someone else who likes this set.

I don't have Slash yet though... too many hoarders....

Also, Slag... the ultimate potato....

suspsy

Quote from: ITdactyl on February 19, 2018, 01:57:59 AM
Glad to find someone else who likes this set.

I don't have Slash yet though... too many hoarders....

Also, Slag... the ultimate potato....

Slash was definitely the hardest one to find in stores. And yes, Slag is pretty dumpy in dino mode. That's the price of being a combiner limb.

amargasaurus cazaui

I keep looking for Swoop in particular...with that blue chest he is quite reminiscent of the original diaclone verson that preceded the transformers line. Swoop was also the most short lived and difficult of the set when they were released as generation one figures and was withdrawn from the market seemingly before six months passed.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Patrx

Mostly, these are pretty cool - and kind of massive! But, have Grimlock's feet always been so, er, stumpy?

ITdactyl

This iteration of Grimlock suffered from tiny toes and swollen tail.  Still, Grimlock  is king....

suspsy

Quote from: Patrx on February 19, 2018, 03:22:39 PM
Mostly, these are pretty cool - and kind of massive! But, have Grimlock's feet always been so, er, stumpy?

Like Slag's dumpy dino mode, Grimlock's feet are the price of being a combiner.

Patrx

Quote from: suspsy on February 19, 2018, 05:30:44 PM
Quote from: Patrx on February 19, 2018, 03:22:39 PM

Like Slag's dumpy dino mode, Grimlock's feet are the price of being a combiner.

Alas! Well, the combiner gimmick is definitely cool.

suspsy

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 19, 2018, 03:23:50 AM
I keep looking for Swoop in particular...with that blue chest he is quite reminiscent of the original diaclone verson that preceded the transformers line. Swoop was also the most short lived and difficult of the set when they were released as generation one figures and was withdrawn from the market seemingly before six months passed.

Yeah, I'm glad that they gave him the cartoon-accurate blue chest. I had at least two G1 Swoops as a kid because the damn beak was fragile as hell.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: suspsy on February 19, 2018, 10:25:36 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 19, 2018, 03:23:50 AM

Yeah, I'm glad that they gave him the cartoon-accurate blue chest. I had at least two G1 Swoops as a kid because the damn beak was fragile as hell.
Yes they were pulled from theline before the first year for that very reason and remain one of the more elusive generation one figures to find unbroken.....they also were not carried over into generation2
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Found the remaining two Dinobots at Walmart today!

Here's Sludge, the slow-witted jungle warrior.

Snarl, the gloomy desert warrior.

And here's Grimlock battling his opposite number, Hun-Grr, leader of the Terrorcons.

ITdactyl

...first pic of ol'Grim I've seen that doesn't look awkward.  I might as well buy one.  I currently have the 4 deluxe dinobros on the shelf with TF Classics Grim.

So what do you think of the set and Volcanicus?

suspsy

I like Grimlock. His T. rex mode suffers a bit as a result of his transformation (it's hard to get a decent tail out of robot legs), but he's big and solid and scary-looking. I really like how his head is sculpted in the classic G1 style. If you have the four Deluxe Dinobots, you might as well get him too. Slash as well, if you can still find her.

And here's the mighty and monstrous Volcanicus! Slash officially doesn't combine with the others, but it's possible to squeeze her onto the torso as additional armour. The sword and the axe come from other TFs. Due to Grimlock's transformation, Volcanicus' shoulders are wider than any other combiner's. He looks pretty damn formidable. I imagine all six Dinobots channelling their firepower and then releasing it in a lethal blast of flame through the T. rex head on the chest. Or in melee combat, Volcanicus can hold an opponent close to him and let the teeth do their work.

Unfortunately, Volcanicus is prone to the same stability problems as all the other recent combiners. The limbs are supposed to be interchangeable, but I found that my Snarl and Swoop don't make for sturdy legs. Results may vary.

So yeah, as a dinosaur and a TFs fan, I'm very happy with these new Dinobots. :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: