News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hao_bao

Quote from: stegosauria on May 20, 2018, 09:12:50 PM
That's really hot. Why just your Papo figures got 'exiled' for safety reason? Their materials are more sensitive to hot temperature thanbfigures from other brands?

My running T-Rex warped in the heat and no longer stands supported. I only live in the UK.

Syndicate Bias

Ah okay so i should probably store the ones that stand on two feet then. Was asking because my cerato and acro and apato did just fine

dragon53

I live in Texas where it's hot and humid most of the year. My Papo Running Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus were constantly tipping over because the toes were getting loose in the heat. Now I have them leaning against each other for mutual support.
My Papo Baryonyx tips forward, so I have its claws resting on the horns of the Papo Triceratops to keep it up.

I've seen others complain about Papo "tippy toes", so I assume part of Papo's solution was to have a supporting claw-on-the-ground such as on its Acrocanthosaurus and Ceratosaurus.

Reptilia

That's really hot. Why just your Papo figures got 'exiled' for safety reason? Their materials are more sensitive to hot temperature thanbfigures from other brands?

I only have Papos, don't collect any other brand currently. But yeah, hot temperature is quite an issue from my point of view, maybe some people don't mind but I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to stuff I like and collect. I don't think that all of them would warp or get visibly damaged, but certainly so much heat for such a long period of time tend to ruin the plastic they're made of. I wish I had some space in the basement, which is underground, where to keep permanently my collection, but unfortunately the room where I display them is upstairs and gets very heated in the summer. I guess it is better to keep them stored away for five or six months per year than seeing them deteriorating pretty fast.

Syndicate Bias

Whats the highest temperature they can be in?

Reptilia

I don't know, really.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on May 20, 2018, 10:49:25 PM

I only have Papos, don't collect any other brand currently. But yeah, hot temperature is quite an issue from my point of view, maybe some people don't mind but I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to stuff I like and collect. I don't think that all of them would warp or get visibly damaged, but certainly so much heat for such a long period of time tend to ruin the plastic they're made of. I wish I had some space in the basement, which is underground, where to keep permanently my collection, but unfortunately the room where I display them is upstairs and gets very heated in the summer. I guess it is better to keep them stored away for five or six months per year than seeing them deteriorating pretty fast.

Interesting, I thought you have a few REBORs as well. I suppose you are going for the 'life-like' models/brands. In that case, Eofauna, Vitae and PNSO would fit smoothly into your collection. Although, PNSO isn't super consistent (in terms of aesthetics or accuracy) and are a bit deluxe in size... Also, definitely pick up Mattel's T-rex and Mosasaurus (I absolutely love my T&T and Carnotaurus). You won't regret it.

stegosauria

Really thanks for the answers! While I just have four Papo figures (Stegosaurus, steppe mammoth and just recently Pachyrhinosaurus and the purple Acrocanthosaurus) but I have two large PNSO figures which are vinyl and my room became really hot also in summer (six windows towards west plus it's mansard). Probably should find a safe place for them.

Syndicate Bias

My house tends to get around 80s sometimes but usually at 70 or lower. But i have mine in my closet so its usually like high 70s there or low 80s when its hot. Hope that's alright

Shonisaurus

Another video of the iguanodon by Papo de Kathrins Dinoversum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKxAqPUU2o4

Honestly I think it's an improvement over his Papo parasaurolophus.

The painting I see that yes too bright and sometimes neglected in regard to that figure. The positive thing is that you can see the teeth if you force the articulated jaw a lot, which is very difficult to handle.

But in general the figure is remarkable.

Reptilia

Got the new Papos in the mail yesterday, and I'm totally blown away by the overall quality, they've really outdone themselves this year. Must admit I was dead wrong on the Iguanodon at the beginning, you gotta hold it in your own hands to fully appreciate its beauty. The articulated jaw, as someone pointed out earlier, doesn't add much to the figure, but if you keep it closed it definitely is its natural position. And if displayed from the right side the seam is virtually invisible and the model looks wonderful. As for the other two I probably already said enough in this thread, so I'll confirm that both (Acrocanthosaurus and Therizinosaurus) are top class figures and must-haves for all collectors. Not a 2018 piece but the cave bear is pretty cool too, it displays a lot of detail and character, glad I've snagged it in the order.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Reptilia on May 22, 2018, 09:48:41 PM
Got the new Papos in the mail yesterday, and I'm totally blown away by the overall quality, they've really outdone themselves this year. Must admit I was dead wrong on the Iguanodon at the beginning, you gotta hold it in your own hands to fully appreciate its beauty. The articulated jaw, as someone pointed out earlier, doesn't add much to the figure, but if you keep it closed it definitely is its natural position. And if displayed from the right side the seam is virtually invisible and the model looks wonderful. As for the other two I probably already said enough in this thread, so I'll confirm that both (Acrocanthosaurus and Therizinosaurus) are top class figures and must-haves for all collectors. Not a 2018 piece but the cave bear is pretty cool too, it displays a lot of detail and character, glad I've snagged it in the order.

I am happy to hear from you that the iguanodon is much better to see it physically, I suppose that when I buy it I will have another different valuation. With regard to the therizinosaurus and acrocanthosaurus of Papo 2018 are outstanding figures. They will be figures of the year along with other prehistoric collection animal toy companies.

Although I believe from what is said in the forum that it is not a scientific figure I understand positively that we are going to take many members of the forum a pleasant surprise in relation to the quetzalcoatlus of Papo, despite the criticism is one of my favorite figures of Papo 2018 together with the acrocanthosaurus and the almighty therinosaurus.

PhilSauria

Looking forward to these! Can't get 'em over here yet but when you can I will. Glad I held off on the Acrocanthosaur; I like the new colour scheme much better, even if I'm not a fan of figures leaning down. I have had the Cave Bear for a while now and really like this one (aside from wishing that it had been a bit bigger, but the amount of detail is superb).

Shadowknight1

On the one hand, I love the more naturalistic stripes and pattern on the new Acro.  On the other, I love how the original colors accentuate the spine.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Shonisaurus

The truth is that this year (I already predicted it before the new figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals were revealed) has been full of good and outstanding presentation of figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals by all brands of toy and it is not an exception the company Papo as it is obvious.

Except for the amargasaurus I understand that all the figures of Papo 2018 have had honorable score and high scores in the worst case in absolute terms.

dragon53

Shonisaurus

It is curious how a change of painting in a dinosaur causes it to go from being a good figure to an outstanding one. This is the case of Papo's acrocanthosaurus.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 23, 2018, 06:27:37 PM
It is curious how a change of painting in a dinosaur causes it to go from being a good figure to an outstanding one. This is the case of Papo's acrocanthosaurus.

They already had a fantastic sculpt, all they needed was an equally as amazing paint job :)

Atokensis

Just arrived! Thank you to Everything Dinosaur for the amazing service, speedy shipping from the UK, and wonderful models.

The iguanodon isn't as bad as I thought when I saw it in person! I still wish it didn't have an articulated jaw, but it's still a great figure regardless! And sort of resembles Aladar from Disney's dinosaurs movie.

The Therizinosaurus is an amazing work of art. The sculpt is very detailed, like most papo figures, and the paint is naturalistic and beautiful. It stands taller than the papo standing T.rex, making it one of the tallest papo figures!

Atokensis

Here are a few comparisons:
If you would like to see a specific comparison (with the figures that I currently have), feel free to ask!

Standing brown T.rex and Iguanodon

Spinosaurus and Iguanodon

Allosaurus, Carnotaurus and Iguanodon

Velociraptor and Iguanodon

Standing green T.rex and Therizinosaurus

Spinosaurus and Therizinosaurus

Velociraptor and Therizinosaurus

Brachiosaurus and Therizinosaurus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: