News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Personally I'm in no hurry since I'll have to wait for temperatures to cool down to order the two new models. Guess I'm gonna end up getting them by late september, so for that time they'll be available from all online sellers, ED included.

Syndicate Bias

Good idea. Im worried my papo quetzalcoatlus is gonna suffer from the heat while in transportation lol

Reptilia

I remember a couple of years ago having the brilliant idea to buy the Stegosaurus from the US, around july, and when the package arrived it was like they just got it out of a oven. So yeah, not gonna risk.

Syndicate Bias

To be fair nothing serious happens half the time unless its extremely hot. I haven't had issues although this is just plastic were are talking about. Good thing my theri came out fine from its box despite the warm feel to its container. But yea i think im gonna do the same as you after in receive my rebor carno and papo quetzal this coming week and wait for autumn and winter to order again.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Ivysaur on July 04, 2018, 09:49:51 PM
Is that bad to order dinos on hot days? I received the famous Papo three today. Nothing wrong with it. And it's dry and hot since 13 June here. Only the Styraco has a paint-scratch of 1mm or smaller. Not seeable with the eye. Only when you know it's there.

Sometimes they can get warped, mostly bipedals and such. Other than that Resin kits are a big no no for me when summer hits. Usually when its cold its best for anything honestly its better to be safe than sorry

Halichoeres

PVC is polyvinyl chloride, a versatile, malleable plastic that's used for most of the mass-produced figures that most of us collect (Papo, Safari, CollectA, Schleich). It holds a moderate amount of detail and is durable, but can warp under heavy weight or high temperatures. Usually warping can be corrected by reheating the warped element, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem.

Resin or polystone is usually polyethylene (another plastic) mixed with a small amount of mineral powder. I'm not sure what kind of mineral is usually used, but it's what gives resin its characteristic rigidity, which allows it to hold extremely fine detail. It tends not to warp, but it's brittle. It's also significantly heavier than PVC. You can tell resin apart from PVC because of the greater weight, the stone- or porcelain-like surface texture, and the firmness. Resin figures are almost always more expensive, for a variety of reasons: the materials are more expensive, they tend to be larger, the higher level of detail demands greater attention to the paint work, and they have to be packed much more carefully for transport. I hope that helps!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

japfeif

Just received my Acrocanthosaurus repaint, Therizinosaurus, & Iguanodon this week. Not much to add to previous discussions about them except that they look WAY better "in person" than in the promo pics. The Acro is awesome and the other two are quite nice also....except for the mouth of the Iggy. Yeah, I see what folks were talking about concerning it's movable lower jaw. When you open it the two rectangular plastic "sides" of the mandible look really...bad. But I'm just gonna display it with a closed mouth and it looks much nicer!

IrritatorRaji

Does anyone out there speak / understand German? In this video I see him often bring up the Rebor Sentry box, but what is he saying about it? Is he comparing the two Compy models?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYrOI0ilmf4

PumperKrickel

deleted

Minmiminime

Wow. The Papo one looks like a model lifted straight from the films and frozen in time 😻

I resisted the Rebor one...my resolve will definitely fail with this one..!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on July 08, 2018, 09:17:50 PM
He´s basically comparing the figures and prefers the Papo one. He thinks the Papo one is overall more interesting, due to the pose, the headshape and the sculpted details. Sorry, if I had more time right now, I´d go more in-depth with the translation, but that´s the gist of it.

Cheers No need to go into depth, what you've provided is great!

Syndicate Bias

My quetzal has a bent upper jaw argh

Does anyone know a way to remedy this? I tried holding on to it while bending it the other way and it went back to the other side. Its just the tip of its beak

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on July 10, 2018, 12:59:53 AM
My quetzal has a bent upper jaw argh

Does anyone know a way to remedy this? I tried holding on to it while bending it the other way and it went back to the other side. Its just the tip of its beak
Have you tried adding a little heat? (blow dryer)
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Shonisaurus

Honestly the quetzalcoatlus I will keep it with jaw closed. They are the disadvantages of making dinosaurs and in this case prehistoric animals with articulated body parts.

The positive is that the mouth part is very detailed in an important part of the case. The negative is that they give of themselves, or do not open their jaws or move body parts correctly.  :(

ITdactyl

S @Syndicate Bias

I held the figure so that only the beak was dipped in hot water (boiled water then let it rest for a few minutes before doing this).  Held it in the water for about 30 seconds.  The plastic started to straighten by itself but still needed a bit of help. Pulled it out of the water and straightened with my hands.  Wasn't fully happy with the results so dipped it again in warm water for a full minute. 

Once I was happy with how straight the beak was, dunked the head in an ice bath (water w/ lots if not equal amount of ice) for another minute.

TLDR: heat to straighten, cold to set [in place].

blow dryer trick works the same way, I just prefer this method.

Syndicate Bias

Will it damage the paint?

Ceratosaurus

My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Syndicate Bias

Huh i never knew ED had a Youtube. Thanks guys ill try the blow drier first then the hot water if i feel one is gonna cause amy damage than the other

tanystropheus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on July 10, 2018, 10:36:28 PM
Huh i never knew ED had a Youtube. Thanks guys ill try the blow drier first then the hot water if i feel one is gonna cause amy damage than the other

Yeah, ED is awesome, as in the channel.

Shonisaurus

By the way, I would like to leave the dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Papo and other companies with their jaws open constantly, I believe that this can be achieved with a very resistant glue.

Could someone advise me how I could leave my Papo dinosaurs or other companies with open jaws or other body members without possibility of being closed because of their own or falls?

I am interested in it since I am very upset that the body members of prehistoric animals move involuntarily.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: