News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lizerd on August 06, 2018, 01:02:14 AM
Very easily. Vibrancy is not restrictive.

Speaking of vibrancy, dinosaurs probably had three-color vision at a minimum, and many may have had four-color vision, whereas most large mammals have two-color vision. If you have good color vision, sometimes sexual selection or other signaling functions can outweigh selection for camouflage. Not to mention, if you weigh 7,000 kg you might have a hard time hiding no matter how well camouflaged you are. So I wouldn't dismiss brightly colored dinosaurs so easily!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lizerd

Crap, I have been scientifically roasted  ;)
Well true, all good points.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 06, 2018, 03:06:44 AM
Quote from: Lizerd on August 06, 2018, 01:02:14 AM
Very easily. Vibrancy is not restrictive.

Speaking of vibrancy, dinosaurs probably had three-color vision at a minimum, and many may have had four-color vision, whereas most large mammals have two-color vision. If you have good color vision, sometimes sexual selection or other signaling functions can outweigh selection for camouflage. Not to mention, if you weigh 7,000 kg you might have a hard time hiding no matter how well camouflaged you are. So I wouldn't dismiss brightly colored dinosaurs so easily!
Another point worth mentioning is that the "default" state of birds is to be colorful, and dull colours are developed as a response to hiding on a nest for extended periods of time. This is typically the opposite of what people assume, but we see evidence of this in birds where the male is "the displayer" but will still be the camouflaged if he is the one who sits on the eggs, and birds that don't need to hide when sitting on their eggs tend to be equally colourful on both sexes (large parrots, hornbills, etc.).

Lizerd

I should probably do more reading on birds... yeah, i need to do more reading...
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

Gwangi

Not trying to be deliberately contrary here but most of the more active predatory birds have more subdued coloration. The same is true for reptiles as well. There are exceptions, sure. But a 9 inch long, seed eating cardinal hardly compares to a 40 foot long flesh-eating Acrocanthosaurus in terms of lifestyle. I know, I know. Large theropods may have been too large to hide, so why bother with camouflage. To that I say, large forest dwelling mammals manage to disappear into the forest quite well despite their size.

hao_bao

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 03, 2018, 06:25:50 PM
Compy and Quetz were not as large as I had been hoping, but that nice big beautiful Theri makes up for it.

While I would have preferred it be larger rather than smaller, I absolutely agree the compy occupies this inconvenient middle-ground where it's not large enough to be any sort of stand-in for a 1:2 prop or such, but also far to large to scale with pretty much anything. The REBOR one has the same issue, though this one is far more screen accurate.

Why would you want an ever larger compy? The Papo one is huge!

Lizerd

Quote from: Gwangi on August 07, 2018, 01:04:30 AM
Not trying to be deliberately contrary here but most of the more active predatory birds have more subdued coloration. The same is true for reptiles as well. There are exceptions, sure. But a 9 inch long, seed eating cardinal hardly compares to a 40 foot long flesh-eating Acrocanthosaurus in terms of lifestyle. I know, I know. Large theropods may have been too large to hide, so why bother with camouflage. To that I say, large forest dwelling mammals manage to disappear into the forest quite well despite their size.
You just made my day.
But how do such large creatures vanish? It perplexes me.

stargatedalek

Quote from: hao_bao on August 07, 2018, 07:32:47 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 03, 2018, 06:25:50 PM
Compy and Quetz were not as large as I had been hoping, but that nice big beautiful Theri makes up for it.

While I would have preferred it be larger rather than smaller, I absolutely agree the compy occupies this inconvenient middle-ground where it's not large enough to be any sort of stand-in for a 1:2 prop or such, but also far to large to scale with pretty much anything. The REBOR one has the same issue, though this one is far more screen accurate.

Why would you want an ever larger compy? The Papo one is huge!
It's not huge, it's about 6-8 inches long. I was hoping for 12 inches, something similar to their Brachiosaurus.

stegosauria

Quote from: Lizerd on August 07, 2018, 02:58:51 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 07, 2018, 01:04:30 AM
You just made my day.

I don't know but the Asian elephants could be really quiet as I heard. They can stand in the jungle just a few meters away from you and still you have no clue they are there. If we didn't know probably the researchers wouldn't even guess anything that big can live in the dense jungles.

Ravonium

Quote from: Lizerd on August 07, 2018, 02:58:51 PM
You just made my day.

Trees in the forest are generally several times the size of the largest animals in the forest. The trees are also more densely populous than the mammals.

What also helps is that most large forest mammals are fairly subdued colors and that they are generally fairly quiet animals unless provoked. This allows them to not be noticable in the forest from far distances.

Lizerd

Makes sense, so I guess they would just hide in trees?

Ravonium

Quote from: Lizerd on August 07, 2018, 06:36:24 PM
Makes sense, so I guess they would just hide in trees?

I suppose, although I don't really know whether they have any concept of hiding, although I think it would be reasonable to assume that they do.

yankeetrex

The order for my Theri was cancelled on amazon.  I assume most of you if not everyone who ordered one on there will get the same cancellation.  Sucks because 27 with prime was a killer price.

Syndicate Bias

I did have mine cancelled but a seller on EBay sold one to me for the same prize so i lost nothing. Hes actually selling the iguanodon and acro for under 28 dollars in total with shipping being only 1 dollar. His quetzal is also underpriced I think 24 dollars in total compared to others who seem it for 30-40.

dragon53

SYNDICATE BIAS:

Are you talking about a seller on ebay-USA?

Syndicate Bias

Nah he's in the UK but he sells them at around 1-3 dollar shipping to u.s Idk if it's the same everywhere but I got the theri from him for only 27 dollars total it arrived within two weeks. Ships by royal airmail like Everything Dinosaur

Lizerd

So much for me getting papo animals...

dragon53

SYNDICATE BIAS

Thanks, but I couldn't find that seller on ebay-UK.

Syndicate Bias

He took it down. Darn. Well not to worry! I have a U.S seller who sells some of them at the same cheap prices. This is my second fave seller.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352426235244

He's selling the iguanodon for a good price rn!

SidB

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on August 09, 2018, 09:48:29 AM
He took it down. Darn. Well not to worry! I have a U.S seller who sells some of them at the same cheap prices. This is my second fave seller.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352426235244

He's selling the iguanodon for a good price rn!

Yeah, their prices are always reasonable and they don't overcharge for shipping.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: