News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irritation

Quote from: Faelrin on December 10, 2017, 12:36:58 AM
At this point the ones I want to see made the most in the coming years would be a feathered Deinonychus or Utahraptor from them, a JW or Sideshow styled Mosasaurus, and now with JW:FK, I would like to see a repaint of their Carnotaurus in similar colors to the one in that film, aside from the Giganotosaurus being made of course. Anything else would be a nice surprise as usual.
A Stygimoloch could work too.

Shonisaurus

I would like Papo to make a gigantoraptor. It is a pretty undervalued figure in the toy market. I would like one of an acceptable size like the therizinosaurus so I would do company with the Collecta and Safari deinocheirus.

On the other hand an updated carnotaurus based on the movie Jurassic Park would be phenomenal. I'm sure he would make a very cool figure.

Arioch

Woah. That new Acro and Iguanodon are definitely a must. I'm on the fence about the Therizinosaurus, not because the amount of feathers (considering its size, that level of nakedness is not that unlikely) , but because the pose feels a bit meh and those pennaceous feathers feel a bit out of place- as in, it should not have them at all. I'll decide when I see it up close. The Quetz I must say feels a bit uninspired. Regardless of any accuracy issues that pose does not make the creature justice.

Reptilia

Seems like Papo is going to retire the original Oviraptor and the rainbow Velociraptor too.

https://animalkingdoms.co.nz/pages/papo-retiring-2018

Moodyraptor

Interesting that the rainbow raptor is going.  That's the second raptor repaint they've released and retired in the space of the year (the green one, too, last year).  I wonder if we might get a new raptor repaint coming up. 

tanystropheus

Quote from: Arioch on December 11, 2017, 09:15:16 PM
I'm on the fence about the Therizinosaurus, not because the amount of feathers (considering its size, that level of nakedness is not that unlikely) , but because the pose feels a bit meh and those pennaceous feathers feel a bit out of place- as in, it should not have them at all.

Every once in a while real life animals are engaged in 'meh' poses. Papo just happened to crystallize that moment in time.

Joey

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 13, 2017, 11:54:42 PM
Quote from: Arioch on December 11, 2017, 09:15:16 PM
I'm on the fence about the Therizinosaurus, not because the amount of feathers (considering its size, that level of nakedness is not that unlikely) , but because the pose feels a bit meh and those pennaceous feathers feel a bit out of place- as in, it should not have them at all.

Every once in a while real life animals are engaged in 'meh' poses. Papo just happened to crystallize that moment in time.
Yeah, exactly, Papo did exactly the same thing with the Cryolophosaurus and Quetzalcoatlus, just to name a few.

Irritation

Quote from: Moodyraptor on December 13, 2017, 11:35:38 PM
Interesting that the rainbow raptor is going.  That's the second raptor repaint they've released and retired in the space of the year (the green one, too, last year).  I wonder if we might get a new raptor repaint coming up.
I'm glad that I got the original Oviraptor.

Reptilia

With all these retirements going on I think we can reasonably hope for some sort of substitutes in the near future. A feathered oviraptosaur and a new ceratopsian would be very welcome in the Papo collection. I'd be over the moon for something like Citipati, Pentaceratops, Diplodocus and Giganotosaurus in 2019. But no mediocre artists involved, Mr Seo only please.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on December 14, 2017, 03:20:11 AM
With all these retirements going on I think we can reasonably hope for some sort of substitutes in the near future. A feathered oviraptosaur and a new ceratopsian would be very welcome in the Papo collection. I'd be over the moon for something like Citipati, Pentaceratops, Diplodocus and Giganotosaurus in 2019. But no mediocre artists involved, Mr Seo only please.

They probably should update with a feathered Oviraptor (even though the upcoming Schleich version is basically a feathered Papo Oviraptor...assuming that it stays faithful to the promotional picture)...or even better, as you've stated...a Citipati. I think Papo should take the lead and make a Gigantoraptor.

I wonder what would happen if Papo lets the 'other' sculptor make the highly anticipated Giganotosaurus  >:D

A Diplodocus is inevitable...it's only a matter of when.

Papo makes some very interesting pterosaurs (Mr. Seo really breathes life into them). I would love to see a Rhamphoryhynchus and an Ornithocheirus...If they go wild and release something like a Pterodaustro, even more power to them.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 14, 2017, 06:33:22 AM
Quote from: Reptilia on December 14, 2017, 03:20:11 AM

They probably should update with a feathered Oviraptor (even though the upcoming Schleich version is basically a feathered Papo Oviraptor...assuming that it stays faithful to the promotional picture)...or even better, as you've stated...a Citipati. I think Papo should take the lead and make a Gigantoraptor.

I wonder what would happen if Papo lets the 'other' sculptor make the highly anticipated Giganotosaurus  >:D

A Diplodocus is inevitable...it's only a matter of when.

Papo makes some very interesting pterosaurs (Mr. Seo really breathes life into them). I would love to see a Rhamphoryhynchus and an Ornithocheirus...If they go wild and release something like a Pterodaustro, even more power to them.

War....war I tell ya, the giganotosaurus cannot be compromised lol

indominus

So excited for the Iguanodon! Have been waiting for it for years. All the models look really detailed, but as for the Amargasaurus? It looks like a CollectA or Safari Ltd model. I can't believe Papo could make such as atrocity while keeping the detailed standards for the other figures. I hope they change it.

Reptilia

They won't change the Amargasaurus, it is a finalized product and a production sample was shown at a toy fair as early as october, I seem to remember, so there's no chance. But if the feedback will be negative they will probably think twice in the future before giving the job to that other sculptor.

suspsy

Quote from: indominus on December 15, 2017, 06:37:48 PM
So excited for the Iguanodon! Have been waiting for it for years. All the models look really detailed, but as for the Amargasaurus? It looks like a CollectA or Safari Ltd model.

That's a compliment, not a putdown.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Reptilia

He probably referred to earlier Collectas.

Moldovan0731

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 01, 2017, 04:56:57 AM
Quote from: Moldovan0731 on November 30, 2017, 06:38:49 PM
Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 30, 2017, 04:06:08 PM
I think papo has outdone themselves again, even if no giganotosaurus I think this is a good year with these two mewodels and superior repaint

I can see you were wishing hard for a Papo Giganotosaurus, but why? The Safari Ltd. Giganotosaurus (2017) is an accurate Giganotosaurus figure, and while it doesn't have detailed scales, that's not an inaccuracy either, as in reality an animal this big you would not see each individual scale. There is a review of it on dinotoyblog: http://dinotoyblog.com/2017/04/04/giganotosaurus-wild-safari-by-safari-ltd/ and several other reviews on youtube. Papo on the other hand most likely won't ever give us an accurate Giganotosaurus figure.

It is indeed accurate, but there are probably reasons for not picking it up
1) obligatory base (this might pose a problem depending on the collector's philosophical stance)
2) the zebra color, a rather strange look for a large predator

Quite frankly, the Vitae model nailed it. If Papo would make a Giga, it would probably resemble their Acro. It should be at least as accurate as the Acro unless they go full derp and hand it down to the 'other' sculptor. I still can't get over the missed opportunity with the Amarga.

My god,  that Vitae Giganotosaurus is gorgeous!  It's like Papo in detail,  but it's accurate. This makes a Papo Giganotosaurus even more unnecessary in my opinion.

Syndicate Bias

Nevertheless I'm getting both lol

Ravonium

Quote from: Reptilia on December 15, 2017, 11:30:23 PM

Judging by the fact that he referred to Safari Ltd, whose models have rarely been as bad as early CollectAs (in terms of facial expression), I don't think he's just referring to early CollectAs.

Moldovan0731

Quote from: SyndicateBias on December 16, 2017, 09:10:59 AM
Nevertheless I'm getting both lol

I read it's made out of TPR though :( Also, I noticed that the chin is not as pronounced/straigth/squared as it should be, therefore I changed my mind, I prefer the Safari Ltd. Giganotosaurus.

Rain

Quote from: Ravonium on December 16, 2017, 09:20:31 AM
Quote from: Reptilia on December 15, 2017, 11:30:23 PM

Judging by the fact that he referred to Safari Ltd, whose models have rarely been as bad as early CollectAs, I don't
think he's just referring to early CollectAs.

I assumed he's talking about the sculpting detail, not the goofy looking sculpt.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: