News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minmiminime

The colours generally seem quite muted compared to the promo pics. In the case of the Acro, I'd got it in my head that they were effectively replicating the colour scheme of the Cryolophosaurus, in the same way that the colours of the baby trike and Dilophosaurus are very similar; however, it appears that the Acro won't be as vibrant as the Cryolophosaurus. It's still beautifully done, so I'm happy with that! The Iguanodon in particular is going to be one of those figures I both love, and also derive an incredible amount of frustration from. Papo models are all just so beautiful, but so wrong!!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Reptilia

I like that the Acro's colours are not so vibrant, but honestly they weren't too bright in the promo image either.

PhilSauria

I was always going to order the Quetz and now that we have a look at the size of it - I am really pumped for this one! How could you not produce a large figure of such a large animal? Still hadn't gotten around to ordering the Acrocanth but I will also make sure I do with this new paint job. On the fence with that Iguanodon though, waiting on more photos for now. (I have the Collecta Iguanodon on order at the moment, due to land with me next month)

Reptilia

Now that you mention I think it is unfortunate for Papo that Collecta will release their take on Iguanodon simultaneously. The Collecta one shows the potential to be a killer model, while Papo experimented with the movable jaw on theirs. I might be wrong but I think Collecta's will sell more among prehistoric collectors.

suspsy

The Quetzalocoatlus' size is very impressive. The Iguanodon, however, just looks bad. Ungainly, boring colours, and an articulated jaw doesn't work for an ornithopod like it does for a theropod.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Honestly, i like everything about the iguanodon except the jaw.     

PhilSauria

Amended message - placed on wrong thread by mistake.

tanystropheus

A massive Quetz is something I haven't really seen any toy company do before. Not sure why. Quetz was the size of a small airplane.

The Iguano looks exactly how an overfed Iguano should appear. The jaw issue will probably not be a big deal --I would imagine-- if it is kept shut. Really, Papo's jaw issues begun with the baby Spino. It's a recent phenomena. They were the experts of seamless design.

tanystropheus

Quote from: PhilSauria on February 17, 2018, 05:56:04 AM
Holy cow!! Just watched Killershrewfan's video on the new Mattel releases and there were three new images of the Mosasaur I'd not seen before - that thing is huge - two hand to hold it huge! A must have for me. I think I'd better open a new bank account just for this one - lord know's what the price tag will be. This and the rex look like being the biggies of the range. If I manege to get hold of one of these it will easily be the largest Dinosaur-related figure I own.

Yes, it looks pretty good, plus it sports "real feel skin".

It looks like Recur might have competition for their blue Baryonyx.

https://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=241&itemid=30602

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 17, 2018, 05:59:37 AM
A massive Quetz is something I haven't really seen any toy company do before. Not sure why. Quetz was the size of a small airplane.

The Iguano looks exactly how an overfed Iguano should appear. The jaw issue will probably not be a big deal --I would imagine-- if it is kept shut. Really, Papo's jaw issues begun with the baby Spino. It's a recent phenomena. They were the experts of seamless design.

Hopefully it might get changed..or for all we know this model may have damaged?  The mouth is all that puts me off as well, but it is fixable, just as you said leave it shut or maybe I can epoxy it open but matching their paint sucks.. :/

ITdactyl

That quetz is bigger than I anticipated.

A pleasant surprise... now I need to make space for it....

Reptilia

My issue with the Iguanodon's articulation is more that it's there, rather than it's visible. It bothers me as a concept because they always made their herbivores without this feature, and I don't want that now on all of their prehistoric figures must have an articulated jaw. I want so badly another ceratopsian from Mr Seo, but I don't want it to be ruined by an articulated jaw like, for example, PNSO Triceratops was. If they want to experiment a change with future herbivores they rather make them with the mouth closed, that would be something different. I know that the Therizinosaurus is an herbivore too, but it is also a theropod so the articulation makes sense to me in its case.

Movable jaw aside I think the Iguanodon is a wonderful figure, with all Papo's usual plusses: dynamic pose, muscular feel and fine paint job. I'll be adding it to my collection regardless.

sauroid

the Quetz and repainted Acro look awesome. the Iguanodon's jaw looks more dislocated than "articulated" tho i might still buy it if i get the chance.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

I sincerely like the iguanodon Papo now, although I have other preferences regarding other figures of prehistoric animals of Papo 2018, I understand that what spoils it is not that it is an iguanodon in the style of the Disney movie (I respect the philosophy and artistic license of Papo), what spoils a little is the articulated jaw. That is one of my reasons and I know that I am repetitive of not being in favor of dinosaurs having no articulated body parts. As it happens with the carnivores of Papo, they are very beautiful, the parts of the tongue are more detailed, teeth, jaw but as it happens with the articulated figures it is inevitable that they have seams and what is worse that these figures are given of themselves. In such a way that you have to limit yourself to leaving the figure with your mouth open or closed for fear that for example loose joints like the jaw, arms, to give examples.

I understand that it is good that some companies make dinosaurs without articulated members. Some companies come to my mind that fortunately have not yet resorted to this method, for me they are more practical figures. That does not mean that in this case the company Papo make very beautiful and outstanding figures but with the disadvantage that those figures with articulated jaws in this case give of themselves or have seams as discussed.

Anyway I can not wait for the Quetzalcoatlus, Therizinosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus (which is an improved version of paint) to be commercialized without excluding the other figures of Papo 2018 whose purchase priority in my case is of less relevance without leaving behind be beautiful figures, but with the exception of the figure of the amargasaurus that is not the most fortunate figure that Papo has made in the last ten years, from my prudent opinion is perhaps the least quality made since the creation of the company Papo and I say this with all due respect to the sculptor and the company of which I am a fervent follower.

SidB

There - its been said: many times, if we keep our mouths closed, we'll avoid trouble! Same for this iguanodon, apparently.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on February 17, 2018, 01:44:02 PM
My issue with the Iguanodon's articulation is more that it's there, rather than it's visible. It bothers me as a concept because they always made their herbivores without this feature, and I don't want that now on all of their prehistoric figures must have an articulated jaw. I want so badly another ceratopsian from Mr Seo, but I don't want it to be ruined by an articulated jaw like, for example, PNSO Triceratops was. If they want to experiment a change with future herbivores they rather make them with the mouth closed, that would be something different. I know that the Therizinosaurus is an herbivore too, but it is also a theropod so the articulation makes sense to me in its case.

Movable jaw aside I think the Iguanodon is a wonderful figure, with all Papo's usual plusses: dynamic pose, muscular feel and fine paint job. I'll be adding it to my collection regardless.

From a purely philosophical standpoint, I don't understand why articulated jaws should be a feature exclusive to theropods....how about marine reptiles or pterosaurs? What if the feature is done seamlessly and with tact? If a dinosaur model assumes a relatively neutral stance, an articulated jaw (or bendy tail, in the manner of REBOR) allows for a mating pair or even army building (e.g. compies, Leptoceratops etc.), especially since the models are not true mirrors of each other.

tyrantqueen

The only one I would consider getting is the Quetzalcoatlus. The others are nice but not must haves.

Shonisaurus

I sincerely like, especially the therizinosaurus, acrocanthosaurus (repainted) and the precious quetzalcoatlus which, incidentally, despite having articulated jaws, no seams are appreciated.  :)

The compsognathus and iguanodon are good but not so sweet.

The one that I am least interested in is the amargasaurus sincerely I am not passionate about that figure even if I buy it I will do it for mere collecting, as for the caveman, the safest thing is that I do not buy. I prefer your old version that I fortunately have.

Reptilia

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 18, 2018, 04:22:33 AM
From a purely philosophical standpoint, I don't understand why articulated jaws should be a feature exclusive to theropods....how about marine reptiles or pterosaurs?

Personally I see the articulated jaw as an interesting feature on carnivores in general, while something a little distracting on herbivores. The Therizinosaurus represents an exception as its look is very less like a traditional herbivore and more like a carnivore of sort. Might be the Papo stylization making it suitable for the articulation trick, I don't know, but I think that works quite well. So marine reptiles and pterosaurs with articulated jaws would be (and are) fine for me, but I really can't warm up to the Iguanodon's movable jaw. As I think I couldn't to the same thing on a ceratopsian, stegosaur, ankylosaur or hadrosaur.

Patrx

Quote from: Reptilia on February 19, 2018, 09:02:23 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on February 18, 2018, 04:22:33 AM
From a purely philosophical standpoint, I don't understand why articulated jaws should be a feature exclusive to theropods....how about marine reptiles or pterosaurs?

Personally I see the articulated jaw as an interesting feature on carnivores in general, while something a little distracting on herbivores. The Therizinosaurus represents an exception as its look is very less like a traditional herbivore and more like a carnivore of sort. Might be the Papo stylization making it suitable for the articulation trick, I don't know, but I think that works quite well. So marine reptiles and pterosaurs with articulated jaws would be (and are) fine for me, but I really can't warm up to the Iguanodon's movable jaw. As I think I couldn't to the same thing on a ceratopsian, stegosaur, ankylosaur or hadrosaur.

That is interesting! Do you have any idea why it is you find the feature distracting on herbivores in particular?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: