News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archosauria

The only thing I didn't care for about the Polacanthus is its color scheme.

Other than that I thought it was a good figure.

Note, I do not own it nor have I ever seen it in person, but judging from the photos online, it seems fine.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

terrorchicken

yes it looks horrible! it doesn't even look like a dinosaur! In fact it looks exactly like a little cute smiling Korean girl!  ;D

but seriously why isnt the pic showing for me? :'(

Sim

@terrorchicken: Have you tried clicking on the links Albertosaurus posted in Reply #21 and in Reply #24?  Each has a different photo of the Papo Amargasaurus.  The website the images are hosted by doesn't allow the images to be visible on other websites (that includes this forum) unless they've been stored in the browser's memory previously.  In their place it will show stuff such as what you've described.

tanystropheus

Papo's recent dinosaurs (Spino and Amarga) look like animatronics. Even, the Tylo had an animatronics look to it.

Shonisaurus

As for the juvenile spinosaurus I disagree. True that it is not a paleontologically correct figure, but it is very detailed and well finished what does not happen with amargasaurus.

In fact I bought everythingdinosaur.co.uk figure and I do not regret having done so. It is a juvenile guy Jurassic Park style but as I say well finished. There is no point in comparing spinosaurus with amargasaurus.

Finally polacanthus foxii from my honest point of view as almost all Papo figures is not paleontologically accurate (which is not the case with other companies like Safari or Collecta to cite two examples within the toy market), but it is very well done and the only imperfection I found in his modeling was the "dislocation" of the tail end. In other things the polacanthus is a mixture of dinosaur and dragon but well detailed, the amargasaurus sincerely for the photos that I have seen is unlike most of the figures of Papo very badly finished and I still do not believe that figure is of Papo , I even thought at first that it was a joke in bad taste.

The sculptor of amargasaurus has nothing to do with the sculptures that the Papo brand has been delighted with this year. It's not Papo's style that I've met so far unfortunately.  :'(

Appalachiosaurus

This year doesn't seem to be papo's best...

Reptilia

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 23, 2017, 08:20:41 PM

Go back to the first post of this thread, you'll see the pictures of both Amargasaurus and Spinosaurus.

Minmiminime

Quote from: Reptilia on October 23, 2017, 10:05:29 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on October 23, 2017, 08:20:41 PM

Go back to the first post of this thread, you'll see the pictures of both Amargasaurus and Spinosaurus.

Ooh, I just took a look, worst fears realised :-[ What a shame! Is that a random single spine sticking off the back of its head, like some kind of absurd unicorn? It looks like one of the poorer Chinasaurs. Not Papo's finest moment
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Archosauria

The sad thing is that I'm probably still going to buy it.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Reptilia

Quote from: Minmiminime on October 23, 2017, 10:57:34 PM
Is that a random single spine sticking off the back of its head, like some kind of absurd unicorn?

More likely it's a pair of spines on the back of the head, the first two, then two very close rows of spines connected one with each other by the skin. I'm starting to consider if I should pass on this and other subpar Papos I still don't have, basically Polacanthus and Tylosaurus. The Polacanthus is overall nice, graceful pose, but the weird head-sculpt bothers me a little.

Neosodon

Amagosaurus, one of the most beautiful and elegant of all dinosaurs gets a horribly deformed head on not just one but two figures in the same year. Sad, what did it ever do to deserve this. :(

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

X

Quote from: Neosodon on October 23, 2017, 11:36:48 PM
Amagosaurus, one of the most beautiful and elegant of all dinosaurs gets a horribly deformed head on not just one but two figures in the same year. Sad, what did it ever do to deserve this. :(

Beautiful and elegant? Not exactly.

Deformed head that it didn't deserve? Yes.

Also, does anyone notice that animal next to the Baryonyx innthe Amarga picture? It might be a parasaurolophus or a maned mammal. Or maybe it's an already existing figure and I'm insane.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Reptilia on October 23, 2017, 11:22:32 PM
Quote from: Minmiminime on October 23, 2017, 10:57:34 PM
Is that a random single spine sticking off the back of its head, like some kind of absurd unicorn?

More likely it's a pair of spines on the back of the head, the first two, then two very close rows of spines connected one with each other by the skin. I'm starting to consider if I should pass on this and other subpar Papos I still don't have, basically Polacanthus and Tylosaurus. The Polacanthus is overall nice, graceful pose, but the weird head-sculpt bothers me a little.

I would have bought the Polacanthus as soon as it was available... if it wasn't for that head, I like the sculpt on the upper side of the body and the wrinkly underside doesn't bother me at all but that head is weird, why couldn't they give it a standard nodosaur head  :-\
Both of the upcoming Amargas are passes for me, I hope Papo will have figures like last year's theropods, I'm pretty sure they will.

Bokisaurus

:-[ Oh myyyy! I was so excited to hear that Papo is doing an Amargasaurus, it would have been the perfect sauropod for them to make.
Alas, the it was given to the wrong sculptor! What a shame.
The biggest problem I t think is the neck on up. The body looks fine, but the neck is too short, then the head, more than anything is way too big. The spines are big and pretty much the same size with no variation, making it look very awkward and funny, not to mention that single spike on the center that makes it look like a unicorn!
Oh well, what a shame :P

tanystropheus

I wonder if Mr. Seo cringes every time they pass along a Papo to his associates...

terrorchicken

Quote from: Sim on October 23, 2017, 08:43:41 PM
@terrorchicken: Have you tried clicking on the links Albertosaurus posted in Reply #21 and in Reply #24?  Each has a different photo of the Papo Amargasaurus.  The website the images are hosted by doesn't allow the images to be visible on other websites (that includes this forum) unless they've been stored in the browser's memory previously.  In their place it will show stuff such as what you've described.

thanks! I see it now...yep thats pretty bad. Looks like one of the chinasaurs in those Animal Planet dino-buckets.

Reptilia

When I originally checked the link I mistook the PNSO Amargasaurus for the Papo's, then had a better look and realized that it was the PNSO one. What a let down.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on October 24, 2017, 08:47:52 PM
When I originally checked the link I mistook the PNSO Amargasaurus for the Papo's, then had a better look and realized that it was the PNSO one. What a let down.

It's super depressing. Even more depressing since we don't really know for sure if PNSO will release theirs.

Why doesn't the Papo Amargo look like this?:

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-yp39j5/ujq6o/products/685/images/965/carriereamarg2__53978.1384569453.500.750.jpg?c=2

Reptilia

Since Papo's quite bad I would probably get the PNSO Amargasaurus instead. Unless Rebor (very unlikely) or Collecta decide to chime in. Or maybe Eofauna, who knows?

Takama

Quote from: Reptilia on October 24, 2017, 09:02:44 PM
Since Papo's quite bad I would probably get the PNSO Amargasaurus instead. Unless Rebor (very unlikely) or Collecta decide to chime in. Or maybe Eofauna, who knows?

Collecta ALredy has Two Diffrent Amargasaurus models

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: