News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Did all dinosaurs Kill on Sight without reason or without need of doing?

Started by Tylosaurus, September 27, 2017, 11:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tylosaurus

Hey all,

Today I had a long debate with several members from the Beasts of Bermuda community on discord that went about animals like Dinosaurs and modern day animals KoS'ing without reason or need.

Also the amount of people saying that all animals would kill on sight in real life as well, I know there have been some rare occasions here and there but still that doesn't prove much.
They linked me rare examples of such behavior happening yet it was not enough to prove me that all animals dino's including would actually do that ...
But try telling them that you don't agree with their so called thoughts or opinions that they try to use as facts...hmm what to do.
Same as with humans they kill (as Murderers do or ones that do war crimes) as well, yet that doesn't make everyone a murderer or KoS'ser in that part right.

Even so I don't actually believe that a dinosaur would kill something without reason, if it has food I would expect it being protective so it's food won't get stolen by others but other than that it won't go out killing things without reason all because it can, even getting the risk of getting injured it's self.

Anyways if any of you here at the DTF can enlighten me the accurate info on this matter than would be greatly honored <3

CityRaptor

If the members think like that, you can already tell that the game is going to be junk. Dinosaurs, like most animals, are not mindless monsters.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

Which modern animal kill without reason? I mean human being aside, and it would still be debatable.

ZoPteryx

All animals have reasons for killing, even if it's beyond the obvious things like food or territory.  Dolphins killing porpoises for target practice comes to mind.  Presumably, prehistoric creatures were no different.

stargatedalek

Animals kill because they are hungry, afraid, inconsiderate, or angry, never for no reason (that's not to say an animals reason are always justified, as some can be giant jerks). One could argue some animals like chimps could develop psychopathy like humans but that doesn't really make a difference as that would be an individual only.

Silvanusaurus

There is a very easy way to discover whether or not this is true... Go outside, look for a bird, any bird, and assuming you are not exceptionally well camouflaged, the bird will see you. Observe the actions of the bird, because according to this theory, the bird will attempt to kill you, and presumably having already attempted to kill every animal it has seen that day, without itself being killed, then it must be pretty darn good at killing. 
In which case, if the bird does kill you at this point, before laughing maniacally with it's unquenchable blood-lust, i am terribly, terribly sorry.
If however, the bird is just a bird, then you'll have the answer to your question.

irimali

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 28, 2017, 12:17:42 AM
There is a very easy way to discover whether or not this is true... Go outside, look for a bird, any bird, and assuming you are not exceptionally well camouflaged, the bird will see you. Observe the actions of the bird, because according to this theory, the bird will attempt to kill you, and presumably having already attempted to kill every animal it has seen that day, without itself being killed, then it must be pretty darn good at killing. 
In which case, if the bird does kill you at this point, before laughing maniacally with it's unquenchable blood-lust, i am terribly, terribly sorry.
If however, the bird is just a bird, then you'll have the answer to your question.

LOL.  This is the best thing I've read all day.  And now my head is full of questions.  Is it a universal human tendency to think this way, like our attraction to horror movies and grisly mythology?  Do people in other cultures (I live in the U.S.A.) get to watch nature documentaries that aren't just top ten lists of the world's most killingest animals?  I feel like dinosaur documentaries on tv when i grew up in the 80's and 90's weren't so narrowly focused on how dinosaurs killed each other.  Will the next generation of paleontologists be people who's interest in dinosaurs has more to do with fantasies of violence than anything else? 

stargatedalek

Sometimes I wonder if those awful documentaries of the late 90's through current may have helped popularize mass media click-bait. I was seeing "WORLDS 60 MOST DANGEROUS ANIMALS" and "NEVER VISIT AUSTRALIA BECAUSE THIS IS HOW YOU WILL DIE" years before I was seeing the Paul brothers put their girlfriends bodies in video thumbnails, or news articles in all capitol letters over moderate local interest stories.

Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, and History Channel are probably some of the worst offenders for spreading myths and paranoia about animals and nature.

BlueKrono

Wolves have been known to kill all of the sheep in an enclosure, and only after they were all dead did they begin to eat even the small percentage they could fit in their bellies. So humans aren't the only animals with bloodlust.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Neosodon

If you want to talk about KOS'ing just visit the isle forum. ::)

Predatory animals kill on opportunity. Most animals aren't smart enough to think about how much food they need to eat. That's why when predators brake into live stock enclosures they generally don't stop with just one. When they can find a good opportunity to kill a prey item they will generally go for it.  But the hungrier they are the more they look for killing opportunities and the more aggressive they become. A hunter that has already eaten it's fill will only really "KOS" if the opportunity is to good to pass up.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Tylosaurus

Oh I was the one that didn't agree with them it's that many got salty or triggered  to be that I didn't take their so called facts for real...  and really they went so far in to it as well it's why I wanted to make a topic they go like year we have animals we would know the latter better I was like I can have 10.000 Snakes because I run a Zoo yet it proves nothing.
I asked them to prove me all I got were sites like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHvZezSDlpA

or this:
https://www.ranker.com/list/animals-that-kill-for-no-reason/laura-allan

Such nonsense and really.. just describes how low informed these people were that I was facing...
Thanks for all your replies you people have proved how it really is and even I tried to tell them that...

this is the best forum that has common sense knowledge and logic, even on such matters like these.
This is why I came here to just discuss this matter.

Hereby I want to thank you for all your input  8)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Reptilia on September 27, 2017, 11:28:06 PM
Which modern animal kill without reason? I mean human being aside, and it would still be debatable.

Sometimes domestic cats kill for fun (or at least out of boredom). They can be quite sadistic about it. I'm sure there are other animals that do it.

amargasaurus cazaui

Also seen mothers with a nest or young in a given area stand her ground and attempt to kill anything that intrudes. Aside from just being territorial ...or hungry, or angry or provoked.......you sometimes see mother cats or dogs consume their own young as well.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Tylosaurus

Yet still doesn't mean 99% of the other animals would kill on sight without any particular reason, I do know that cats would kill to gift their owner atrophy for taking good care of them, other than that killing for fun still rarely happens.

When it comes to Dinosaurs  that are related to birds in many aspects, i never seen birds actually kill without reason, so for Dino's I would expect a similar behavior.
Cats & Dogs consuming own young would only be for survival reasons or if the young died during birth, I am sure they have a reason for doing that, since it seems very sinister for them to do such things for no reason.

amargasaurus cazaui

it seems unfair to infer 99 percent of humans might kill either....so perhaps the ratios might be somewhat closer than is being considered
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Tylosaurus Rev.A2 on September 28, 2017, 02:03:38 PM
Yet still doesn't mean 99% of the other animals would kill on sight without any particular reason, I do know that cats would kill to gift their owner atrophy for taking good care of them, other than that killing for fun still rarely happens.

When it comes to Dinosaurs  that are related to birds in many aspects, i never seen birds actually kill without reason, so for Dino's I would expect a similar behavior.
Cats & Dogs consuming own young would only be for survival reasons or if the young died during birth, I am sure they have a reason for doing that, since it seems very sinister for them to do such things for no reason.

According to Wikipedia: "Other than humans, surplus killing has been observed among zooplankton, damselfly naiads, predaceous mites, martens, weasels, honey badgers, wolves, orcas, red foxes, leopards, lions, spotted hyenas, spiders, brown and black and polar bears, coyotes, lynx, mink, raccoons, dogs, and house cats."

They can and do kill needlessly on occasion for reasons that we don't always understand. But I think it's wrong to think that is the only thing they do. Not even predators spend all their time killing.

Tylosaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 27, 2017, 11:52:45 PM
Animals kill because they are hungry, afraid, inconsiderate, or angry, never for no reason (that's not to say an animals reason are always justified, as some can be giant jerks). One could argue some animals like chimps could develop psychopathy like humans but that doesn't really make a difference as that would be an individual only.

Hmm this is probably one of the best replies I read in this thread, this is greatly something I certainly agree with 8)
If there is no reason, one won't kill, as there is no need to get it's self injured for a kill that has no purpose for being killed.

Animals; like people do experiment things there may be some rare cases here and there, Dino's would not of done much different.
Also what you said TQ makes sense :)

Other than this, everyone has put great input to this thread and that helped thanks again.

Reptilia

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 28, 2017, 01:36:35 PM
Sometimes domestic cats kill for fun (or at least out of boredom). They can be quite sadistic about it. I'm sure there are other animals that do it.

But there is a reason in such cases, instinct. What I mean is that animals do not kill on purpose just for the sake of killing. This is exclusive to the human being, I believe.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Reptilia on September 28, 2017, 10:09:45 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 28, 2017, 01:36:35 PM

But there is a reason in such cases, instinct. What I mean is that animals do not kill on purpose just for the sake of killing. This is exclusive to the human being, I believe.
Even humans don't kill without reason.

If you mean killing for enrichment or entertainment, very many animals do this. "Instinct" is just a blanket term for behavior science can't quantify, it's not really applicable to any sort of scientific discussion.

CityRaptor

Ah, cats. The most tsundere of animals.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 28, 2017, 02:38:03 PM
According to Wikipedia: "Other than humans, surplus killing has been observed among zooplankton, damselfly naiads, predaceous mites, martens, weasels, honey badgers, wolves, orcas, red foxes, leopards, lions, spotted hyenas, spiders, brown and black and polar bears, coyotes, lynx, mink, raccoons, dogs, and house cats."

I think it's rather interesting to notice that all vertebrates listed there are mammals.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: