News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Vitae dinosaurs

Started by Mauro "Raptor86", October 29, 2017, 09:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

I had been planning to buy the Zheijangopterus from that same seller, but if what REBOR_STUDIO says is true, then yeah, not anymore. Not like that figure couldn't be improved upon by CollectA, Safari Ltd, PNSO etc.

Shonisaurus

At least I have the original Vitae dinosaur figures that I bought respectively from the monsterhouse (the popular small figures) and from shop.modellpferdeversand.de the figure referring to the bloody giganotosaurus. If Vitae has closed, what are we going to do! It is bad news but there are other worse in life, we appreciate the brief moment in which said brand sold its products and as a popular saying says "what cannot be cannot be and also is impossible" resignation, there is no other.  :-\

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Leyster on January 11, 2020, 11:21:05 AM
Quote from: suspsy on January 10, 2020, 02:31:17 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on January 10, 2020, 02:16:38 PM
Cheung Chung Tat has been developing these 2 figures:

Don't know about their current status though. Haven't been updates since November 2019.

Did you read what avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO wrote? Vitae is kaput.

And in all brutal honesty, I don't consider it a major loss. Their stuff was good, but it wasn't any better than what Safari, PNSO, and CollectA offer. We're just fine without them.

Hopefully that sculptor finds a better employer.
Sorry, don't want to seem offensive, but I find this reasoning entirely wrong. Vitae was a brand that made some of the most accurate figures in a popular price, and figures of some species never represented by other brands. And they were sculted by an actual paleoartist, who knows the anatomy of the animals he represents better that various other sculptors employed by other brands (with all the respect for the aforementioned sculptors). But, even if this was not true, it would be anyway a great loss. By your same way of reasoning, we'll be fine if Collecta closes tomorrow. Who cares, we still have Safari that makes great figures. We'll be fine if Safari closes tomorrow. Who cares, we still have PNSO. We'll be fine if PNSO closes tomorrow, we still have... ops.
If Vitae really closed, these are really sad news.

It is sad if Vitae is gone. I do think they were as close to a new 1990s era Battat that we've gotten. In terms of accuracy yeah, they're no better than Safari or CollectA. But the difference is in quality of sculpt and especially paint application. This is clearly due to a higher price point. But for a minute it looked like they might merge the accuracy of CollectA and Safari with the build quality and detail of Papo or Rebor. The Zheijiangopterus is by far the best Azhdarchid available in PVC.

I don't consider it a total loss because with their "medium" line, PNSO  and also Eofauna is now basically filling the niche of "high quality high accuracy PVC figures". But I did enjoy the fact that Vitae had a smaller scale.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SidB

avatar_suspsy @suspsy is right, of course - we'll survive the rapid downfall of Vitae quite nicely, thank you. There are superb companies still around, complete with tremendous potential for the future. But the loss of Vitae is instructive. Things are seldom as solid as they appear from a distance. Our hope and optimism for the future must always be tinged with an awareness of the fragility of anything human, anything material. Vitae was a bright star that burned out quite quickly, the reason for its demise being both pathetic and absurd, going by the account of the Rebor rep. Sic transit gloria.

Halichoeres

Pour one out for the four marine reptiles they had in the works, all of them never before made. I think Leyster, ItsTwentyBelow, and others are right that this is a genuine loss.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 11, 2020, 04:05:41 PM
Pour one out for the four marine reptiles they had in the works, all of them never before made. I think Leyster, ItsTwentyBelow, and others are right that this is a genuine loss.

Woah, I never heard of this. How far along were they?

Mattyonyx

I've been in contact with Cheung Chung Tat for a long time and got multiple copies of the first three models (Giganotosaurus, Majungasaurus, Sinoceratops) directly from him. From what I've been told, the production of his models has been very troubled. Even though all of them were so accurate and beautifully sculpted, the manufacture issues are pretty noticeable in the paint application and the articulated jaws. Reading that, after a subpar work on his models, he was blackmailed by the factory itself breaks my heart.

That said, this recent news just confirmed what I suspected, and it's really sad if I think of the already planned species. VITAE was a breath of fresh air in an industry full of JP Ripoffs, so I will miss it as I missed PNSO during its temporary disappearance.

Flaffy

Quote from: Loon on January 11, 2020, 04:15:48 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 11, 2020, 04:05:41 PM
Woah, I never heard of this. How far along were they?

Loon

Hmmm, those look pretty good actually. But, I have no idea which species they are.

Halichoeres

The larger mosasaur is Kaikaifilu
The smaller mosasaur is Plioplatecarpus
The ichthyosaur is Brachypterygius
The plesiosaur is Yuzhoupliosaurus

These are from a trade show in 2018, I believe, maybe early 2019
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 11, 2020, 07:53:16 PM

Indeed, along with Shunosaurus, Charonosaurus, a porbeagle and great white.
Wish I could've taken better pics, but they were in a rly tall glass shelf.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on January 11, 2020, 07:59:21 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 11, 2020, 07:53:16 PM

Indeed, along with Shunosaurus, Charonosaurus, a porbeagle and great white.
Wish I could've taken better pics, but they were in a rly tall glass shelf.
There was a lot more to Vitae than I'd thought. I hope that Cheung Chung Tat will be able to find another means of developing and disseminating his creations.

Shonisaurus

It is a pity that Vitae has disappeared that company enriched the toy dinosaur sector, how much more variety of toy dinosaur companies existed would be much better. First Battat, then Bullyland and now Vitae, three losses that make me very sad, it's a shame.

Loon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 11, 2020, 11:54:47 PM
First Battat, then Bullyland and now Vitae, three losses that make me very sad, it's a shame.
I wouldn't say that Bullyland, particularly near the end, was as great a loss as the other two. The last figures they made worth anything came out in 2014.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Loon on January 11, 2020, 11:56:50 PM
First Battat, then Bullyland and now Vitae, three losses that make me very sad, it's a shame.
I wouldn't say that Bullyland, particularly near the end, was as great a loss as the other two. The last figures they made worth anything came out in 2014.

Although the subject of the thread is the missing Vitae dinosaurs, it is true what you say, both Vitae and Battat were companies superior to the Bullyland brand, but with Bullyland it is a brand of my young twenties and it causes me a lot of morrieña fact that it has disappeared.

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 12, 2020, 12:03:44 AM
Quote from: Loon on January 11, 2020, 11:56:50 PM

Although the subject of the thread is the missing Vitae dinosaurs, it is true what you say, both Vitae and Battat were companies superior to the Bullyland brand, but with Bullyland it is a brand of my young twenties and it causes me a lot of morrieña fact that it has disappeared.
Quite! With Battat for certain, and Vitae to a lesser degree (because of its abbreviated history), I have a sense of great potential cut short, of possibilities that are, barring the unforeseen, more like impossibilities. Not so much for Bullyland, a company with a longer pedigree of making prehistorical figures. Rather, they simply dwindled away, to be forgotten except by those with a historical memory stretching back to their childhood. Bullylands's extinction as a maker of these toys is sad in a different way, more like an ax-blow to the roots, a decline and disappearance.

Avian

I've seen a lot of Vitae figures on Amazon in a range of about 30-40 USD. I are they worth the price?
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Halichoeres

Quote from: MammothProductions on January 12, 2020, 04:09:45 AM
I've seen a lot of Vitae figures on Amazon in a range of about 30-40 USD. I are they worth the price?

They are much cheaper on AliExpress

Leyster

Quote from: MammothProductions on January 12, 2020, 04:09:45 AM
It depends if they're original figures and wich ones they were (i.e. 30 dollars for the Giganotosaurus, an hulking model like 40 cm long, is basically a gift. 30 dollars for the much smaller Sinraptor, not so).

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy thanks for the photos, I never saw them so close before!
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

That's right. It's hard though to acquire these second hand. Same with PNSO, so far. I've only ever latched onto a PNSO Wilson/Doyle combo, used but in perfect shape. That was a bargain at $70 for both. Haven't seen any other PNSO or Vitae figures used, since then.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: