News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Why We Collect

Started by stemturtle, July 14, 2012, 12:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Himmapaan

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 19, 2012, 12:14:43 AM
Quote from: Himmapaan on July 18, 2012, 10:06:50 PM
I wonder if you may have accidentally posted in the wrong thread, Amargasaurus? :)
I think I posted the statement here thinking it fit better with the thread than anywhere else, but if there is a better place or should be its own thread lets take it there instead.The context of the previous discussion seemed to be about dinosaur dealers, but if you do not scroll back and read the entire thing, (previous pages)is easy to take at face value as I did.Please shuffle it where it fits better, I did not mean to divert the flow of course.

I just wondered whether you may have been intending it as a continuation of this thread, but may have posted it here by mistake.  :) But I may have misunderstood, in which case, my apologies.  :D

Himmapaan

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 19, 2012, 12:39:31 AM

No offense, but what's your point? >:(

Are you trying to upset people by suggesting that they're no better than drug users?

I think it was intended as a wry joke.  :)) :D

(Forgive my double post; many postings at the same time!)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Himmapaan on July 19, 2012, 12:41:37 AM

Are you trying to upset people by suggesting that they're no better than drug users?

It was a poorly executed one, then.

amargasaurus cazaui

You are fine Himapaan, and I upon considering do think the topic might make a good seperate thread and perhaps draw the forum toy sellers to the bait if you seperate it. If you would like , please do so and lets see if we can reinvent the thread from the previous forum, to establish which toy dealers are present and how they operate.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 19, 2012, 12:43:19 AM

Look, my point was not to offend and from what it appears I don't think anyone else took it that way. Obviously as a collector I'm not putting myself or any of the people on this forum in the same boat as drug users. I used myself as an example in making many of the parallels to drug use and no one else. Did I not state that Roselaar's comment was beautiful? You think I would seriously interact with people I honestly equated with drug users?
I have repeatedly expressed my thankfulness to the people of this forum for the knowledge they've contributed, for helping me expand my collection, for giving me a community I've never had before. I try to contribute in kind, going so far as to write reviews to the blog. Just yesterday I sent someone a PM directing them to a figure they had been looking for that I found. I didn't have to do that, I did it because I genuinely enjoy this hobby and helping those that have helped me. In my first post in this thread I opened up in a way that I rarely do and to people I barely know simply because I know they understand. I shared the joys I get from collecting as well as my fears (and then poked fun at and laughed at my fears). I can't do that with people I've known in person my entire life! I've looked for a place just to simply talk about dinosaurs for a very long time, for you to assume that my comment was a slant on the people of this forum shows how little you actually know about me. Last I knew it was generally acceptable to take a jab at ones self for their eccentricities and if this is not the place to do it I don't know what is! If you are truly offended by what I said I'm sorry but that said, it wouldn't be the first time I offended someone on the internet. It seems everyone has since moved on with the discussion, hopefully you can do likewise.

amargasaurus cazaui

Unsure I can offer a written explanation of why I collect, but I do not feel that anything said so far is quite on target for me. I get sets for the completed feeling and knowing I have them all to refer to, but I can live without the rare new rage piece or the hard to find pink tyrannosaur with live action wiggle motion for its prey.
For me it it establishes purpose and direction to my studying and learning and a path to follow. Dinosaurs are such a broad chalk board for each of us to write our own story on. Some like tyrannosaurs...some like sea monsters, others enjoy the sauropods. I let how the collection flows to me, determine my path of interest and that in turn reinforces further collecting.
  For instance I chose to acquire the Psittacosaurus, so now I grab every item relating to that dinosaur I can find. The first acquisition was a fortunate break at the right time, which opened the door to follow a path for me.
  I tend to collect Oviraptors and Maniraptors as much as possible....reason? I have a few of their eggs and its a path that reinforces itself. I like collecting things that work well with what I am already invested into.
  Besides, you dont have to learn to grade dinosaurs, like you do with coins, comics, cards and so many other collectibles. That being said, once I acquire a dinosaur for my collection it is hard for me to let go of it. It is family, part of the herd and belongs. I am rather picky about that...not sure why.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Roselaar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 19, 2012, 12:43:19 AM

Says you. I had no problems with it. One of the great things about the sense of community here is the general ability to recognize sarcasm in posts without getting offended by it, especially when it's so obvious. I seriously don't get what was so upsetting about Gwangi's comments. Especially when I'm the one "handing the joke" to him in my own sarcastically toned post preceding his.

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Gwangi on July 17, 2012, 09:54:23 PM
Quote from: Metallisuchus on July 17, 2012, 07:33:02 AM
Well, I think compared to most serious drug addicts, we don't dish out as much money, and our figures don't collapse our veins or burn holes through our brains. Seriously, have you ever (ahem) (ahem) for dinosaur figures? Didn't think so, haha.

Some of them cost quite a lot of money and while they don't kill us in a direct way I've seen some collectors who are so obsessed with their hobby that they alienate their family and fall into financial ruin which to me is not much better than killing yourself with drugs (I'm mostly talking about people on shows like Hoarders). As for the (ahem) (ahem) part, I'm not sure I wouldn't do that for an entire set of Battat dinosaurs but this is a family friendly site so we probably should keep it clean and skip on the details.  :))

Quote-They're generally cheaper
I dunno, I think there are some drugs that are probably cheaper than some toys.

Quote-They tend to be less frowned upon by others
Can't argue with that.

Quote-They're usually less illegal
You got me there too. There are some legal drugs though.

Quote-They stick around longer: drugs are always soon gone, while dinosaur figures can last a life time
They do stick around longer but if your anything like me your always wanting that next "fix". "Well I got that dinosaur finally, I think I'll go on eBay and see what I can get next."

Quote-They're not as bad for the body.
Maybe not physically...

Quote-They're easier to sell to others, especially to push on kids
Some kids really like drugs too.

Quote-They're often easier to get your hands on, being openly available
I don't think so. I think I could score most drugs quicker than I could a Sega Tyrannosaurus.

I'm starting to question where this thread has gone.  :-\

LOL about the Battat thing. Well I would hope people wouldn't alienate their family over dinosaur replicas. Serious drugs cost a lot in the sense that those addicts need those drugs all the time, so even if they're cheap, buying constantly probably costs more than what we put out for dinosaurs. Speaking of which, I just spent $60 of my b-day money on some figures. I'll probably post them soon, though they're nothing really rare.

Takama

Post deleted

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.