News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

That Iguanodon looks lovely! CollectA is making up for the lack of ornithopods from this past years with the quality of this ones.

suspsy

Hot diggity damn! CollectA hits it out of the park once again! These three look fabulous! And speaking as the person who reviewed the original Iguanodon figure, it's about bloody time!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ceratopsian

I'll certainly be reaching for my cash/card to buy the Iguanodon, in addition to the previously revealed dinosaurs.  I might even branch out into therapsids and go for the Estemmenosuchus.  And I like the iguanodontid theme very much.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: ceratopsian on November 10, 2017, 01:41:59 PM
I'll certainly be reaching for my cash/card to buy the Iguanodon, in addition to the previously revealed dinosaurs.  I might even branch out into therapsids and go for the Estemmenosuchus.  And I like the iguanodontid theme very much.

Iguanodontid theme... maybe the will update Muttaburrasaurus, or a new and better version of Tenontosaurus. I'll be happy to get any non hadrosaur ornithopod they made, any hadrosaur too.

stargatedalek

Thank goodness I've been putting off buying any of the available Dunkleosteus or I would have been disappointed.

What can I say, I guess most large herbivores just aren't my thing, and definitely made worse by the horse spam of modern animals yesterday. ONE non-hooved animal so far this year from CollectA modern animals. ONE.

I love the soft look this Dunkleosteus has to it, it looks like an actual soft smooth fish and not one giant bicep wearing face armor. The big black cutesy eyes definitely help this one feel more real if you ask me. 28cm is also a pretty decent length, though I do wish it had a bit more lips to it, but at least it has them, even if they're folded up/super short.

suspsy

Yes, although I don't collect extant animal figures, I too am disappointed by the overabundance of horses. But then, there are a lot of young equine enthusiasts in the world.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

I hope we see more diversity in next batches, I don't collect extant either but it's always a pleasure see quality animal figures of any group.

danmalcolm

Suck an egg, papo, I'm not waiting on you anymore. I'm getting that Iggy the moment it comes out.

Ravonium

My opinions:

1:40 Iguanodon: Well, looks like those complaining about them making a Mantellisaurus instead of an Iguanodon can finally have their day. I'll probably get this one, although I think the promotional image doesn't do this figure as much justice as it could. Apart from that, it isn't an awful figure.
Scale: Approximately 1:34-1:46

1:20 Estemmenosuchus: It is definitely good to see this animal in figure form. It looks a bit odd in its pose, but it is an alright model otherwise. I think the toy fair image will do this figure a bit more justice. I will get this one. It is probably my favourite of the reveal.
Scale: Approximately 1:22-1:27

1:20 Dunkleosteus: This figure is definitely better than the Schleich Dunkleosteus. While the colour is a bit bland, this is much bigger of a problem with the Schleich. Other than that, this is probably the most up-to-date Dunkleosteus so far. I do think 1:20 is a bit excessive of a scale for this figure, but I will get it if they are going to make all smaller Paleozoic models this year 1:20 as well.
Scale: Approximately 1:25

While this is stronger of a reveal than last week, I personally think the extant animal reveal is much weaker this week. There is just 1 non-equine mammal, and it still has hooves.

Takama

YEY Another 1:40 model thats not 1:40 ::)

CollectA when will you drop the 1:40 label and just call them DELUXE FIGURES like they really are?

Shonisaurus

The three figures are excellent I will analyze one by one starting on the basis that is my opinion is simply personal taking into account my ignorance about paleontology.

The iguanodon for me is a figure that perhaps with Safari is the best that has been made of ornithopods. What I highlight most is that it does not have war paint on the face and that its colors are correct and quite conservative, something that I appreciate in an animal of those characteristics.

As regards the estemmenosuchus, it is a very long-awaited figure that I thought would never be made by a toy dinosaur company and although I would have liked it with brown or gray colors (pachyderm type) that does not mean that it is outstanding and is I see it more detailed. Made of less of the figure being mamiferoid reptile a certain fuzz on the body. I hope that like the dunkleosteos his articulated jaw does not present problems (I would have preferred that he did not have such an articulated jaw). On the other hand what I regret that will be marketed in the second half of next year, that is in the second round. They always leave the figures that interest me most for the end.

On the other hand and to finish I like that more avant-garde image of dunkleosteus since all I have independently that are great like this one for example (Safari or Favorite), I see it more realistic. Maybe I would have liked him to have pupils in his eye. As for the size I prefer in this case that about missing.

In short it has been a great week. And the three prehistoric animals in Deluxe size and what three animals! I am very happy that Collecta focuses on figures from the Paleozoic period (very little time in the collection of the dinosaur and prehistoric toy animal) and above all that we finally have an estemmenosuchus! a figure for me coveted years ago, independently that Jurassic Park has a more than acceptable but too articulate figure.

PD: I congratulate the company Collecta in that it not only focuses on Mesozoic and Cenozoic animals and has taken the giant step of making Paleocene figures. I think it can be a great year for the Safari company

Neosodon

How big are the Emastosuchus and Dunkleosteus?

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

PumperKrickel

deleted

Fenestra

Quote from: Neosodon on November 10, 2017, 05:57:01 PM
How big are the Emastosuchus and Dunkleosteus?

According to Everything Dinosaur's review:

CollectA Deluxe 1:40 scale Iguanodon model – length 28 cm, height 11.5 cm

CollectA Deluxe 1:20 scale Estemmenosuchus – length 17.5 cm, height 10.5 cm

CollectA Deluxe 1:2o scale Dunkleosteus – length 28 cm, height 6 cm

Ravonium

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on November 10, 2017, 06:09:41 PM
It would be 1:40 for a specimen of 11 metres and since Wikipedia states that the size of an adult Iguanodon was somewhere between 10 and 13 metres, I really don´t see a problem here. I don´t think it´s unreasonable to call this 1:40.

I was not saying that it was unreasonable to call it 1:40. I was actually saying that there are much more divergent figures from the label scale.

I did the scale calculation based on the minimum 10 metre estimate. I will update my post to reflect that there are various scales that this Iguanodon could be.

Quote from: Takama on November 10, 2017, 04:23:08 PM
YEY Another 1:40 model thats not 1:40 ::)

CollectA when will you drop the 1:40 label and just call them DELUXE FIGURES like they really are?

It is actually very close to 1:40 if you assume that the specimen that it was based off was 11 metres long. I apologise for misleading you with the original version of my post, where the scale estimate assumed that the figure was based on a 10 metre specimen.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Bokisaurus

Wow, wonderful new figures! Glad CollectA finally is tapping into the Permian/Devonian period, that Estemmenosuchus is wonderful and would be a much needed addition to my collection.
I'm just hoping that there will be a sauropod for next year, they are wayyyy overdue for one!

Quote from: suspsy on November 10, 2017, 03:20:25 PM
Yes, although I don't collect extant animal figures, I too am disappointed by the overabundance of horses. But then, there are a lot of young equine enthusiasts in the world.

Yeah, disappointed by the large number of horses in the extant animal reveal so far. I'm hoping that, since the horse line is separate from the other series, that maybe other more exotic and wild animals is still to come. I do love that Pere deer, it's a beauty.
I wonder if the partnership with Brayer is a big factor on why so much horses...

Lanthanotus

Gorgeous Iguanodon, I added Doug's a few months ago and I am curois how they look together... time for repainting :D

Am not one to make a hype around estemmenosuchus, but I certainly like to add another Permian creature to my small collection. Would have liked a more mammalian approach, but if I do not like it in person it's a damn good base for customization.

Quite classical approach on that Dunkleosteus. Got the Kaiyodo Dinotales one in my collection and I think I won't replace it. It got a better paint job and those plates are not as visible. From my zoological knowledge I highly doubt that any of those plates was that visible on the living animal, but rather hidden under thick skin or additional scales. Despite my favor for those anachronistic styles I could not make myself yet add that fish to my collection, but I think Schleich's or Safari's would be my choice.

Neosodon

The Emastosuchus isn't that huge and the Iguanadon is close to 1:40 so the large sizing doesn't bother me. I'll try and get all 3 if I can. The problem is that collecta uses the deulxe label as an excuse to charge allot more. I had to pay $23 about 4X as much as a standard figure to get the Thalassomedon just because it has a long neck and is labeled as "deluxe."

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on November 10, 2017, 06:37:44 PM
Gorgeous Iguanodon, I added Doug's a few months ago and I am curois how they look together... time for repainting :D

I think they will look  nice if one is repainted to match, it would be like a adult and subadult, I don't known if they will work as a male and female pair since there's like 10 cm of difference between them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: